Intermittent Fasting (the IF warrior)

Tianmo

Hmmmm the ang mo in my office have lunches together leh. Usually same department go together. Sometimes my ang mo manager join me at the hawker centre too.

As for North Asia, i was in Japan for working stint, twice, two weeks each time at different shipyards. I lunch everyday with my ang mo colleagues at the canteen. And i see the Japanese also do the same thing, lunching with their colleagues.

But as with shipyard lifestyle, dead bodies everywhere during lunch time. I cannot spot any difference except for language. All faster eat and find a spot and koon till the siren sounds. I dont have such habit for a long time so just walked around.

↡ Advertisement

My PF is on the mend but did not want to risk it as I am preparing for a hiking trip, so gotta skip the recent one.  Yes, I am on the lookout for the next MU, the thought of someone running barefoot alongside sounds wonderful.  As for OMAD, gut feel is will do it within my lifetime.  Have to read up first.  [laugh]

cheers

OK, I will keep you in the loop for our next running MU!  [thumbsup]  [thumbsup]  [thumbsup]

Haha .. your sandwich is bigger than mine. [laugh]

mine is wholegrain with roasted chicken breast and avocado, why is yours white bread ham and cheese?  [:p]  [:p]  [:p]

Eating is a social thing anywhere, but co-workers lunching together is a little more Asian, or maybe South Asian. Even if busy with work, or hawker centre got no tables, still must wait together and lunch together.  [shakehead] I've only ever had SG HR come ask me why some staff don't like to lunch together, and I ask HR "no need to work meh?" [laugh]

You don't always find this in North Asia if you've worked there before, certainly not US or European culture. If need to social at work, book a time, once a week or once a month or so, not just any and everyday.

My Beijing colleagues always lunch together.

I am the only lone ranger.  I like to eat at odd hours when crowd is thin.

A lot of angmo in Singapore have now assimilated to the local culture, but not all. Lunching together is not so much a must-have, most people I know in Europe and US, not in Singapore, rather finish and leave work early than to lunch for 1-2 hours. In Japan, if you're on a working stint, it will be basic courtesy to lunch together with you. And perhaps it also depend on industry. I imagine at shipyard, there are limited options for lunch ? Just guessing. 

In the city, people go for their own lunch appointments, medical appointments, go about their own business and lunch together a couple of times a week, not everyday. If they plan to go to a busy restaurant to wait for seats, they usually plan head and leave early, or go later to avoid the crowd. 

MCF people post pictures on makan thread  [:p]

• Praise 1

A lot of angmo in Singapore have now assimilated to the local culture, but not all. Lunching together is not so much a must-have, most people I know in Europe and US, not in Singapore, rather finish and leave work early than to lunch for 1-2 hours. In Japan, if you're on a working stint, it will be basic courtesy to lunch together with you. And perhaps it also depend on industry. I imagine at shipyard, there are limited options for lunch ? Just guessing.

In the city, people go for their own lunch appointments, medical appointments, go about their own business and lunch together a couple of times a week, not everyday. If they plan to go to a busy restaurant to wait for seats, they usually plan head and leave early, or go later to avoid the crowd.

For Japan, no leh. The blue collar workers, most bring their own bento set. Seat together and makan and then koon. The white collar workers would eat together and then chit chat or seat in front of the tv in the canteen.

I dont eat with any Japanese colleague. I only eat with my ang mo colleagues at the canteen. Most of the Japanese would look at us, an asian with ang mo eating.

On another note, my Japanese colleague just resigned and will be going over to Norway to stay for a couple of months. She sent her goodbye email. Hope she finds her AMDK there.

MCF people post pictures on makan thread  [:p]

talking abt taking makan pictures, sometimes I think ppl forget totally how bad it may appear.  [laugh]

On tues night, I attended a special award dinner. It was for my younger daughter in her school, and we were seated with another family at one of the VIP tables. When the first dish was served,  a few of us politely invited the rest to start, and as the chopsticks were moving in, suddenly the mother of the other family took out her phone and started taking pictures. The situation was quite awkward but funny.  [laugh]

I think since we were all strangers, she could have at least ask for us to let her take a picture first.  :huh:  

• Praise 1

Lunch 2 hours for the perfect photo ? [laugh] Here, a lot of people also lunch for 1 hour, then go for coffee break. 

When I used to eat lunch, I always lunch alone. OK sometime lunch with chio bu.  [:p]

KNN, whole day see colleague still not enough meh? To me is waste time lah.  [:p]  [laugh]  [laugh]

Like I said, I never got canteen, I worked in the city and always lunch out .. ランチ定食. At night, go drink at イザカヤ or 焼とりバール. 

This was the canteen, the stalls and the seating area. When I took the photo, it was a friday, so not so crowded.

post-2654-0-22393100-1530258084_thumb.jpg

post-2654-0-88316200-1530258094_thumb.jpg

• Praise 1

Hypersonic

talking abt taking makan pictures, sometimes I think ppl forget totally how bad it may appear.  [laugh]

On tues night, I attended a special award dinner. It was for my younger daughter in her school, and we were seated with another family at one of the VIP tables. When the first dish was served,  a few of us politely invited the rest to start, and as the chopsticks were moving in, suddenly the mother of the other family took out her phone and started taking pictures. The situation was quite awkward but funny.  [laugh]

I think since we were all strangers, she could have at least ask for us to let her take a picture first.  :huh:  

Actually very common during group makan nowadays, someone will take taking photo before they eat. Even CNY reunion dinner, my older sis and nephew will take picture too. Got to accept this as the new norm.. Just a delay of 10 second before we can eat. 

Ya lor.

Once a week social a bit ok lah, no need the whole jing gang wait for everyone to fall-in then eat together. It's a huge waste of time. Imagine 30 mins wait for everyone to fall-in, 30 mins wait for a table that can fit everyone, 30 mins to wait for everyone to order their food, then 30 mins to eat. 1.5 hour to wait, 30 mins to eat, not counting time to walk. 2 hours every day, 5 days 10 hours. Make better use of time, not for work but for ownself also good, do some pull-ups before lunch, save another 1-hour finish work early, go back spend more time with family.

mayb this is the culture liao.. [laugh]  [laugh]  [laugh]

Actually very common during group makan nowadays, someone will take taking photo before they eat. Even CNY reunion dinner, my older sis and nephew will take picture too. Got to accept this as the new norm.. Just a delay of 10 second before we can eat. 

yah this one I of course can totally understand lah, even our own family makan also my girls take pictures and post in IG. 

But then, it is a so call award presentation, we are all seated with strangers, it would be basic courtesy to at least ask if she can take a picture first mah. And if you want to take picture, get the bloody phone ready, and not wait until chopsticks  are picking up food then start looking for the phone to take pictures. Otherwise wait for the chopsticks to leave the main plate lah. Or better still skip the dish and wait for the next one, after all its a 8 course dinner mah.

You were not there to see the reaction on the face of those who got food in between the chopsticks, is like dont know want to put the food back or take the food away. Luckily my chopsticks were just reaching out, so I just put them down, but also felt like knn limbey sibei thaim jiak like that.  [laugh]  [laugh]  [laugh]

Do pull-ups before lunch? [laugh]

this one is army culture lah.  [laugh]

I was referring to the grp lunch thingy.  [laugh]

Turbocharged

Do pull-ups before lunch? [laugh]

did that when i was 19 and 20 years old. not just lunch. breakfast and dinner too. :TT_TT:

• Praise 1

Supersonic

yah this one I of course can totally understand lah, even our own family makan also my girls take pictures and post in IG.

But then, it is a so call award presentation, we are all seated with strangers, it would be basic courtesy to at least ask if she can take a picture first mah. And if you want to take picture, get the bloody phone ready, and not wait until chopsticks are picking up food then start looking for the phone to take pictures. Otherwise wait for the chopsticks to leave the main plate lah. Or better still skip the dish and wait for the next one, after all its a 8 course dinner mah.

You were not there to see the reaction on the face of those who got food in between the chopsticks, is like dont know want to put the food back or take the food away. Luckily my chopsticks were just reaching out, so I just put them down, but also felt like knn limbey sibei thaim jiak like that. [laugh][laugh][laugh]

if its me, i dont care just whack liao haha...

your girl win award ah? congrats!

• Praise 1

did that when i was 19 and 20 years old. not just lunch. breakfast and dinner too. :TT_TT:

and sometimes night snack also!!! [:p]  [laugh]  [laugh]

if its me, i dont care just whack liao haha...

your girl win award ah? congrats!

but all stranger mah, must at least pretend to be polite lah.  [:p]

Thanks bro. I also didnt bother what award, I just went there listen to DPM Tharman talk, take picture with him and eat!!! 

↡ Advertisement