Self-heating mala hotpots are now banned.

DACH

ah tiong really smart to invent this.

good for those having a-tech excerise.

having ma la huo guo in the jungle.

i have to say they are very innovative and business minded, it is a big market and fortune if you hit the right spot.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

I haven't got to try this yet! If we buy it back from Malaysia, is it considered legal? Never breach any law right lol.

if never get caught and you survive after eating it, then nothing wrong.

if someone die from eating it here, then he gets the front page headline in the papers   [laugh]

• Praise 1

I think the importer act blur. Since when do you eat instant packaged food like instant noodles containing meat in Singapore? And I don't mean canned food. At least canned food is properly sealed in a tin can which is not easily compromised. Kinda irresponsible of the importer, falsely declaring. acting like dunno.

FYI any food or medicine or whatever that goes into ppl's mouth will be tested by a dept in HSA to test that it's safe for consumption before it allows them to go into the market for sale. Those importers who bypass this process and import food or supplement/medicine are highly at risk. So it's important that buying such things online it's better to avoid coz clearly a lot of which have false claims. Fraudulent importers only care about making money they do not care about your health.

That's why I hardly buy anything edible over the internet unless it's a local distributor.

• Praise 1

I haven't got to try this yet! If we buy it back from Malaysia, is it considered legal? Never breach any law right lol.

Like bak kwa from malaysia, we are not suppose to bring back. But ahem,, 

No it isn't. It's not opened yet but I believe it is a dry foods product (like instant noodles). I think instant noodles in taiwan would also have pieces of dried meat in them.

When you open it, see if it is dehydrated meat.

If not, probably that is the reason of the ban.  :mellow:

人怕出名,猪怕肥。This product has been on sales for months and no one actually get food poisoning and such in the past months (and I don't remember any reported cases in China or other places as well).

It started to get AVA attention when it is featured on Channel 5 or Channel 8 news a couple of weeks ago. The reporter demonstrated on the program how easy to have it prepared / cooked and even took a bite in front of the camera, and there after it ran out of stock online and get more people talking about it.

While I do not disagree with AVA's stand, for safe guarding the food safety in Singapore, such products (containing meat) are not uncommon here or in other countries. Why not just get the importer to submit sample for testing and have it approved (or rejected) officially, instead of imposing a total ban? The funny thing is, we as a general consumer, are allowed to bring such product into Singapore for personal consumption only... Double standard?! [confused]  [confused]

Travellers returning to Singapore can carry food products for personal consumption without first obtaining an import permit if:

- the type of food product is allowed;
- the amount is within the allowance;
- the source country is approved by AVA (see section 'Conditions for Specific Types of Food'); and
- the food products will not be sold commercially.

Edited by Carbon82
  • Praise 7

人怕出名,猪怕肥。This product has been on sales for months and no one actually get food poisoning and such in the past months (and I don't remember any reported cases in China or other places as well).

It started to get AVA attention when it is featured on Channel 5 or Channel 8 news a couple of weeks ago. The reporter demonstrated on the program how easy to have it prepared / cooked and even took a bite in front of the camera, and there after it ran out of stock online and get more people talking about it.

While I do not disagree with AVA's stand, for safe guarding the food safety in Singapore, such products (containing meat) are not uncommon here or in other countries. Why not just get the importer to submit sample for testing and have it approved (or rejected) officially, instead of imposing a total ban? The funny thing is, we as a general consumer, are allowed to bring such product into Singapore for personal consumption only... Double standard?! [confused]  [confused]

if u sell meat in singapore u need to pay some taxes

Twincharged

FYI any food or medicine or whatever that goes into ppl's mouth will be tested by a dept in HSA to test that it's safe for consumption before it allows them to go into the market for sale. Those importers who bypass this process and import food or supplement/medicine are highly at risk. So it's important that buying such things online it's better to avoid coz clearly a lot of which have false claims. Fraudulent importers only care about making money they do not care about your health.

just look at the amount of supplements and slimming pills available online ... HSA also never got the chance to test ...

I rem a couple of years ago, some teenage girls got into serious health issues over the slimming cookies ... or was it enlargement cookies ? .... ah ... some cookies lah ...

and yet the market is still booming for such products !

ya i try those hong  sao nui luo mian , also got meat inside.

i think if this hotpot is really popular, once they get the meat tested , it will be back

wah ... your hanyu-pinyin really terrible man !!

anyway, we get what you are trying to say ...

and that being said, when I was in HKG, I settled for tv meals most of the time ... cheap and good ... but dunno got impact on health or not.

• Praise 1

I'll keep it for a month or so. 

If no Malaysians die in that time period, I will eat  [thumbsup]

please post when you are about to eat....

then if after 1 month you still no post, we can help you ask admin to delete your mcf account

:mellow:  [:/]

I think the self-heating tech is nothing new. Already used by military combat rations and NASA food rations. It's the plastic food packaging that is in doubt when this stuff is placed under heat. It might not have an immediate health effect.

Another issue is the China food scare. If this hotpot thing is going to sell well expect fake products to surface with fake meat and whatever.

Edited by Watwheels

Some don't even have proper food labelling which is required by AVA. 

There's has already been a lot of plastic heating products in the market. The atas French name for it is sous-vide cooking. 

How much is the hotpot thingy? It's defintely not some French atas plastic.

Lol.. If I were u, i'll eat it.

Ban this ban that..

Bottomline, ai lui nia...

[lipsrsealed]

Where u bought in JB?

PM me the location I wanna buy some when I go jb.

I'll keep it for a month or so. 

If no Malaysians die in that time period, I will eat  [thumbsup]

Edited by Aaronlkl

Bro, nothing wrong with the food.

Explaining why enforcement action was taken against Joneve Trading, an AVA spokesman told ST that the Cargo Clearance Permit the firm applied for was for food items which do not contain meat and seafood. 

"In this case, it was a false declaration as the instant hotpot product does contain meat," he said.

When contacted on Monday, Carousell said it was working closely with AVA to actively remove listings of instant hotpots with meat from its marketplace. 

AVA is just doing their job, we should be thankful.

(edited)

AVA is just doing their job, we should be thankful.

This I have to agree.

What if they include some fake meat made of plastic? :a-noway:    [laugh]

Bro, nothing wrong with the food.

Explaining why enforcement action was taken against Joneve Trading, an AVA spokesman told ST that the Cargo Clearance Permit the firm applied for was for food items which do not contain meat and seafood. 

"In this case, it was a false declaration as the instant hotpot product does contain meat," he said.

When contacted on Monday, Carousell said it was working closely with AVA to actively remove listings of instant hotpots with meat from its marketplace. 

So it means bad advertising and mishandling of food product information?

Edited by DACH

first of all the importer selling in Carousell produce a fake certification and make consumer think that it is safe. Of course these unlicensed online seller can hide and continue to sell. Just pray nothing fatal happen.

similarly bringing in from JB without declare also not under anybody's responsibility if people die from eating that.

End of the day, eat at your own risk.

Aiyo bro...

In this case, u shouldn't leave SG at all cos the food u eat outside SG (not vetted by AVA) may also be some fake meat made of plastic?

This I have to agree.

What if they include some fake meat made of plastic? :a-noway:    [laugh]

So it means bad advertising and mishandling of food product information?

Edited by Aaronlkl
↡ Advertisement