Maintenance needed after Paint Protection (PPS) Coating?

Jaason3138

Paint Protection (PPS) coating such as ceramic coating/glass coating comes with 3-5 years warranty protection. Is maintenance needed annually or after 3 year? Or if it a apply and forget coating? Anyone send his car back to recoat annually and etc? I use to do that for car wash. What are your views, thoughts and advise? Necessary or waste of money?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

Paint Protection (PPS) coating such as ceramic coating/glass coating comes with 3-5 years warranty protection. Is maintenance needed annually or after 3 year? Or if it a apply and forget coating? Anyone send his car back to recoat annually and etc? I use to do that for car wash. What are your views, thoughts and advise? Necessary or waste of money?

From what i have researched with several detailers, usually they recommend maintenance annually? But do take note of some freelancers who are not very knowledgeable there seems quite skeptical 

• Praise 1

From what i have researched with several detailers, usually they recommend maintenance annually? But do take note of some freelancers who are not very knowledgeable there seems quite sceptical.

u will be surprise some claimed "pro" are worst.. One throw me a flashbang to frightened me how bad my paint surface w/o pps but later throw me a smoke grenade and run when he sense not right.. The other "pro" very knowledgeable but workers swiping the rotary machine from end to end on a bonnet.. 

the maintenance from ourselves as owner is to wash it and that's all..

• Praise 1

IMHO,  the key phrase is "maintenance when necessary".

Like most maintenance, I would classify them into corrective and preventive.

Corrective maintenance - any contamination out of the ordinary that requires urgent attention

e.g. bird-poo, bug , tar, concrete, water-spot, etc

Preventive maintenance - cleaning and protection

e.g.  dirt, road grime, fall-out, etc

Quick corrective action,  Regular preventive. 

IMHO, the key phrase is "maintenance when necessary".

Like most maintenance, I would classify them into corrective and preventive.

Corrective maintenance - any contamination out of the ordinary that requires urgent attention

e.g. bird-poo, bug , tar, concrete, water-spot, etc

Preventive maintenance - cleaning and protection

e.g. dirt, road grime, fall-out, etc

Quick corrective action, Regular preventive.

Steady la bro..

Steady la bro..

People use wax for sacrificial layer - I use a layer of dust !    [laugh]

Eh... I haven't share how I do mini foam wash.....  

Edited by Kklee

u will be surprise some claimed "pro" are worst.. One throw me a flashbang to frightened me how bad my paint surface w/o pps but later throw me a smoke grenade and run when he sense not right.. The other "pro" very knowledgeable but workers swiping the rotary machine from end to end on a bonnet.. 

the maintenance from ourselves as owner is to wash it and that's all..

If there is dirt that is to hard to remove, do you recommend a cleaner wax to remove or just add more soap to the sponge?

If there is dirt that is to hard to remove, do you recommend a cleaner wax to remove or just add more soap to the sponge?

Cleaner wax.. adding more shampoo just adding on more lubricant

I have a question here. If there is a slight scratch, is it possible to polish it off using rubbing compound and not affecting the PPS coating?

Depending how abrasive the compound...try on some painted first.. if you light rub and surface immediately turn marring..that is abrasive..

Can you feel the scratch gap with your finger? If yes that chance is slim with hand polish

Depending how abrasive the compound...try on some painted first.. if you light rub and surface immediately turn marring..that is abrasive..

Can you feel the scratch gap with your finger? If yes that chance is slim with hand polish

No I cannot feel the scratch gap with my fingers and they are very fine, but worry that if I polish too hard, the PPS coating will come off. 

I’ve been wondering about this issue too. Wonder if it’s the business tactic to lead us to spend more or if the PPS really require topping up of the coating.

If claim to be good a ceramic pro coating should last up to 3 years i believe?

• Praise 1

I’ve been wondering about this issue too. Wonder if it’s the business tactic to lead us to spend more or if the PPS really require topping up of the coating.

Same here, I was looking into it and some products claim to last up to 5 years?

• Praise 1

Same here, I was looking into it and some products claim to last up to 5 years?

I did one with Black Nano less than one year back. They claim warranty up to 3 years. Recently there are some scratches on my boot. I went back and they did a touch up for me but not happy. Now I see a lot of acid rain stain on my car, recently when to repair my windscreen due to a stone chip. The guy commented my coating gone, called Black Nano to claim warranty. Sounded so unwillingly to see me. Asked to go down for them to assess but will not do the job on the spot. Will have to come back another day to do touch up. Sounded like I owed them, seriously I think all this PPS is a trick to make you go back and spend and spend. 

But the effect it had went applied was good too. Washing easy. Bird shit can be removed easily too and etc... probably the best option will have been to go for the basic coat (least number of layers). Then visit them every 1-2 for a one layer maintance coat. More cost effective this way and covers a longer period too.

I can tell you that all businesses exist to make as much $$$ as possible.

Sometimes doing it annually is cheaper than those 1k to 2k+ package that promise 3 to 5 years. Guess those only happen when you parked your car under shelter and not drive.

• Praise 1

I did one with Black Nano less than one year back. They claim warranty up to 3 years. Recently there are some scratches on my boot. I went back and they did a touch up for me but not happy. Now I see a lot of acid rain stain on my car, recently when to repair my windscreen due to a stone chip. The guy commented my coating gone, called Black Nano to claim warranty. Sounded so unwillingly to see me. Asked to go down for them to assess but will not do the job on the spot. Will have to come back another day to do touch up. Sounded like I owed them, seriously I think all this PPS is a trick to make you go back and spend and spend.

Black Nano has contacted me in regards to my post. I will clarify their displeasure here. They wanted me to answer to them what I meant by 'sounded like I owned them'. In my request to them when I wanted to claim their 3 years warranty on the coating done, which was done less than a year ago, they said I can only go down for them to perform assessment and no job will be done on that day. I replied but if a job is needed to be performed I have to come down another day? So I requested for a date where if after assessment a job needed to be perform it will be done on the spot. But they insist they have to plan for a job after they assess and have to come down another day.

Personally to me, this sounded like I owe them. As a customer, why make me make a second trip? If your schedule is packed with new customers, I did ask for a date where your schedule allows you to spend time for your existing customers. I did not insist on a date, it can be 1 or 2 months down the road. It is just coating, i can still drive the car. I did not demand for a date. I am not too sure how long you need to plan. I can wait. So now you know why I made that comment and hope you are satisfied.

Now to black nano, can I have a date for me to go down for you to assess my claim for warranty and if a job is needed that it can be perform on the spot please Boss?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2