Game Over: LTA cuts vehicle growth rate to 0

flashbang

if there is 100k COE and everyone bids $10K ... COE will be $10K .... muahahaha

fck the AD !!!

Nov to Jan cut quota, Feb 2018 onwards not considered cut but 0 growth for vehicle population.

0 Growth mean, 1 COE in 1 COE out, nobody scrap, no new COEs allowed to be bidded...

There wont be more, the control is to not release anymore COEs in the market other than those scrapped.

Meaning 100k vehicle means 100k COE and it will maintain at such, not more extra than 100K COEs

↡ Advertisement

I think no need.

You already have a COE which is your current car. There is no restriction on renewal of COE, because your existing COE is still in the system, you are only extending its lifespan.

Unless they decide to shift goalposts again la.

I think he is talking about COE prices which affects the PQP he is paying

fck the AD !!!

Thats completely impossible to achieve, everyman for himself

• Praise 2

Technically you are right, unless you wanna gamble for COE prices to stay at this level until 2018 Aug in which with that Zero Growth measure in place, not quite possible

I was thinking so too. If I renew now, I lose 10 months of current COE and essentially pay $50k for 9 years. If I wait till Aug 8 and say COEs PQP goes up to about $80k, I will be paying $80k for 10 years.

I was thinking so too. If I renew now, I lose 10 months of current COE and essentially pay $50k for 9 years. If I wait till Aug 8 and say COEs PQP goes up to about $80k, I will be paying $80k for 10 years.

You pay 50K for 10yrs but lose your balance of current COE value could be 1000+ bucks.

You can still choose to dereg your vehicle on Aug 2018 and still take back your full parf, and unutilised COE balance 

Edited by JCSL

Then it is a gamble that he has to consider, to forfeit the balance PARF from now till COE expiry date and pay the prevailing PQP, or to ride it out till nearer to COE expiry date and pray the COE prices don't go up. Key is the difference he has to forfeit/top up if he chooses either option.

Catch 22 thingy. Either way, banker wins.

I think he is talking about COE prices which affects the PQP he is paying

fck the AD !!!

so true! But kiasee and kiasu with cash wont care lar.....as long as they prefer ad to bid for them the trend can only go up!

You pay 50K for 10yrs but lose your balance of current COE value could be 1000+ bucks.

You can still choose to dereg your vehicle on Aug 2018 and still take back your full parf, and unutilised COE balance

Current COE is only $19k. So I will give up about less than 2k. I intend to keep this car for another 10years, not intending to dereg. Sign man ... thought could wait it out the full 10 years before renewing

Then it is a gamble that he has to consider, to forfeit the balance PARF from now till COE expiry date and pay the prevailing PQP, or to ride it out till nearer to COE expiry date and pray the COE prices don't go up. Key is the difference he has to forfeit/top up if he chooses either option.

Catch 22 thingy. Either way, banker wins.

There is no forfeit of PARF!

As long as vehicle hasn't exceed 10yrs or life from date of registration, PARF will be intact doesn't matter when the COE was renewed

• Praise 1

As long as vehicle hasn't exceed 10yrs or life from date of registration, PARF will be intact doesn't matter when the COE was renewed

Not relevant to me, Since I intend to keep the car, forfeiting PARF in 2017or 18 makes no difference

My car also expiring in May 2018. Initially thinking COE will go lower with new emission rule, who knows they come up with this zero growth thingy. I think the effect from the new emission thing will even out with cut in supply. With this, I think the chance of see a drop in COE will be slim now. Haiz.

Not relevant to me, Since I intend to keep the car, forfeiting PARF in 2017or 18 makes no difference

I am saying, your parf still intact unitl last day should you "touchwood" have an accident total loss case

Ok, since you're in the car business, I guess you understand the system better. So my bad if my understanding is incorrect.

Could you thus clarify my doubt below:

If the car's COE expires in 2019 and COE is renewed in 2018, what happens to the balance of 1 year PARF? Forfeited upon renewal or will that 1 year of balance PARF be refunded to owner?

Not sure who share the feeling as me. But 0.25% to 0%, the total reduction is 576 (all cat.) per quarter? ~200 per month???

Now Cat. A quota reduced from 3630 to 3360 per month, Cat. C quota from 888 to 485 per month, this seems much more significant, at least short term wise.

• Praise 1

Nov to Jan cut quota, Feb 2018 onwards not considered cut but 0 growth for vehicle population.

0 Growth mean, 1 COE in 1 COE out, nobody scrap, no new COEs allowed to be bidded...

There wont be more, the control is to not release anymore COEs in the market other than those scrapped.

Meaning 100k vehicle means 100k COE and it will maintain at such, not more extra than 100K COEs

With taxi population going to downward trends, the unutilised COEs meant for taxis, pegged at CAT A PQP prices, would not be effecting an increase in overall COE quota for the next 3 years. But would these unutilised COEs be shifted to other categories like CAT A since they are previously pegged to CAT A PQP prices?

Turbocharged

Next step could be a cut to negative vehicle growth rates after the next review in 2020. Car lite vision is taking shape and looming...

Car lite masterplan should all execute in tandem.

If one component screws up, shouldn't the rest be put on hold?

The rail should be part of the plan, but it's been screwing up.

Should have waited till it's fixed then proceed with the other plans.

With an expected high coe that force people to give up driving, this is going to leave a sour taste when they get stuck in a train

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 5