When will LTA implement "Stop the Crash"? Or wait long long?

Jwee85

SOURCE: https://jalopnik.com/this-is-how-abs-esc-and-traction-control-work-513807036

Hope this helps to clarify. It's Sunday folks!

ABS (Anti-lock Braking Systems)
A standard Anti-lock Braking System uses four wheel speed sensors, a hydraulic pump, four hydraulic valves (assuming it is a 4 channel setup), and a controller. The controller in the ABS system monitors the speed of each wheel using the wheel speed sensors, which are usually hall effect sensors. If the controller sees that one wheel is decelerating at a rate that couldn't possibly correspond to the vehicle's rate of deceleration, it actuates the hydraulic valve in that wheel's brake line to reduce the brake pressure applied to that wheel. This allows the wheel to turn faster. Once the wheel is back up to speed, it uses the pump to introduce the pressure back into that brake line, applying that brake again. When the controller sees rapid deceleration again, it activates the valve and the cycle repeats about 15 times per second.

ESC (Electronic Stability Control)
A spinoff of ABS (pun fully intended), electronic stability control (ESC) is a computerized control system that applies brakes to individual wheels and reduces engine power to ensure that drivers maintain control of their vehicles.

To understand how this system works, imagine you are driving down the highway at 60 miles per hour. You swerve left to avoid hitting a raccoon. What happens in the short duration to follow? The yaw rate sensor determines where your car is pointing, the steering angle sensor determines where your front wheels are pointing, the accelerometer determines if your vehicle is sliding, and the wheel speed sensors monitor each wheel’s speed.

The control module recognizes the discrepancy between the intended path (communicated by the steering angle sensor) and the actual path (communicated via the yaw rate sensor) and sends a signal to the hydraulic unit, directing it to increase braking power to the left rear wheel. This causes the automobile to rotate left (the desired response). If necessary, the control module will also reduce engine power by sending a signal to the throttle actuator asking it to close the butterfly valve.

Traction Control
Traction control works in a similar way as ESC. If a vehicle is unable to gain traction in icy conditions, one wheel will spin while the other simply remains stationary. This is the nature of an open differential: the wheel with the least traction receives the most power. This is undesirable in low-traction situations. As such, traction control can step in. Traction control monitors wheel speed using ABS wheel speed sensors. If a wheel is slipping, traction control reduces engine power to help the wheel regain traction. If necessary, traction control can also apply the brakes to the slipping wheel. This will transfer power to the other wheel (which now has more "traction") depending on surface conditions.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4

Bro, most of Singapore drivers don't have the opportunity to learn advance driving techniques and many time natural instincts sets it. And these natural instincts can lead to accidents... like counter steering when skidding, over steer to avoid obstacle, looking at obstacles and end up hitting them instead of looking at exit points...

Like it was mentioned above, these modern safety features do not fully take over the human intervention, they come in only when human intervention is wrong or non existence

Nope i still dont trust technology. Human instinct is still proven to be the best creation....unless that instinct is taken over by ego and pride. Whats so nice about driving if the task is taken over by an AI.....might as well take mrt or be driven by a chauffer.
As you said about the car coming to a direct emergency stop can the car sense a big vehicle barrelling behind or just any other vehicle that may be in the rear.
Yes, I am ignorant about these technological wonders but these are human creation and like human it can never be perfect. They are controlled by programmes and there are always glitches be it due to nature or through human created flaws. I rather drives to err on the side of my human flaw than put my trust and life on something created to think for me when to ebrake or stop.

• Praise 1

Bro, most of Singapore drivers don't have the opportunity to learn advance driving techniques and many time natural instincts sets it. And these natural instincts can lead to accidents... like counter steering when skidding, over steer to avoid obstacle, looking at obstacles and end up hitting them instead of looking at exit points...

Like it was mentioned above, these modern safety features do not fully take over the human intervention, they come in only when human intervention is wrong or non existence

then this kind of drivers shouldnt be on the road for his own and everyone else safety. Eversince they introduced the Auto driving license the roads is getting from bad to worse as many would just take the A licence without knowing much the basics of physics and dynamics involved in driving. Better i dont talk so much.....later kana flame for nothing.

I agree but TP issue licence based on passing the driving centre tests. and with A license, many don't ever know the existence of gears not to mention how to take corners, avoiding obstacles, being in the correct lanes, adjusting speed even if it means going slightly above speed limit...

looking at the total population drivers, many are like that.

having said that, there are probably even more drivers, who who are very knowledgeable n skilful but don't know how to use signal sticks and don't know the existence of blind spots

then this kind of drivers shouldnt be on the road for his own and everyone else safety. Eversince they introduced the Auto driving license the roads is getting from bad to worse as many would just take the A licence without knowing much the basics of physics and dynamics involved in driving. Better i dont talk so much.....later kana flame for nothing.

I agree but TP issue licence based on passing the driving centre tests. and with A license, many don't ever know the existence of gears not to mention how to take corners, avoiding obstacles, being in the correct lanes, adjusting speed even if it means going slightly above speed limit...

looking at the total population drivers, many are like that.

having said that, there are probably even more drivers, who who are very knowledgeable n skilful but don't know how to use signal sticks and don't know the existence of blind spots

too may aholes on the roads thinking they got skills just because they passed the A licence. Should just scrap the A licence......learn the basics of driving if not take mrt. Autos are for those that have driving experience on a manual because driving is not just about the gas or the brake pedals.
  • Praise 1

& equal number of aholes on the roads thinking they got skills just because they can drive a manual

too may aholes on the roads thinking they got skills just because they passed the A licence. Should just scrap the A licence......learn the basics of driving if not take mrt. Autos are for those that have driving experience on a manual because driving is not just about the gas or the brake pedals.

• Praise 1

& equal number of aholes on the roads thinking they got skills just because they can drive a manual

bro....i take my working place as an example. There are about 60-70 cars.....oni 1 is manual.....the percentage of manual cars to auto is less than 10%.....maybe oni 5 %. So the odds of meeting 1 manual on the road is rather slim...

I meant those that can drive manual, meaning has a Class 3 licence, not necessarily driving a manual now

bro....i take my working place as an example. There are about 60-70 cars.....oni 1 is manual.....the percentage of manual cars to auto is less than 10%.....maybe oni 5 %. So the odds of meeting 1 manual on the road is rather slim...

bro... nowadays many younger people go for manual test fail many times, but go auto then pass 1st time. new generation different already, cannot compare.

that being said, safe driving is more on road sense than manual skills. although i like manual cars, its getting harder to find new manual cars nowadays (other than conti or indent etc).

some people drive manual, roll back on upslope and cause accidents leh...

• Praise 1

I meant those that can drive manual, meaning has a Class 3 licence, not necessarily driving a manual now

so can conclude that Auto transmission is the main cause....

so can conclude that Auto transmission is the main cause....ððð....kidding....kidding. i dont use my phone while driving because i have to upshift or downshift....i find it impossible to drive and talk on my hp at the same time especially in a start and stop traffic and i hate using an earpiece. So basically those phone calls can wait.

immediate failure lei....ððð. Thats why i say Auto is way too easy to pass!

haha but heng heng when test that time didnt roll back. after pass liao then happen...

Only my last two cars auto. Before then were all manual. 120y to corolla to swift all manual. Good to has especially during courtship. Accidently moved further outward and touches the thigh. LoL. Auto no excuse now. Haha
  • Praise 1

Only my last two cars auto. Before then were all manual. 120y to corolla to swift all manual. Good to has especially during courtship. Accidently moved further outward and touches the thigh. LoL. Auto no excuse now. Haha

no wonder birthrates are declining

dunno why, people like to call me just when i'm driving! somehow they know i driving then purposely call me during that time ahaha... i'm using a bluetooth earpiece now.

there was a study that shows talking on a phone with ear-piece or blue-tooth is very distracting! Talking with passengers will be different as the passenger will be your 3rd and 2nd eyes. I will ignore any calls while i am driving....serious! Sms oni used when i am stucked in a jam and will be late......the rest will have to wait for me to reach my destination.
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1