AirAsia flight from Perth to Bali drops 22,000 feet mid-air

Dleodleo

Video and article:

http://www.asiaone.com/world/airasia-flight-qz535-perth-bali-drops-22000-feet-mid-air

AirAsia flight QZ535 from Perth to Bali drops 22,000 feet mid-air

Passengers on board AirAsia Indonesian flight QZ535 from Perth to Bali went through a major scare on Sunday when the plane made a sudden drop right after take-off. 

According to media reports, the plane was said to have plunged two-thirds of its altitude from 32,000 feet to 10,000 feet about 25 minutes into the flight.

It is said that a technical issue caused the cabin to lose pressure. The plane was carrying 151 passengers, according to the latest report from Xinhua.

Videos of the incident showed oxygen masks dropping and passengers told to brace and "get down, get down".

The plane turned back to Perth and landed safely at the airport and passengers reportedly boarded another aircraft provided by the low-cost carrier to Bali.

Passengers interviewed by 7News said some passengers started getting on their phones to message their family and loved ones.

There have been no reports of injuries to passengers and crew.

AirAsia Indonesia said in a statement that their engineers in Perth are investigating the aircraft: "The safety of our guests is our utmost priority. AirAsia Indonesia apologises for any inconvenience caused."

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 6

Video and article:

http://www.asiaone.com/world/airasia-flight-qz535-perth-bali-drops-22000-feet-mid-air

AirAsia flight QZ535 from Perth to Bali drops 22,000 feet mid-air

Passengers on board AirAsia Indonesian flight QZ535 from Perth to Bali went through a major scare on Sunday when the plane made a sudden drop right after take-off. 

According to media reports, the plane was said to have plunged two-thirds of its altitude from 32,000 feet to 10,000 feet about 25 minutes into the flight.

It is said that a technical issue caused the cabin to lose pressure. The plane was carrying 151 passengers, according to the latest report from Xinhua.

Videos of the incident showed oxygen masks dropping and passengers told to brace and "get down, get down".

The plane turned back to Perth and landed safely at the airport and passengers reportedly boarded another aircraft provided by the low-cost carrier to Bali.

Passengers interviewed by 7News said some passengers started getting on their phones to message their family and loved ones.

There have been no reports of injuries to passengers and crew.

AirAsia Indonesia said in a statement that their engineers in Perth are investigating the aircraft: "The safety of our guests is our utmost priority. AirAsia Indonesia apologises for any inconvenience caused."

Drop 22,000 feet is really balls drop....

I was on an SIA plane to(or was it from?) guangzhou/HK 2 months back and we had a sudden unexplained drop as well. Definitely not 22k feet (maybe just 5 feet?) but still shocking nonetheless. 

• Praise 1

I would be saying goodbye to my kids and wife too. Scary stuff.

Actually is it possible to say good bye? 

Is airasia one of those with wifi on board?

Actually is it possible to say good bye? 

Is airasia one of those with wifi on board?

oh i will travel with my kids and family lah. I don't do work trips lol.

Just brace and hug my kids.

• Praise 1

Journalists rush to write on things which are out of their scope of knowledge...

Calling a 22,000 feet "plunge" is just too dramatic.

What happened is a cabin depressurisation - something caused the cabin to lose pressure; could be faulty control component, rather than structural problem (i.e there is an actual leak).

Standard procedure when depressurisation occurs is that the oxygen masks will drop and the pilots will execute a rapid descent to 10,000 feet to ensure breathable atmosphere for the passengers. It's a descent under controlled flight, a dive, not a "plunge".

The oxygen masks are to sustain the passengers for the amount of time required per regulations - if there are no obstacles, e.g. when flying over the ocean, the descent to 10,000 feet can be done quickly. But if, say, the flight is over high or mountainous terrain, then it would have to take a while to fly clear of these obstacles before able to descend to 10,000 feet. Again, that's what the internal oxygen supply through the masks is for - to sustain the passengers in the meantime - and the pressure of the oxygen cylinders (amount of oxygen) is checked before flight.

• Praise 16

Journalists rush to write on things which are out of their scope of knowledge...

Calling a 22,000 feet "plunge" is just too dramatic.

What happened is a cabin depressurisation - something caused the cabin to lose pressure; could be faulty control component, rather than structural problem (i.e there is an actual leak).

Standard procedure when depressurisation occurs is that the oxygen masks will drop and the pilots will execute a rapid descent to 10,000 feet to ensure breathable atmosphere for the passengers. It's a descent under controlled flight, a dive, not a "plunge".

The oxygen masks are to sustain the passengers for the amount of time required per regulations - if there are no obstacles, e.g. when flying over the ocean, the descent to 10,000 feet can be done quickly. But if, say, the flight is over high or mountainous terrain, then it would have to take a while to fly clear of these obstacles before able to descend to 10,000 feet. Again, that's what the internal oxygen supply through the masks is for - to sustain the passengers in the meantime - and the pressure of the oxygen cylinders (amount of oxygen) is checked before flight.

what you had described is correct. instead of investigative reporting, those journalists were more inclined to come up with sensational news. this is totally unhelpful.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/AWQ535/history/20171015/0335Z/YPPH/WADD

i estimated the aircraft's descent at a rate of ~ 2000 feet per minute. it was rapid but not extreme.

• Praise 4

still dare to take another Air Asia plane? very brave!  [shocked]

Actually I very kiasi one. 

I dare not take Air Asia, MAS and Garuda whenever I fly.  Oh and also Qantas - not for safety reasons.

• Praise 2

what you had described is correct. instead of investigative reporting, those journalists were more inclined to come up with sensational news. this is totally unhelpful.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/AWQ535/history/20171015/0335Z/YPPH/WADD

i estimated the aircraft's descent at a rate of ~ 2000 feet per minute. it was rapid but not extreme.

yeah well, whatever actually happened, for us passengers, net outcome is balls still drop +- pee in the pants hahaha  [laugh]

Drop 22,000 feet is really balls drop....

I was on an SIA plane to(or was it from?) guangzhou/HK 2 months back and we had a sudden unexplained drop as well. Definitely not 22k feet (maybe just 5 feet?) but still shocking nonetheless. 

Yeah agree, even a sudden 5 feet drop is scary not to say 22K :slow:

Luckily the flight landed with no injuries, god bless.

• Praise 2

yeah well, whatever actually happened, for us passengers, net outcome is balls still drop +- pee in the pants hahaha [laugh]

Confirmed it will happen
  • Praise 1

yeah well, whatever actually happened, for us passengers, net outcome is balls still drop +- pee in the pants hahaha  [laugh]

indeed, it was a harrowing experience for those on board the plane.  [sweatdrop] i just wish the journalists had done more homework before releasing such news.

↡ Advertisement