Your japanese car might not be as strong as you thought !

Ysc3

More importantly is does the car score well on crash testing.

All other things are difficult to assess.

The shell of a body if u ever seen it color coded is really a myraid of steel parts (normal, high strength, extra high strength). 

Always buy a car that is tested by IIHS or Euro NCAP. Not those only JDM or Asean models only.

Anyway if those say korean steel is very tok gong one.

If it's their own company division selling to other divisions of their own company. If really got manufacturing cheating, there is no one to uncover lor. All same company.

All big corporations are sama sama one lah.

• Praise 2

Twincharged

Test also how siao one lah... They can mfg one fleet of tanks for testing... Then after approval, they produce paper planes for sale.

Kobe Beef good, Kobe Steel not so good

Dun like Kobe or marbelled beef... Too buttery taste... Yucks.

Test also how siao one lah... They can mfg one fleet of tanks for testing... Then after approval, they produce paper planes for sale.

Dun like Kobe or marbelled beef... Too buttery taste... Yucks.

of course. but if the car is manufactured in large numbers in the Europe/USA, then u will get some sorta feedback or recall EVENTUALLY just like takata airbags (of course cold comfort to those who suffered). 

And if there's crash test results by independent body, then if there's suddenly like a spate of fuel tanks catching fire or catastrophic failure of a panel resulting in many deaths, it's much easier to isolate an issue.

Lesser chance of being affected if jap brand cars made in Thailand?

haha i hope my car isn't affected. Though i already got one recall letter for some small thing liao.

Supercharged

I have mentioned this story before ... a bmw 3 series jabbed my friend's cateye elantra in the back but only the license plate fell off. whereas the bmw front was damaged quite bad.

this actually goes to show that metal is in abundance in Korea and k-cars are damn strong compared to other makers who import their steel.

....and naturally k-cars are heavier too.

Very true! Saw a Merc rear-end a Matrix once. Matrix like boh tai chi!

• Praise 2

yah, matrix look like a paper weight as well...  :grin:

haha i hope my car isn't affected. Though i already got one recall letter for some small thing liao.

now u better drive with more care...  :ninja:

• Praise 1

Supercharged

prease, no more anecdotal, this car hit that car, this car damage less/more than that car.

front hit back is NOT comparable at all, unless u swap positions (front car now be back car, back car be front car) and hit one more time under the same conditions (speed/braking force/etc) than compare again.

apples to apples, pple!

• Praise 3

For normal car, backend is more strong than front. Front is built with crumple zone to be crushed upon impact. So not fair to compare which car is strong based on extent of damage, order is important.

prease, no more anecdotal, this car hit that car, this car damage less/more than that car.

front hit back is NOT comparable at all, unless u swap positions (front car now be back car, back car be front car) and hit one more time under the same conditions (speed/braking force/etc) than compare again.

apples to apples, pple!

I posted before reading your comment. Spot on.

• Praise 2

The shell of a body if u ever seen it color coded is really a myraid of steel parts (normal, high strength, extra high strength). 

Always buy a car that is tested by IIHS or Euro NCAP. Not those only JDM or Asean models only.

If it's their own company division selling to other divisions of their own company. If really got manufacturing cheating, there is no one to uncover lor. All same company.

Problem is that the test is only for one car. If the non-spec steel is used in a different batch, it won't show as well.

Kobe Steel scandal hits Boeing, Toyota and Nissan

...... Other companies affected by the Kobe Steel scandal include Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, Kawasaki Heavy Industries, IHI, Honda, Mazda and Subaru. Kobe Steel said it had no evidence of any safety concerns as a result of the fraudulent certification.

GOOGLE OR SEARCH FOR "KOBE STEEL SCANDAL"

Hmmm, good thing our SMRT is using China steel eh?  :D

Problem is that the test is only for one car. If the non-spec steel is used in a different batch, it won't show as well.

haha they can't be selling u a pre-sale crash tested car  [laugh]

yeah lah when the component maker/manufacturer does outright cheating/fabrication, very hard to find out until stuff like takata happens.

Twincharged

why you so concerned ... you don't take mrt also right ?? :a-no:

think 1st batch of SMRT trains were from Jappieland, kawasaki or sumthin' like that

• Praise 1

why you so concerned ... you don't take mrt also right ?? :a-no:

Huh?

I take mrt home after work everyday.

You want to take my mrt card to verify?  :grin:

Hmmm...

If those cars tested in IIHS or EURO NCAP with the ratings, will the safety standards be the same for the same car but manufactured in other regions?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1