Help! Appeal careless driving offence?

DorisChin

Hubby was driving my car. Received call from TP suddenly saying that there was a hit-and-run by my car. Finally found out that the "hit-and-run" was when hubby came out of parking lot and accidently hit the side of another car, causing the other car bumper to fall off.

He was not aware that he had hit the other car. My car camera showed that his exit from parking lot was smooth and there was no sudden stop by my car. He also did not exit the car to check or anything like that.

My car (Merc) showed some paint on the back passenger (right side) door. Upon some washing, all was removed and only a tiny small pen hole dent as found.

Hubby then received a notice of offence from TP. 2 offences - careless driving ($200 + 6 points) and $200 for failing to stop after accident.

Hubby said to just pay up and close case. But I feel its rather unfair and he should appeal. Any advice? 

Coming out of parking lot was your husband turning right or left and was the other car parked or what?

↡ Advertisement

Twincharged

Well said...

While i can appreciate TS's love for her hubby...to seek advice from mcf, I too, can understand the frustration from the other car's owner...

If the other party is not willing to discuss PS, just let him do what he desire...claim insurance lor...dont forget to say sorry if there is a chance.

In most cases, admiring a mistake sincerely opens the doors to discussion.

I was reared begining of this year. The other driver was a mother rushing to send kids to school. 1st thing she said to me..."so sorry, I couldnt stopped in time...are you okay". I checked back bumper, slight scratches, exchanged some details, drive on. Later we communicated via texts. I told her left some marks/scratches...no need to repair and I moved on...She text back and say thank you...

Frankly, we need some grace in our society. Too often, we want to avoid responsibility...anyway, drive with care...

a clear head and good attitude would definitely help.

when i was rear-ended last year when i stopped at a amber light, the driver's first question was : you could have gone through, why didn't you go ?

that was really a bad start.

• Praise 2

Some things just don't add up. I shall summarize:

Most dash cams don't hold more than a few days' worth of recordings. The time elapsed for the other car's owner to realize the hit and run, capture the footage, and report the (minor) matter to the TP, and for the TP to process the case and contact your husband took how long?

For you to download the footage, it must mean you realized a hit and run was committed. You or your husband should have owned up first.

How did the other driver get your husband's phone number? I am sure the TP will not provide such details to the other party. 

I don't think we are seeing the full story yet.

Edited by Macrosszero
  • Praise 10

when i was rear-ended last year when i stopped at a amber light, the driver's first question was : you could have gone through, why didn't you go ?

Tio-xi-lor...

Glad you could understand my auto corrected msg...

Far too often...defence-mechanism triggered 1st...

"I just wanted to test how tough my car is" :D

Since the TP has initiated action against the driver and insurer has been notified, just leave it at that. There is no need to negotiate with other party any more! Let the law take its course! The driver will not have to go to jail for such a minor accident! If the other party persist to harass, then lodge a police report!

• Praise 2

Unfortunately the other party a bit "cukoo", refuse to settle, must claim insurance. Also trying to record incriminating evidence, so we give up on him liao.

Lucky I have NCB protector. Not sure how my insurance will respond to him, unless he got car camera. According to TP, there is no camera at the area where the accident happened.

I know that he is not happy about accident. But really, it's not like purposely hit him.

Honestly, my hubby say he was not aware until TP call him. I guess his car workmanship too poor when he do the modification. Like toufu, one small hit at the side and entire bumper fall off.

Just leave it to insurer then.
  • Praise 1

Supercharged

ans: "u could've kept a safe distance away from me, y didn't u?"

Twincharged

ans: "u could've kept a safe distance away from me, y didn't u?"

once i heard that, i kicked into offensive mode liow ... instead of apologizing to me, he blame me ??

i straightway asked him if he did not attend driving school is it ? yellow light is stop or step on the gas ? then he still argue.

knn, with my wife and my one year old baby in the back seat, i already hot liow ... but i just maintain the lights were yellow ... then after a while he said go to his workshop to fix.

(edited)

For this case, the TP called me within 30mins!! Gave me the scare of my life when he said it was a hit&run!! I imagined someone lying on the road dead/or dying! Turns out it was just an damaged car and not some human being/animal.

My hubby turned left when he was exiting the lot, my car was hit on the back (left side) passenger door. No real injury to my car, only a pinhole dent. Unfortunately the other car serious damage with bumper fall off (not bumper clip), but you can see the bumper only has like 2 hooks in the center inside (of course i could see it as it already fell off in the picture).

It's not the first time i am in involved in accidents, most of the time, people are civil and try to resolve peacefully. Of course, there will be downtime for most accidents and it's not like people purposefully have accident. But for this case, i am really shocked about the aggressiveness of the other party, and also very surprised about the very quick and non-stop follow up of TP.

Edited by DorisChin

For this case, the TP called me within 30mins!! Gave me the scare of my life when he said it was a hit&run!! I imagined someone lying on the road dead/or dying! Turns out it was just an damaged car and not some human being/animal.

My hubby turned left when he was exiting the lot, my car was hit on the back (left side) passenger door. No real injury to my car, only a pinhole dent. Unfortunately the other car serious damage with bumper fall off (not bumper clip), but you can see the bumper only has like 2 hooks in the center inside (of course i could see it as it already fell off in the picture).

It's not the first time i am in involved in accidents, most of the time, people are civil and try to resolve peacefully. Of course, there will be downtime for most accidents and it's not like people purposefully have accident. But for this case, i am really shocked about the aggressiveness of the other party, and also very surprised about the very quick and non-stop follow up of TP.

"My car (Merc) showed some paint on the back passenger (right side) door. Upon some washing, all was removed and only a tiny small pen hole dent as found."

I see that the blue and red don't tally! At first you said right side (red) in your first post, and then you said left (in blue)! Which is which?

It is treated as a hit-and-run case, otherwise, TP would not have been involved!

Now there is no need to entertain the other party and let the law take its course!

• Praise 1

Thanks for spotting the error! Shows that you are a very meticulous person!  [laugh]

Made a mistake.. confirm it is left side back passenger door that is hit. 

Thanks for spotting the error! Shows that you are a very meticulous person!  [laugh]

Made a mistake.. confirm it is left side back passenger door that is hit. 

No problem. I was just trying to figure out how the accident happened!

My car was rear ended few years ago. The lady driver agreed to settle privately. While she was drawing money from an ATM, she called her lady boss. Her boss told her not to settle privately. She was very aggressive even though her staff was fully liable. She even threatened to lodge a police report against me for trying to extort from the driver. I told her to go ahead!

• Praise 1

You still didn't address why your husband and the other car owner could talk to each other directly. Never mind.

Anyway appeal if you like, but likely your husband will get hit with the offense. But don't worry - it is compoundable. Don't even need to attend court. You're just going to have to take the insurance hit on the chin. No more private settlement one way or another.

• Praise 1

But for this case, i am really shocked about the aggressiveness of the other party, and also very surprised about the very quick and non-stop follow up of TP.

I am not an aggressive person and i will do the same. 

To me, hit and run driver deserves the demerit points, fine etc

The other party has the rights not to settle the case privately 

• Praise 5

erhmmmmmmmmmmmm.... do you consider car accidents are a norm in your life? 

if u deem yourself and your husband, both do not have the skills to manoeuvre a vehicle, pls take public transport.

next time a limb or even a life might be lost because of your lack of skill

ARE YOU GOING TO TELL THE DECEASED FAMILY;  it's not like people purposefully have accident?!?!

• Praise 9

Just to clarify: most of the accidents in the past were when people hit my car, not i hit others. In fact, most of the time, it's just small scratches, then i will just say it's okay, forget it. If need to repair, we just exchange contact and then the other party just pay some amount to cover the touch up.

Please don't anyhow make judgement when you don't know all the facts. Accidents do happen and it is not related to skill level. That's why its called an accident.

In this case, the TP gave my hubby contact to the other party, with his approval. Again, i need to state that my hubby is not aware of incident.

Hopefully none of you squash a cat, a rat, or a cockroach when driving next time and drive off unknowingly, it will be called a hit and run too.

My original intention was just to ask whether my hubby should appeal the TP fine. Thanks for all the inputs, am now exiting this forum.

i did talk to my hubby but he said he really did not feel anything or hear anything. The other party picture shows that his car bumper did fall off but my car shows no injury at all. 

Looking at the other car, the bumper looks modified. My reporting centre told me that the other driver is pissed off because insurance will not help to repair the modified part, just replace with original bumper. 

And the other car bumper really looks very fragile type, only has 2 hooks. 

Well, if everyone says so, I guess it's better to just pay and forget about the case. Anyway, my hubby  was planning to pay it off.

A bit late but in this case, isn't it better for the other party to private settle? Since you would then presumably pay for a modified bumper? (Can't be more expensive than claiming insurance right?).

Well said...

While i can appreciate TS's love for her hubby...to seek advice from mcf, I too, can understand the frustration from the other car's owner...

If the other party is not willing to discuss PS, just let him do what he desire...claim insurance lor...dont forget to say sorry if there is a chance.

In most cases, admiring a mistake sincerely opens the doors to discussion.

I was reared begining of this year. The other driver was a mother rushing to send kids to school. 1st thing she said to me..."so sorry, I couldnt stopped in time...are you okay". I checked back bumper, slight scratches, exchanged some details, drive on. Later we communicated via texts. I told her left some marks/scratches...no need to repair and I moved on...She text back and say thank you...

Frankly, we need some grace in our society. Too often, we want to avoid responsibility...anyway, drive with care...

You can say sorry but don't admit fault. Even insurance coy will tell you never to admit fault.

Learn from our politicians and do a classic non-apology apology.

↡ Advertisement