New cars with OMV under $20,000 and equipped with handbrake

Threeleggedman

be warned that their service center isn't the easiest to "navigate". also do not expect excellent service. this from a mazda owner for the last 6 years

I had bad experiences with Mitsubishi's service centre as well. If I am getting the car, I will likely stay for a couple of years for warranty and service the car elsewhere thereafter. I know mechanics who understand my needs so it's just staying with AD for awhile to ensure no major issues crop up when the car is new. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Turbocharged

The issue is SEs who didn't want to serve me were brands with no customers at their showrooms. Mazda which was packed had the best service. It's not rocket science to figure out why - good service plus good pricing means customers

I'm glad you had good experience with Mazda Sales. Unfortunately for me, my experience with Mazda has not been fruitful. Not once not twice but three times I was disappointed by what mazda has to offer. I guessed my time with Mazda is not here yet.

1st Encounter in 2005, I was shopping my first car and shortlisted the Mazda 2 SP. It was my 1st choice and the SE had told me she can offer this price. I told her I'll reconsider. After I decided somehow I was not able to contact her and some another SE served me instead. First, this SE is not very friendly was impatient when serving us, second he offered a higher price instead and when I tried to negotiate citing the previous SE, he gave some excuse like promo price over and refuse to barge.. In the end, I left the showroom and drove straight to Suzuki and signed up for the Swift!

2nd Encounter in 2015, this time Mazda already changed dealership. I was interested in the Mazda 3 2.0 and test drove the car. The SE was very pushy. First, he quote my trade-in to be lower and other dealers which I already not happy. Second, he keep smsing me with headselling tactics to "threaten" me to make up my mind "or else the promo price will be different" that same old trick. In the end I decided to keep looking and end up with my current Forester.

3rd Encounter is this earlier year, you know that usual advertisement in the papers of the Mazda 2 sedan going at this competitve price, but there is a asterisk meaning there are terms and conditions. I call up and was told to "come down and have a look!" In the end, true enough, the adverstised price are the demo units and so on. Since my dad was quite fond of the car after testdrive we negotiated. In turns out the deals was not really a deal cos the "demo" cars are not subjected to other discounts and promos from loans, and insurance. In the end the demo car may ending out more exp unless you can pay full cash (which is not allowed due to some minimum loan BS) I think I actually snapped that time and told the SE the story of my last 2 encounters. I think I said along the lines like the dealer should wake up it's ideas and stop denying genunie customers from buying their own Mazda cars....lol. In the end, got my Dad a Hyundai Elantra instead.

Maybe the 4th time is a charm..I dunno....

I'm not too sure of the "good pricing" you were offered, I suggest you look at more dealers and other cars first.
Good service? it's a 33/66 hit for me.
Good pricing? eehhhhh.......
Edited by Pocus
  • Praise 1

I'm glad you had good experience with Mazda Sales. Unfortunately for me, my experience with Mazda has not been fruitful. Not once not twice but three times I was disappointed by what mazda has to offer. I guessed my time with Mazda is not here yet.

1st Encounter in 2005, I was shopping my first car and shortlisted the Mazda 2 SP. It was my 1st choice and the SE had told me she can offer this price. I told her I'll reconsider. After I decided somehow I was not able to contact her and some another SE served me instead. First, this SE is not very friendly was impatient when serving us, second he offered a higher price instead and when I tried to negotiate citing the previous SE, he gave some excuse like promo price over and refuse to barge.. In the end, I left the showroom and drove straight to Suzuki and signed up for the Swift!

2nd Encounter in 2015, this time Mazda already changed dealership. I was interested in the Mazda 3 2.0 and test drove the car. The SE was very pushy. First, he quote my trade-in to be lower and other dealers which I already not happy. Second, he keep smsing me with headselling tactics to "threaten" me to make up my mind "or else the promo price will be different" that same old trick. In the end I decided to keep looking and end up with my current Forester.

3rd Encounter is this earlier year, you know that usual advertisement in the papers of the Mazda 2 sedan going at this competitve price, but there is a asterisk meaning there are terms and conditions. I call up and was told to "come down and have a look!" In the end, true enough, the adverstised price are the demo units and so on. Since my dad was quite fond of the car after testdrive we negotiated. In turns out the deals was not really a deal cos the "demo" cars are not subjected to other discounts and promos from loans, and insurance. In the end the demo car may ending out more exp unless you can pay full cash (which is not allowed due to some minimum loan BS) I think I actually snapped that time and told the SE the story of my last 2 encounters. I think I said along the lines like the dealer should wake up it's ideas and stop denying genunie customers from buying their own Mazda cars....lol. In the end, got my Dad a Hyundai Elantra instead.

Maybe the 4th time is a charm..I dunno....

I'm not too sure of the "good pricing" you were offered, I suggest you look at more dealers and other cars first.
Good service? it's a 33/66 hit for me.
Good pricing? eehhhhh.......

I think it's a chance thing when it comes to service. If you read my posting in the thread I had mixed reception from the different SEs. In terms of pricing, Mazda quoted me 33k and Honda was 50k. Toyota didn't even bother. 

It's the same when I was sourcing for a reno company to do my BTO flat, no one bothered to greet and serve me except for an exp one like Honda and a decent one like Mazda. Surprisingly in both the reno and car sourcing journey, the staff who served me were assistant managers not an entry level staff. Both were responsive and looked beyond me being a disabled person i.e. thinking that I don't hold a job, waste of time to serve me etc. The Mazda SE is still trying his best to learn what I need and how he can help me minus the fact that I am a customer.

It's my good fortune in life to meet people who go beyond when I make big purchases in life. I do hope LTA will grant the approval so it's a win-win for the SE and myself

• Praise 1

I think it's a chance thing when it comes to service. If you read my posting in the thread I had mixed reception from the different SEs. In terms of pricing, Mazda quoted me 33k and Honda was 50k. Toyota didn't even bother. 

It's the same when I was sourcing for a reno company to do my BTO flat, no one bothered to greet and serve me except for an exp one like Honda and a decent one like Mazda. Surprisingly in both the reno and car sourcing journey, the staff who served me were assistant managers not an entry level staff. Both were responsive and looked beyond me being a disabled person i.e. thinking that I don't hold a job, waste of time to serve me etc. The Mazda SE is still trying his best to learn what I need and how he can help me minus the fact that I am a customer.

It's my good fortune in life to meet people who go beyond when I make big purchases in life. I do hope LTA will grant the approval so it's a win-win for the SE and myself

Yeah, I always believe that though the good itself matters, the ultimate persuading factor for a consumer is the costumer experience. Sometimes, it is just a matter of fate on who you met and when you got to meet them, the 天时地利人和 must match. I had a good experience with a Mazda 3 SE as well but in the end I bought a Forester due to different needs. I wish you all the best from here and hopefully get your Mazda 3.

Looks like your Mazda stars are aligned, and it's meant for you to choose it.

Agree that it's a chance thing for most things in life. And while others could have negative experience with Mazda, yours was excellent.

My own experience with Mazda wasn't great too, as the chap who attended to me was new, by his own admission. I asked him how to fold up/down the 3rd row of the Biante, and he tried but failed (just like me, and I've seen quite a lot of MPVs so am not a novice), then told me it cannot be slided front/back one... and I remembered clearly I've read before that that was one of the unique feature... 

It's ok to don't know, esp. when new. But don't pull a fast one on me, pls...

So if you've had a good experience there, it looks like that's the one for you.

Good luck on the application.

you are right. The SE just got me the Altis and Wish brochure and said the OMV will exceed 20k. Out I went. How I wish the SEs were like Mazda's. Explained the features of the car, adjusted the seat for me to get in and ultimately followed me to my current car to understand my needs under the hot sun. That's service and putting customer's first 

Wish OMV is above 20k? I just got 1 a few months back and its below 20K. It seems to me they are trying very hard to keep it to below 20k for the loan requirements.. every add on is installed locally.

Wish OMV is above 20k? I just got 1 a few months back and its below 20K. It seems to me they are trying very hard to keep it to below 20k for the loan requirements.. every add on is installed locally.

That was what was communicated by the SE. Maybe he didn't want to sell me any cars. I am not sure.

Looks like your Mazda stars are aligned, and it's meant for you to choose it.

Agree that it's a chance thing for most things in life. And while others could have negative experience with Mazda, yours was excellent.

My own experience with Mazda wasn't great too, as the chap who attended to me was new, by his own admission. I asked him how to fold up/down the 3rd row of the Biante, and he tried but failed (just like me, and I've seen quite a lot of MPVs so am not a novice), then told me it cannot be slided front/back one... and I remembered clearly I've read before that that was one of the unique feature... 

It's ok to don't know, esp. when new. But don't pull a fast one on me, pls...

So if you've had a good experience there, it looks like that's the one for you.

Good luck on the application.

Yes, that I agree. The Mazda SE didn't know but he bothered to ask and took pictures etc.I am just wondering if I can ask for a discount from the quoted price. What is your view?

Yes, that I agree. The Mazda SE didn't know but he bothered to ask and took pictures etc.I am just wondering if I can ask for a discount from the quoted price. What is your view?

Normally the 'discounts' from the quoted price are pretty much fixed, at least for Subaru. Things can qualify as discounts are:

1) Signing non-guaranteed COE packages

2) Trade in your current car with their appointed used car dealer

3) Specific model discount or colour discount

4) Showroom car

There might be more but these are the common ones.

Can I ask if the new Mazda 3 or Subaru Impreza a good choice if I am look for a sedan car? The OMV is not too high but I am not sure about the servicing cost.

The Subaru car come with high-tension belt which required to change once in 3 years and the cost will be around $2K.

The SE (or did you say Asst Mgr) who served you, plays a big part in any discount.

Discounts got 2 types:

1)  Company gives

2)  Sales guy gives

For #2, i suspect it will not be easy, as this will come from the sales person's pocket, which he/she gets from:

a)  you take loan from the recommended bank, so bank gives commission to SE

b)  you take insurance from their recommended insurance agent, so again insurance company pays commission to SE

c)  you got a car (of value) to trade in, so the SE can make some money by selling to used car dealers who want the car. For some companies, this © might go to company instead of SE, esp. if the company deals in used cars too.

- Why i said this might not be easy, is because your car price is greatly reduced c.f. market rate (and by extension, the max loan amount that can be loaned), so even if you take their loan (will you?), the commission earned is not likely to be as much as a normal sale (normal price + COE, before the loan curb).

- And for your insurance, is it a normal insurance? If so, then got chance. But my experience is that i got my own insurance which was about $300 cheaper than the AD's quote, so i didn't take theirs...

- And then your current car, which I assume you'll be trading in. If it's modified, it might not fetch as high value as a normal car as they will need to spend money to 'normalise' it.

Often, SEs will give some freebies as acknowledgement, in the form of car cam, solar films, mats, etc. In my case, I didn't take loan, didn't take insurance, and didn't trade in my car. But still managed to get my SE to give me a 2-channel cam instead of the 1-channel one that the company was giving. I think it prob costs her $100-200 more. And she told me really cannot give anything else as she's not getting 'outside' comm... I've heard others buying the same car as me, getting lots more freebies. But have to be fair, so i can't complain too much as i didn't take loan/insurance.

On #1, you can ask your SE to seek approval from his Mgmt to give some discount. Tell him you're impressed with his service and like to compliment him to his Mgmt, and ask him to seek approval to give some discount, which will show that the company supports the disabled community, etc. Worth a try.

Even for my case, when I asked my SE, she called her boss, and they gave me $500 discount in lieu of additional free servicing.

Of course, if they really cannot give discount, you can try asking for some free servicing instead. At least got some savings.

• Praise 2

The SE (or did you say Asst Mgr) who served you, plays a big part in any discount.

Discounts got 2 types:

1)  Company gives

2)  Sales guy gives

For #2, i suspect it will not be easy, as this will come from the sales person's pocket, which he/she gets from:

a)  you take loan from the recommended bank, so bank gives commission to SE

b)  you take insurance from their recommended insurance agent, so again insurance company pays commission to SE

c)  you got a car (of value) to trade in, so the SE can make some money by selling to used car dealers who want the car. For some companies, this © might go to company instead of SE, esp. if the company deals in used cars too.

- Why i said this might not be easy, is because your car price is greatly reduced c.f. market rate (and by extension, the max loan amount that can be loaned), so even if you take their loan (will you?), the commission earned is not likely to be as much as a normal sale (normal price + COE, before the loan curb).

- And for your insurance, is it a normal insurance? If so, then got chance. But my experience is that i got my own insurance which was about $300 cheaper than the AD's quote, so i didn't take theirs...

- And then your current car, which I assume you'll be trading in. If it's modified, it might not fetch as high value as a normal car as they will need to spend money to 'normalise' it.

Often, SEs will give some freebies as acknowledgement, in the form of car cam, solar films, mats, etc. In my case, I didn't take loan, didn't take insurance, and didn't trade in my car. But still managed to get my SE to give me a 2-channel cam instead of the 1-channel one that the company was giving. I think it prob costs her $100-200 more. And she told me really cannot give anything else as she's not getting 'outside' comm... I've heard others buying the same car as me, getting lots more freebies. But have to be fair, so i can't complain too much as i didn't take loan/insurance.

On #1, you can ask your SE to seek approval from his Mgmt to give some discount. Tell him you're impressed with his service and like to compliment him to his Mgmt, and ask him to seek approval to give some discount, which will show that the company supports the disabled community, etc. Worth a try.

Even for my case, when I asked my SE, she called her boss, and they gave me $500 discount in lieu of additional free servicing.

Of course, if they really cannot give discount, you can try asking for some free servicing instead. At least got some savings.

I am not sure about the loan part. I will take some loan, maybe 20k just to breathe a little easier as I am starting a family and I didn't take any reno loan. Not a high income earner but not low as well. My current insurer is AXA, a normal car insurance with 50% NCB and 5% COM.

My current car can't be sold. I can double check with the Mazda asst mgr. I never bargained for my first car so I wasn't sure. Thanks for the info 

I am not sure about the loan part. I will take some loan, maybe 20k just to breathe a little easier as I am starting a family and I didn't take any reno loan. Not a high income earner but not low as well. My current insurer is AXA, a normal car insurance with 50% NCB and 5% COM.

My current car can't be sold. I can double check with the Mazda asst mgr. I never bargained for my first car so I wasn't sure. Thanks for the info 

Then you should definitely ask - and try find out more - before signing. Once signed, end of story. No more bargain/asking.

As long as you take loan, sure can ask for (more) freebies. Typicals are car cam, solar films, car mats, extra servicing, leather, rims, etc. Some of these might already be given by Mazda. Ask for some on top of those that come with the package.

On the insurance, i was told typically my car would be around $1.5k, even with NCD. I was shocked.

Then my SE helped to check, and said can get ~$900-1000. 

Through someone here, got contact and the lowest quote was around $800, so I took my own. I never knew insurance premium can differ so much.

But i appreciate my SE for her help on the insurance, cos thanks to her, I found out the NCD can transfer from my wife's name to me... Never knew it was possible before that.

Oh, your current car can't be sold - it must be because of the special discounts offered to you, right? What will happen to it then? Will it be scrapped? What will you get back, if any?

Should be ok to ask for bit bit discount, i think.

And finally, good to know you're starting a family. If already 'on the way', then congrats to you in advance!  [thumbsup]

Then you should definitely ask - and try find out more - before signing. Once signed, end of story. No more bargain/asking.

As long as you take loan, sure can ask for (more) freebies. Typicals are car cam, solar films, car mats, extra servicing, leather, rims, etc. Some of these might already be given by Mazda. Ask for some on top of those that come with the package.

On the insurance, i was told typically my car would be around $1.5k, even with NCD. I was shocked.

Then my SE helped to check, and said can get ~$900-1000. 

Through someone here, got contact and the lowest quote was around $800, so I took my own. I never knew insurance premium can differ so much.

But i appreciate my SE for her help on the insurance, cos thanks to her, I found out the NCD can transfer from my wife's name to me... Never knew it was possible before that.

Oh, your current car can't be sold - it must be because of the special discounts offered to you, right? What will happen to it then? Will it be scrapped? What will you get back, if any?

Should be ok to ask for bit bit discount, i think.

And finally, good to know you're starting a family. If already 'on the way', then congrats to you in advance!  [thumbsup]

Ok noted. My current insurance premium is $600+ after 10 years of clean record. Because of the scheme, it can't be sold only scrapped. I think I will only get back the scrap value, no paper value. It will be the same for the Mazda 3 if LTA allows me to scrap and buy a Mazda. Unless someone wants to pay for COE and reg fee to buy my car. I am looking to bargain to 33k from 33.8k, not much.

Still trying for baby. Mum wants a grandchild like any parent would. Thanks for your wishes. Appreciate it. The noble one is my wife who will be the main caregiver. I just hope to get a reliable car to not lose mobility and do whatever I can as a son, husband, father and social worker/volunteer for less privileged people. That's why my current car is dying serving as my legs for 10years and counting.

• Praise 2

Ok noted. My current insurance premium is $600+ after 10 years of clean record. Because of the scheme, it can't be sold only scrapped. I think I will only get back the scrap value, no paper value. It will be the same for the Mazda 3 if LTA allows me to scrap and buy a Mazda. Unless someone wants to pay for COE and reg fee to buy my car. I am looking to bargain to 33k from 33.8k, not much.

Still trying for baby. Mum wants a grandchild like any parent would. Thanks for your wishes. Appreciate it. The noble one is my wife who will be the main caregiver. I just hope to get a reliable car to not lose mobility and do whatever I can as a son, husband, father and social worker/volunteer for less privileged people. That's why my current car is dying serving as my legs for 10years and counting.

You should ask Mazda to help get you a quote from their insurance-tie-up. Then compare with those that you source on your own. If not much difference, then go with them. Gives you more ammunition to ask for more discounts.

Try to work out what's the mark-up that Mazda will be getting from your deal. If it's significant, again can ask for more discount. With the estimated OMV, it should be possible to work out the margin.

Yes, all grandparents long for grandkid(s). They bring happiness to everyone, not only when they are born or are toddlers, but are also useful when they are growing up and schooling. My parents will bicker a fair bit (actually it's just one-way  [laugh] ), and my wife and I have trained the kids to be firefighters when the situation calls for it. The grandparents will sure simmer down and listen to the grandkids...

All the best to you and your noble (can't think of a more apt adjective) wife in TTC. Don't let that stress you out though, but just enjoy the process. A friend of mine confided that it got to him quite a bit when he was doing that. Tried for about 2 yr to the point that in his words, it became a chore  [bigcry] . Was on the verge of giving up, when they finally succeeded. Was really happy for them.

• Praise 1

@threeleggedman: Hello there sir. How goes your appeal? Do keep us posted.

Unfortunately, it will take a few months. I've done what I can so it's now up to the evaluation committee. I am hoping for the best.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2