AirAsia flight from Perth to Bali drops 22,000 feet mid-air

Dleodleo

indeed, it was a harrowing experience for those on board the plane.  [sweatdrop] i just wish the journalists had done more homework before releasing such news.

yeah actually the rapid rate of descent is cos the pilots are doing emergency procedure to return to like 10,000m so that atmospheric pressure is enough to breathe without use of mask (in case of a depressurised cabin). But to the passengers, just seems like roller coaster ride to hell  [laugh]

Think 777_jubilee explained before.

Edited by Lala81
↡ Advertisement

Journalists rush to write on things which are out of their scope of knowledge...

Calling a 22,000 feet "plunge" is just too dramatic.

What happened is a cabin depressurisation - something caused the cabin to lose pressure; could be faulty control component, rather than structural problem (i.e there is an actual leak).

Standard procedure when depressurisation occurs is that the oxygen masks will drop and the pilots will execute a rapid descent to 10,000 feet to ensure breathable atmosphere for the passengers. It's a descent under controlled flight, a dive, not a "plunge".

The oxygen masks are to sustain the passengers for the amount of time required per regulations - if there are no obstacles, e.g. when flying over the ocean, the descent to 10,000 feet can be done quickly. But if, say, the flight is over high or mountainous terrain, then it would have to take a while to fly clear of these obstacles before able to descend to 10,000 feet. Again, that's what the internal oxygen supply through the masks is for - to sustain the passengers in the meantime - and the pressure of the oxygen cylinders (amount of oxygen) is checked before flight.

I really thought is like machiam fighter jet like that

Journalists rush to write on things which are out of their scope of knowledge...

Calling a 22,000 feet "plunge" is just too dramatic.

What happened is a cabin depressurisation - something caused the cabin to lose pressure; could be faulty control component, rather than structural problem (i.e there is an actual leak).

Standard procedure when depressurisation occurs is that the oxygen masks will drop and the pilots will execute a rapid descent to 10,000 feet to ensure breathable atmosphere for the passengers. It's a descent under controlled flight, a dive, not a "plunge".

The oxygen masks are to sustain the passengers for the amount of time required per regulations - if there are no obstacles, e.g. when flying over the ocean, the descent to 10,000 feet can be done quickly. But if, say, the flight is over high or mountainous terrain, then it would have to take a while to fly clear of these obstacles before able to descend to 10,000 feet. Again, that's what the internal oxygen supply through the masks is for - to sustain the passengers in the meantime - and the pressure of the oxygen cylinders (amount of oxygen) is checked before flight.

wah you aerospace industry one har?

[thumbsup]  :D

I think the problem is the crew didn't explain to the passengers

that due to loss of cabin pressure they will be making a rapid

decent to 10,000 feet.

This is probably due to the last time another captain said -

everyone please start praying and the management probably

said to the pilots you cannot say things like this and so they

didn't know what to say.

:D

Edited by Jamesc

Passengers Slam 'Hysterical' Airline Crew for Panicking When Plane Suddenly Drops 20,000 Feet

The airline said in a statement that the plane, which was carrying 151 people, had to turn back "following a technical issue to ensure the safety of passengers."According to data from Flightaware.com, the plane dropped from more than 34,000 feet to 10,000 feet in around 15 minutes. In the event of cabin depressurization it is common practice for pilots to descend to that altitude.

http://time.com/4983613/airasia-flight-bali-hysterical-crew/

• Praise 1

Drop 22,000 feet is really balls drop....

I was on an SIA plane to(or was it from?) guangzhou/HK 2 months back and we had a sudden unexplained drop as well. Definitely not 22k feet (maybe just 5 feet?) but still shocking nonetheless. 

Ya lor.   I agree.  Severe turbulence I also very scare liao not to mention sudden drop.

• Praise 1

This is a close call.

I wonder what went through the minds of those on the missing MH370 flight...

I dont think its a close call. Like sosaria said its pretty much sop. Not a plunge. Only that newspapers worldwide must sell drama. Even in uk they love to report it plunge like it dropped out of the sky
  • Praise 1

I think the passengers got scared because the crew went hysterical.

If I saw the crew panicking I would be really frightened as I think they know something bad is happening and not telling us.

Twincharged

I think the passengers got scared because the crew went hysterical.

If I saw the crew panicking I would be really frightened as I think they know something bad is happening and not telling us.

• Praise 2

I dont think its a close call. Like sosaria said its pretty much sop. Not a plunge. Only that newspapers worldwide must sell drama. Even in uk they love to report it plunge like it dropped out of the sky

Disagree. We can say like this cos the plane did not crash. If it had crashed we will all be saying it plunged.

If I were the passenger on board I will DEFINITELY not be thinking this is a controlled descent to 10000 feet. Even if the captain said it was a controlled descent, my only thought will be "I'll believe it after we land."

cannot leh.. else not consider mile high club liao

One mile is 5200 ft

So at 10k ft, almost double the mileage already.

Very high already

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1