New cars with OMV under $20,000 and equipped with handbrake

Threeleggedman

No problem, 举æä¹å³èå·²ãI guess that by showing your the seat and dash layout, it will give you a better idea what to expect and even eliminated some before you head for the showroom.

BTW, thinking aloud, you may like to check with Borneo Motor if they can assist to extend the foot brake for Wish to the dash, nothing rocket science actually. The same cannot be done however for push button type of parking brake, as it will require stepping on the brake when you press the switch to release the parking brake (safety feature).

In term of functionality and practicality, Wish will be a better one among the few others I have shortlisted for you. As to why I choice Sylphy over Altis, it is mainly about space vs price, since both are equally reliable (my friend drove a Sylphy for coming to 1.5 years and has been telling me it is more fuel frugal the the previous gen Altis). Do PM or whatsApp me if you need more assistance. Happy shopping.

Electronic parking brake required depressing the brake pedal by foot when releasing the parking brake, which unfortunately, is difficult for TS.

I do agree on the electronic seat adjustment part.

Actually I am looking to do as minimal modifications to the car as possible. Helps with getting approval. The Sylphy’s dash is too high for me though.

The more i think about it, the fewer choices you have. As it is, i think only Altis and Sylphy and maybe Mazda 3 meets the various different criteria.

But just wondering: if you use your right hand to accelerate/brake, would it not be too much to have to use right hand to signal also?

Is it possible to use the left hand, which is presumably holding the steering wheel, to signal instead?

Am asking this because when i'm driving the Wish, i'm quite lazy and will rest my left leg on the footrest, and rest my left hand on the armrest. Right leg will brake/accelerate, and my right elbow will be resting on the door, and the right hand holding the steering wheel, at the position where it's right above the signal stalk. If need to signal/flash, i will use my _third_ finger to move the stalk, while my thumb and second fingers are still holding the steering wheel.

My wife used to scold me for being lazy and using one hand only, but got used to it over the years.

If you can get used to the signal stalk on the left side, I think there will be many other choices of cars to choose from. Hyundai Elantra and Kia K3 comes to mind immediately.

I use my left hand for gripping the steering knob so it’s quite challenging to be doing signaling too. On the right, I can use momentum to move the car while signaling in a split second. Brakes are applied almost instantaneously if needed. I prioritize steering control over speed so it’s a trade off. It’s always easier to steer away from danger rather than slam the brakes in danger whenever possible

Agree that forester might be a good option as well. Its parking brake is hand-operated and also comes with electronic seat adjustment and memory settings. However, if memory serves me right, the signal stalk is on the left (i.e. continental style).

That’s good. The electronic seat adjustment was something I would value. Let me check it out

I use my left hand for gripping the steering knob so it’s quite challenging to be doing signaling too. On the right, I can use momentum to move the car while signaling in a split second. Brakes are applied almost instantaneously if needed. I prioritize steering control over speed so it’s a trade off. It’s always easier to steer away from danger rather than slam the brakes in danger whenever possible

That’s good. The electronic seat adjustment was something I would value. Let me check it out

oh yes, if you use the steering knob instead of the steering wheel itself, then it's not so straightforward.

Still trying:

you come across as a person with strong determination.  [thumbsup]

I am sure that in Europe/US, there are also drivers who have similar constraints as you, and will need a modified car too. have you ever checked out how they manage, with mostly 'signal-on-the left' cars to choose from?

Elantra and K3 have electric seats. 

For Forester, i suspect it will be too high for you. My mother, for e.g., finds it difficult to get on board a SUV (or MPV that is larger and taller). Feel free to take a look for yourself though,..

I use my left hand for gripping the steering knob so itâs quite challenging to be doing signaling too. On the right, I can use momentum to move the car while signaling in a split second. Brakes are applied almost instantaneously if needed. I prioritize steering control over speed so itâs a trade off. Itâs always easier to steer away from danger rather than slam the brakes in danger whenever possible

Thatâs good. The electronic seat adjustment was something I would value. Let me check it out

I saw pictures of the forester online. Definitely I can’t climb it. My current lancer is much much lower with coilovers for easy entry and exit

oh yes, if you use the steering knob instead of the steering wheel itself, then it's not so straightforward.

Still trying:

you come across as a person with strong determination. [thumbsup]

I am sure that in Europe/US, there are also drivers who have similar constraints as you, and will need a modified car too. have you ever checked out how they manage, with mostly 'signal-on-the left' cars to choose from?

For Forester, i suspect it will be too high for you. My mother, for e.g., finds it difficult to get on board a SUV (or MPV that is larger and taller). Feel free to take a look for yourself though,..

I shall try. I guess it’s a matter of reconditioning. I am not sure how people in the West areas cope but they do have better support systems in place. But yes, determination is the main driver for success when the odds are stacked against me

Neutral Newbie

Ok. I shall visit Borneo to see what they say

Thanks to all who have given your inputs. I have shortlisted Mazda 3, Toyota Altis/Wish (depending on OMV) and the Nissan Sylphy. I shall visit the showrooms to find out more. 

Toyota Altis is pretty good in terms of reliability, but one thing you might want to note is the dashboard, it is a little higher than usual, so I'm not sure if that would affect your view like how you have it in your lancer. It does have electric adjustable seats but no memory. 

Another car you could shortlist is perhaps Honda City. OMV is <$20k / Signal Lever on the left / Traditional Handbrake

678300_7b.jpg

Edited by Victorwt

I shall try. I guess it’s a matter of reconditioning. I am not sure how people in the West areas cope but they do have better support systems in place. But yes, determination is the main driver for success when the odds are stacked against me

Good on you!

No pressure though, choose what is more comfortable for you.

As it is, the Altis and Mazda 3 would be most suitable, with right-signal and electric seats.

If neither of these are attractive, then Sylphy doesn't have electric seats.

If none of these works, the barrier will then be left-signal.

If you can take left signal, can maybe check out the impreza, as it has electric seats and also electronic parking brake which is only a button/lever - should be very useful for you. Impreza seems to be the only small sedan with this feature. The rest like K3, Elantra, VW Golf, etc., only have electric seats but no electronic parking brake.

Toyota Altis is pretty good in terms of reliability, but one thing you might want to note is the dashboard, it is a little higher than usual, so I'm not sure if that would affect your view like how you have it in your lancer. It does have electric adjustable seats but no memory. 

Another car you could shortlist is perhaps Honda City. OMV is <$20k / Signal Lever on the left / Traditional Handbrake

678300_7b.jpg

Manual seat adjustment is no-go for TS.. 

• Praise 3

Good on you!

No pressure though, choose what is more comfortable for you.

As it is, the Altis and Mazda 3 would be most suitable, with right-signal and electric seats.

If neither of these are attractive, then Sylphy doesn't have electric seats.

If none of these works, the barrier will then be left-signal.

If you can take left signal, can maybe check out the impreza, as it has electric seats and also electronic parking brake which is only a button/lever - should be very useful for you. Impreza seems to be the only small sedan with this feature. The rest like K3, Elantra, VW Golf, etc., only have electric seats but no electronic parking brake.

Yes, my mental shortlist includes Mazda 3, Altis and the Sylphy. I can manually pull the parking brake as long as it doesn’t require my foot to operate. As long as I can get in the car and have a clear view of the front of the car, it should be fine. The Sylphy’s dashboard is high so that will be last on the list.

Still trying:

you come across as a person with strong determination.  [thumbsup]

Europe/US are LHD, so I presume everything will be opposite side. Steering knob and all that.

You may want to see if pi can import the car for u with less than 20k omv so that u can have more choices to suite your criteria

Europe/US are LHD, so I presume everything will be opposite side. Steering knob and all that.

hee hee... all except UK right? i vaguely remember UK to be RHD... 

wonder how it works...

good chance turns out to be messy, like HK and shenzhen, some LHD, some RHD... sure blur...

Yes, my mental shortlist includes Mazda 3, Altis and the Sylphy. I can manually pull the parking brake as long as it doesn’t require my foot to operate. As long as I can get in the car and have a clear view of the front of the car, it should be fine. The Sylphy’s dashboard is high so that will be last on the list.

Altis looks like best bet then. With electric seats, you can also raise the height of the seat so that you can get a better view of the road. Sylphy will require manual adjustments which is more siong if you have to do it often. Mazda 3 has electric seat too, but is less spacious so loses out to Altis...

All the best...

hee hee... all except UK right? i vaguely remember UK to be RHD... 

wonder how it works...

good chance turns out to be messy, like HK and shenzhen, some LHD, some RHD... sure blur...

After a while I'm sure they get used to it la. There are many countries with conflicting LHD/RHD but share borders too. Thailand/Vietnam another one.

Yes, my mental shortlist includes Mazda 3, Altis and the Sylphy. I can manually pull the parking brake as long as it doesnât require my foot to operate. As long as I can get in the car and have a clear view of the front of the car, it should be fine. The Sylphyâs dashboard is high so that will be last on the list.

Mazda 3 is designed such a way that u better test drive it. I had difficulty visualising the front view due to the design of the dashboard and the front bumper.

My apologies for not giving more details. I have difficulty bending my legs and I use an elbow crutch. I was looking at Mazda 3, Kia K3 and the EX. I would like to know if there are other models fitting the criteria I have listed. In terms of reliability, which model is better.

Note: I left out Honda Civic and Toyota Altis because OMV is more than $20,000 according to one.motoring

Mazda 3 is quite difficult to get in too right?

After a while I'm sure they get used to it la. There are many countries with conflicting LHD/RHD but share borders too. Thailand/Vietnam another one.

Some years back i was in Shenzhen, and someone fetched us around, and during the conversation, we heard that he drives to HK once in a while and he said it's different because it's LHD in China but RHD in HK, and sometimes he would forget...

It was the first time i heard it and i was telling myself sure jialat, if you're slow, you keep right in China but suddenly cross over to HK, will become a road hog if you forgot to switch...  [sweatdrop]

And then got the question of right side or left side got right of way? Again  [sweatdrop]

↡ Advertisement