Are We Ready for Electric Car, Safety & Environmental Aspect

Carbon82

As long as if it is more expensive and no tax break from govt, no one is ready. 

So the big questions is how ready our govt is.

With Europe & China aggressively moving towards electric car, we might end up with shitty cars build in Thailand soon.

↡ Advertisement

Supersonic
(edited)

How to be carbon free?

Use non fossil fuels in the power stations.

Because the govt has this idiotic mindset to penalize the electric power train of the car instead of directly to the power stations.

Edited by DACH

Because the govt has this idiotic mindset to penalize the electric power train of the car instead of directly to the power stations.

That's we need nuclear fission power station.  Sure boh?

Are you sure its feasible at this point in time? Which country has absolute carbon free power plants now?

Supersonic

Are you sure its feasible at this point in time? Which country has absolute carbon free power plants now?

Maybe you want to ask which city in the world instead of country, since Singapore has a very small area compared to many cities around the world.

I am not sure if it has been achieved now, but I believe it can be achieved in the near future.

Unless the govt changes its stance in penalizing the electric cars, penalize the power source instead, else how will electric cars take off here?

Maybe you want to ask which city in the world instead of country, since Singapore has a very small area compared to many cities around the world.

I am not sure if it has been achieved now, but I believe it can be achieved in the near future.

Unless the govt changes its stance in penalizing the electric cars, penalize the power source instead, else how will electric cars take off here?

City also don't have leh. Quite tough to get constant source of power on renewables. Cos renewables depend a lot on weather factors. Will still need to come from Fossil fuelled power plants. Renewables can help to reduce reliance on FF but unlikely independence la.

I once spoke to someone from EDB and ask why are we not generating electricity from the following sources, which we have abundant, and the answer is ... ... [rolleyes]  [shakehead]  [shakehead]

- Wind, answer: too noisy and we don't have enough open space

- Water / sea current, answer: we have no dam, too complex and costly

- Solar (large scale), answer: we have cloudly weather?!!!

On the record, I think all the above 3 is highly feasible (with some serious investment from the goverenment of course), and I DON'T support Nuclear power, 'cos the risk outweight the commercial gain.

• Praise 5

Supersonic

City also don't have leh. Quite tough to get constant source of power on renewables. Cos renewables depend a lot on weather factors. Will still need to come from Fossil fuelled power plants. Renewables can help to reduce reliance on FF but unlikely independence la.

Then electric cars should not be penalized, for the pollution caused by power stations.

If we really want electric cars to take off here.

Whichever energy source (to be) used to provide motive force to power vehicles (automobiles, marine, aviation and space), it will always be Big Oil that will take the biggest cut off the supply chain, with the exception of countries that have gone nuclear, hydro, or (diminishing) coal.

Even the whole big F1 industry - from racing fuel, to lubricants, to even tyre technology (butyl rubber).

Hybrids and EV electricity source from the Gencos (aka power stations) are fuelled by natural gas (a fossil fuel variant) in Singapore. Shell, ExxonMobil have large stakes in upstream equity gas imports and in the utilisation of both our LNG terminals and regasification facilities, holding hands tightly with Pavilion.

Even the Li-ion battery’s technology copyright and its attendant royalty fees are owned by ExxonMobil, the inventor of Li-ion.

https://energyfactor.exxonmobil.com/science-technology/battery-changed-world/

So Big Oil still controls a significant portion of the overall supply chain, from “the-well-to-the-pump”, to feed our high (almost additive) dependency on fossil fuel based energy sources!

I once spoke to someone from EDB and ask why are we not generating electricity from the following sources, which we have abundant, and the answer is ... ... [rolleyes][shakehead][shakehead]

On the record, I think all the above 3 is highly feasible (with some serious investment from the goverenment of course), and I DON'T support Nuclear power, 'cos the risk outweight the commercial gain.

Sometime talking to these officer will 1 puke blood.

For solar, HDB rooftop can install solar cell & stored using Tesla Powerwall. Each block costs USD 6k. Can store 13500 wh of power.

I support Gen IV nuclear power plant. That's only viable mass power generators after fossil fuel power plant.

Sometime talking to these officer will 1 puke blood.

For solar, HDB rooftop can install solar cell & stored using Tesla Powerwall. Each block costs USD 6k. Can store 13500 wh of power.

I support Gen IV nuclear power plant. That's only viable mass power generators after fossil fuel power plant.

Those few I spoke to are NOT officer, but Director level hor, that is what I shook my head...

The powerwall look interesting but I guess our government will not buy it (power generator is still generating healthy revenue at this moment). Get my point?

• Praise 5

Those few I spoke to are NOT officer, but Director level hor, that is what I shook my head...

The powerwall look interesting but I guess our government will not buy it (power generator is still generating healthy revenue at this moment). Get my point?

I know.  Our govt has not future proof our power generator which means we will be piak piak.

Turbocharged

I once spoke to someone from EDB and ask why are we not generating electricity from the following sources, which we have abundant, and the answer is ... ... [rolleyes]  [shakehead]  [shakehead]

today technology, it cost much more to generate the same amount of elect using the above then our current system. maybe anoyher 30 years time. what you are reading today are generally marketing brochures..drill deeper, you will find the truth. 

today technology, it cost much more to generate the same amount of elect using the above then our current system. maybe anoyher 30 years time. what you are reading today are generally marketing brochures..drill deeper, you will find the truth.

How about future proofing our power generator?

Even petro companies is moving towards non-petro chemical biz.

It's possible if thats a will that a way. So far I haven't seen a single wind turbine on Singapore coast line. Only a few buildings that have solar panels in Singapore. To power the whole Singapore electricity need is very very minimal land foot print with today technologies. Don't need to solely rely on fossil fuel.

Are you sure?

https://cleantechnica.com/2016/12/25/cost-of-solar-power-vs-cost-of-wind-power-coal-nuclear-natural-gas/

Turbocharged

I sincerely hope he is right haha

I sincerely hope he is right haha

i am not sure why it appear this way but i am replying to leafable

Wind turbine noise - Errr unless everyone live near the sea where all the tanker ship are than yes it noisy, otherwise you wouldn't hear a thing a few km away from land.

Sea current - Singapore is surrounded by sea isn't it?

Hydro dam - Sorry have to agree its impossible in Singapore. Not enough land space or hill.

Solar - If solar panels work in the UK or northern Europe it will 99% work better in Singapore. Cloudy in Singapore? Please...

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1