OnePlus is collecting your private data without permission

zipping

http://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/tech-news-oneplus-collecting-your-private-data-without-permission

P1010122.jpg

OnePlus is known for its great value smartphones, but you may want to think twice before buying one. Security researcher Chris Moore has discovered that OnePlus' OxygenOS has quietly been collecting a ton of user data and transmitting it to a OnePlus server along with your phone's serial number.

Moore detailed how OnePlus devices record data at various points, including when a user locks or unlocks the screen, which apps are opened, used, and closed, and which Wi-Fi networks the device connects to. While that's fairly standard, it's almost unheard of to tie that data to the phone’s IMEI, phone number, and mobile network names, which means the data can easily be traced back to you.

According to Moore, the code responsible for the data collection is part of OnePlus Device Manager and OnePlus Device Manager Provider. Moore says in his case, the services had sent off 16MB of data in 10 hours.

Responding to the controversy, OnePlus revealed it collects two streams of data from all users. The first is termed "usage analytics," which helps it to improve its software. It also adds that this type of data-sharing can be turned off by going into settings, selecting "advanced," and turning off "join user experience program." However, the second stream, which OnePlus refers to as "device information" can't be turned off.

"We securely transmit analytics in two different streams over HTTPS to an Amazon server. The first stream is usage analytics, which we collect in order for us to more precisely fine tune our software according to user behavior. This transmission of usage activity can be turned off by navigating to 'Settings' -> 'Advanced' -> 'Join user experience program'. The second stream is device information, which we collect to provide better after-sales support."

Source: Chris Moore and XDA Developers

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Not to long ago,  something similar was said of xiaomi I think.  

If anyone thinks that iphone and samsung not doing this also,  he/she may want to think again.   [laugh]  [laugh]  [laugh]

• Praise 3

Is there really anything to be worried about?

A typical facebook user would have given them 100x what oneplus is said to be collecting.

I think I would be more concerned about this: "Moore says in his case, the services had sent off 16MB of data in 10 hours."

wtf... anyhow use my data!

• Praise 2

Is there really anything to be worried about?

A typical facebook user would have given them 100x what oneplus is said to be collecting.

I think I would be more concerned about this: "Moore says in his case, the services had sent off 16MB of data in 10 hours."

wtf... anyhow use my data!

yah lor... if always on the move (no wifi), then one month will have sent 1.15 GB already... very easy will burst the 2 GB plan hor...

And my girl's plan is only 500 MB...

post-172915-0-20147100-1507797845.jpg

When i was watch tis movie back in 1998, i was tinking...wth to b monitored 24/7 where u r...what u r doin...etc. 

Now less than 20 yrs later......it is becoming a reality and fact of life....

• Praise 1

Not to long ago,  something similar was said of xiaomi I think.  

If anyone thinks that iphone and samsung not doing this also,  he/she may want to think again.   [laugh]  

Hei...... yours is Xiao Mei Mei lar, gave all your particulars to her when you are in drunk stage inside a KTV back room.....  :serious-business: 

What Xiaomi .. :slow: 

:XD:     :XD: 

• Praise 1

Google collects the most.... until it keeps giggling and giggling.... [:)]

If Windows Mobile is not dead, I will continue to use WM...

Yea..Google collect alot.

To understand abit on how much they collect...go to ur 'Google' app in ur mobile, select Settings then Accounts&Privacy then My Activity (to c wat has been monitored and recorded) or Google Activity Controls to 'control abit'...

• Praise 6

Yea..Google collect alot.

To understand abit on how much they collect...go to ur 'Google' app in ur mobile, select Settings then Accounts&Privacy then My Activity (to c wat has been monitored and recorded) or Google Activity Controls to 'control abit'...

At least i use google maps, google search bar etc, the algorithms do benefit myself to some extent if they give better predictions.

Give to the phone manufacturer, no benefit to myself.

peasants nothing to lose, rich people more worried their wealth kena expose and kena kidnap. They dun use smart phone and dun carry credit cards.

↡ Advertisement