Help with STA report remarks

Ashc

Neutral Newbie

Hi All,

I am a newbie here and intend to purchase a used car which was sent for STA evaluation. The overall grading was B, made with following remarks:

1. VEHICLE TRANSMISSION HOUSING SIGN OF STAINS

2. VEHICLE DRIVESHAFT GREASE SIGN OF STAINS

3. VEHICLE REAR BRAKE DISCS SIGN OF WORN

4. VEHICLE FRONT PANEL SIGN OF TOUCH UP

5. VEHICLE FRONT WINDSCREEN 70%

6. VEHICLE FRONT WINDOW 73%

7. VEHICLE REAR WINDSCREEN 49%

8. VEHICLE REAR WINDOW 57%

Should I be worried about the above comments? Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

↡ Advertisement

Hi All,

I am a newbie here and intend to purchase a used car which was sent for STA evaluation. The overall grading was B, made with following remarks:

Should I be worried about the above comments? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sign of stains means oil had leaked before. So do consider that..

1 & 2 sounds serious, rest i can live with it. 

Means your housing, driveshaft leaking

Front panel accident b4, rear brake discs need to change.

LTA requirement; Front at least 70% to pass through, rear windscreen & pax side is at least 25%

5. VEHICLE FRONT WINDSCREEN 70%

7. VEHICLE REAR WINDSCREEN 49% 

• Praise 2

Hi All,

http://www.mycarforum.com/topic/2691301-about-sta-report-engine-oil-and-transmission-oil/

Somebody posted a query similar to yours. have a look.

PS: I saw you posted there in the last post.. LOL

Edited by Nolicense

Neutral Newbie

Hello All,

I just had an STA evaluation done for a prospective used car I intend to purchase. I have following queries:

1. The dealer asked me to pay for the evaluation, who pays for it ( Dealer or buyer)?

2. The overall grade is B, with 3 key remarks. Who pays for getting those remarks repaired? One of the remarks was on vehicle brake rotor disc sign of worn (front). is this a serious issue? 

3.other remark was on  Vehicle air intake cleaner filter box missing?

4. last remark was on Vehicle under carriage protector cover missing?

5. I have already paid a security deposit and there was a verbal confirmation to repair if there is a major issue with remarks of STA evaluation. Who decides what major issue could be?

6. My auto loan is also approved. 

If I decide not to proceed with the deal, what could be implications?

7 hours ago, Fhh said:

Hello All,

I just had an STA evaluation done for a prospective used car I intend to purchase. I have following queries:

1. The dealer asked me to pay for the evaluation, who pays for it ( Dealer or buyer)?

2. The overall grade is B, with 3 key remarks. Who pays for getting those remarks repaired? One of the remarks was on vehicle brake rotor disc sign of worn (front). is this a serious issue? 

5. I have already paid a security deposit and there was a verbal confirmation to repair if there is a major issue with remarks of STA evaluation. Who decides what major issue could be?

Front Brake Rotor Sign of Worn,change Brake Rotors...Wear & Tear.

Usually Buyer pay for Evaluation.

Filter Box Missing.?Hmm..Car using Cold Air Intake.?

Under Carriage protector Missing,maybe dropped.?

9 hours ago, Fhh said:

Hello All,

doesnt seem like anything serious. typically a 3-5year old car gets a B grade.

point 3, means a modified intake was added. should be ok, unless you want to keep the car long term as a stock filter box with paper filter will be better for longevity.

Brakes like ER-3682 mentioned is wear and tear, can be easily replaced.

i would proceed as your deposit has been paid. and then bring to a trusted workshop to sort out the brakes.  not proceeding means you lose your deposit. what you could do is try to get the dealer to pay for the under carriage cover or get him to discount $100-200, which should cover most of the cost for replacement.

you alternative if you back out, means another car hunt. depending on what car and age, i think even with another car you will find some issues that need to be taken care of.

by the way what car and age?

• Praise 1

On 10/30/2023 at 2:56 PM, Hwangjoon said:

Hi there

Need help with my Mazda 3 2017 STA inspection.

Can anyone advice?

1979229982_STAinspection.thumb.jpg.f160b3fb920f45daae70a1a1859d1dff.jpg

That means alot of Repairs needed...

• Praise 1

Hi there

Can anyone advice?

1. Prepare 2k to 3k SGD for the repairs, provided no major problems with engine and gearbox, only oil seal leaks. The major ones are the aircon compressor $600++ and driveshaft boots (may have to replace recond driveshafts ($500++) if the dirt already got into the ball joints)

2. You can try to nego with the dealer to fix all the detected issues, or ask for a discount from the dealer and you fix them on your own.

3. What's the mileage of the car? I suppose should be at least 150k kms for these problems to surface. If what you see is much less than 150k km, then the odometer could be tampered.

• Praise 1

Hi there

Can anyone advice?

If you're buying a 2nd hand car then negotiate with your dealer to see what they're willing to fix based on the report or give some discount for you to fix yourself.

But still prepare a post-purchase budget to replace all the worn parts and drive worry-free for next few years. 5yrs or older cars typically have what your report stated.

Fix oil leakages as priority as it'll surely lead to longer term problems like corroded rubber seals, CEL warnings and even stalled car. Leaving the problem for later to save some upfront money is not worth the trouble of getting your car stuck/towed when you least expect it.

Could b a phv car...so mny issues. Also there's e capacitor to think about.... there's a thread here abt tis replacement, not cheap iirc.

might be phv car that has odometer tampered with mileage dialed back to 90k.... , normally oil leaks shouldnt appear at less than 100k mileage for Japanese cars or cars that are 6 years old only.

On 10/30/2023 at 6:15 PM, Hwangjoon said:

@Beehive3783 the mileage was 90k KM actually

My ride coming to 6 years about 140km. Home to office. 

Yours 90km for  6 years likely previous owner under utilised (so shouldn't had so many engine issues) or mileage already tampered. 

Wether seal torn, panel repaired , many other problems that are sign of lack of maintenance, abused  , overused and never service and repair. If you have not signed up, skip this car. 

↡ Advertisement