What to Do in an Active Shooter Situation

BabyBlade

Turbocharged

honestly, depending on the types of weapon, hiding behind table is not going to help, even car door. too much TV friction shows. 

the attacker is also hoping that everyone panic and run, so you need to wait for him to empty his weapon to ensure safety. 

nobody wants it but if you are there facing that firing, grap something and hit him. if everyone attack, he has less chance. I don't think by lying down or hiding behind that door, he will let you go if his intend is to kill. of course don't be hero and cheong if you are not within striking distance. 

i remember many many moons ago when i was in BMT. Instructors wanted to show us the deadly force of an M16. At 100m, it penetrated cement blocks (single piece like in a wall, not sure if a structural pillar can tahan or not) and oil drums. Only sand bags can retard the 5.56mm trajectory. so if the attacker has a 5.56mm, then good luck liao.

not sure about the deadly force of normal pistols.

In USA, wear bullet proof vest when go out.

USA is known as the land of freedom. But in actuality it is not free at all, not free from shooting, racism, discrimination and being sued anyhow. Singapore is so much better.

When I was in USA, once I was paying for gas using hundred dollar note, the cashier called the police and they came and checked on my currencies, passport and asked me where is Singapore.

and wear helmet too

First thing : prone on the ground.

Do leopard crawl.

SAF teach you.

no lah.

lie down and pretend to be dead. hopefully the shooter doesnt want to waste bullets shooting at a dead person.

i remember many many moons ago when i was in BMT. Instructors wanted to show us the deadly force of an M16. At 100m, it penetrated cement blocks (single piece like in a wall, not sure if a structural pillar can tahan or not) and oil drums. Only sand bags can retard the 5.56mm trajectory. so if the attacker has a 5.56mm, then good luck liao.

not sure about the deadly force of normal pistols.

yes those days they demonstrate how powerful are the AR15 by shooting through these items. I remember sand bags also need 2 layers. If you got solid tree trunk that can cover you body width then it will work.

So running and hiding may not be the best form.

I think it depends on the situation, whether to lie down or run.

If you stand up and run, you present a large profile, a large target for the shooter.

If you prone on the ground, you're a much smaller target, much harder to hit.

If the shooter is spraying bullets everywhere from chest level, you're safer to lie on the ground.

• Praise 1

If you stand up and run, you present a large profile, a large target for the shooter.

If the shooter is spraying bullets everywhere from chest level, you're safer to lie on the ground.

Shooter spray from building, lie down is mati.
  • Praise 1

I personally think we should start to be more alert to the surroundings, instead of have your eyes glued to the phone. Many times I saw pedestrian standing very close to the kerb at junction, not paying attention at all to moving traffic around them, which give them little time to react to runaway vehicle.

The same applies for terrorist attack, if you open up your eye when walking around, you might be able to pick up signs of danger seconds before others did, and thus you have more time to react to situation. And as pointed out in the article, know the nearest exits, even if it is within your familiar neighborhood. Probably due to my nature of work, I never fail to check out the nearest exits whenever I am at unfamiliar places, just in case.

As to hiding, most people would be heading for pillars, walls, and other solid objects, but imo, the most important of all is to get out of the line of sight with the attacker(s), so any place will do (for immediate response), even behind potted plant, screen, cabinet, etc. While you are hiding, start searching for the next nearest hideout (which ideally to be closer to the exit), and so on.

Last, calling for help. Remember to keep as calm as possible, and provide KISS (Keep It Short & Sharp) detail. Just

- Place (building, level, unit, etc.)

- Number of attacker

- Armed or not (and type of weapons)

Personally, I would keep the phone in my hand so that I can respond to  or make call ASAP. And in the worst case scenario, I can even haul it at the attacker to gain milliseconds of escape time. For those that want to take photos of situation or attacker(s) to aid police investigation, remember to keep the flash off (I normally keep my cam setting with forced flash off, again, just in case).

Edited by Carbon82
  • Praise 11

Wow, very useful sharing.

We can only hope that SG's strict gun control will continue to do its job. 

If there is really going to be real shooting situation, it is going to be very very tough.

If there are self-sacrificing heroes, then very likely no shooter can escape. But it's true that humans - esp SGreans - are kiasi, so that is remote. 

And if the shooter is calm and trained, and have lots of ammo, then I'm afraid that chances of survival (or rather, zero percent casualty) is not high at all.

Plus our local police (just think of the airport Aussie, and the head bleed situations)... sigh... better not go there.

• Praise 1

Internal Moderator

Wow, very useful sharing.

We can only hope that SG's strict gun control will continue to do its job. 

If there is really going to be real shooting situation, it is going to be very very tough.

If there are self-sacrificing heroes, then very likely no shooter can escape. But it's true that humans - esp SGreans - are kiasi, so that is remote. 

And if the shooter is calm and trained, and have lots of ammo, then I'm afraid that chances of survival (or rather, zero percent casualty) is not high at all.

Plus our local police (just think of the airport Aussie, and the head bleed situations)... sigh... better not go there.

Because in uncertain times like these, it is no longer about whether it will happen in Singapore or not... But rather, when... And when it happens (I PRAY NOT), I hope we are mentally prepared enough to do what is necessary to stay alive and at least have a fighting chance.

Hell I don't even know if I will be able to force myself to run for my life if it ever happens. Will I be too scared to run for my life?

Because in uncertain times like these, it is no longer about whether it will happen in Singapore or not... But rather, when... And when it happens (I PRAY NOT), I hope we are mentally prepared enough to do what is necessary to stay alive and at least have a fighting chance.

Hell I don't even know if I will be able to force myself to run for my life if it ever happens. Will I be too scared to run for my life?

With the way things are going, I also fear it's a matter of when - not if - an incident will take place here. Singaporeans have been living a sheltered life, so i fear is not prepared for any such thing... 

We can only hope that the social vigilance can mitigate for any eventuality. If the society is sensible and civic-minded, then hopefully any nutcase will be detected early and remedy can be activated before some massive disaster happens. If the family or friends of any aspiring terrorist sympathises with and harbour them, then it gets a lot more difficult to ID them. 

Lastly is our law enforcement officers have better buck up lah...

You just made me hesitate to wear slippers when i go out... Must always wear track shoes meh  [shocked] ?

In Singapore, it's very hard to run. Many places are damn crowded. You will die in a messy stampede instead.

Why you all never heed what the gahment says?

Must lodge incident on SG secure app first...

Before pressing the send button, BANG. 

↡ Advertisement