GPS Standalone

elmoguy

Hi everyone. Is there a standalone GPS that comes with LIVE TRAFFIC feature?

Garmin GPS LIVE TRAFFIC doesn't work in Singapore.

TOMTOM GO 620 seems to have LIVE TRAFFIC?

Thanks.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Hi everyone. Is there a standalone GPS that comes with LIVE TRAFFIC feature?

Garmin GPS LIVE TRAFFIC doesn't work in Singapore.

TOMTOM GO 620 seems to have LIVE TRAFFIC?

Thanks.

Waze app on the mobile seems to be good. If you really want it to be a separate device, then maybe buying a cheap Android phone with a mobile data multi-SIM might serve as a good alternative?

Edited by Terrylmt
  • Praise 2

Twincharged

Waze app on the mobile seems to be good. If you really want it to be a separate device, then maybe buying a cheap Android phone with a mobile data multi-SIM might serve as a good alternative?

i use my phone but go into tunnel and the maps goes into "sleep mode" ... always missed my exits ...

i use my phone but go into tunnel and the maps goes into "sleep mode" ... always missed my exits ...

Actually when I used to use Garmin in my previous rides, everytime go tunnel i also go blind - "Lost satelite connection" or something.. LOL

With Waze or Google, I think the option to use mobile data is still available.

Thank you.

The reason why I never want to use mobile phone is:

a) Battery cannot be removed and direct link to car battery without modification

b) Waze is not a replacement for Google Map or standalone GPS as it cannot be search by postal code usually for most places

c) Phone cannot take withstand high temperature like what a standalone GPS can

d) If I were to modify phone by bypass the battery connector to the 12V charger, there is a possibility that the car can catch fire

Actually when I used to use Garmin in my previous rides, everytime go tunnel i also go blind - "Lost satelite connection" or something.. LOL

Not really, I experienced lost connection using Google Map in KPE while my GPS still okay.

• Praise 1

Thank you.

a) Battery cannot be removed and direct link to car battery without modification

b) Waze is not a replacement for Google Map or standalone GPS as it cannot be search by postal code usually for most places

d) If I were to modify phone by bypass the battery connector to the 12V charger, there is a possibility that the car can catch fire

Not really, I experienced lost connection using Google Map in KPE while my GPS still okay.

just sharing from my personal experience, i have been using my mobile phone with Google Map app for my GPS needs when driving, i must say that Google has improved the app features and GPS tracking since the earlier versions, such that it has become quite reliable for me. 

a) there is no need for any battery modification as i do not intend to leave my phone in the car permanently. in addition, my phone can be charged easily using USB charger to the cigarette lighter socket. 

b) personally i find that Google Maps gives more accurate real-time traffic info as compared to Waze (this is for usage in SG only, i believe Waze is still most preferred in MY). there is no issue in using Google Maps to search by postal code (unless like me, you have a friend who stays in some new housing estate which Google Maps do not even have the postal code yet). 

c) although i would not recommend this, i have put my phone on my dashboard holder for up to 5 hours continuously in the hot sun when i drive to and from KL. of course, as mentioned earlier, i do not leave my phone in the car permanently. 

d) better not try this haha... 

in MCE/KPE tunnel, my phone automatically switches to 3G/4G connection so that i do not miss my exits haha... 

i did consider getting a GPS device for my car, but so far my phone does the job for me. 

• Praise 4

Google maps on mobile phone the best - let you choose your routes based on trip duration which take into consideration traffic conditions.

There are some apps to turn on the phone and launch Maps once power to the phone is detected (engine on), and shut it down once charging is off (engine off).

I have given up on build-in or stand alone GPS!

• Praise 3

Checkout Galactio, Marbella, TomTom.

I tried Marbella before, navigation only, but didn't like the interface. Luckily was able to return.

As a Uber driver, for me using gps is 100% of the time.

How to get to the pickup location and how to get to the destination from there, and got to do it very quickly and accurately within a couple of seconds.

Uber app can launch its own nagivation app, Google Map or Waze.

I choose Waze, bcuz I find it the most accurate and most updated.

I tried Google Map a couple of times, and often get into trouble.

However Waze has a nasty problem. If it can't contact its routing server via the network, it'll be stuck in a loop and no navigation. It's usually fixed by moving away from that particular area.

They are also pushing ads in your face nowadays , but still tolerable at the moment.

When Waze get stuck, I have Garmin to fallback on.

• Praise 1

Next time take note of the exit before you enter tunnel, waze always show the exit on the map.

I have same problem with my garmin, and for a few years it is sitting there like an antique. [laugh]

With waze and Google, even using online maps with data. Same thing happens in the tunnel, they are just as lost.[laugh]

But waze will show the exit on the map, so even when it go to sleep in the tunnel I can still exit, because I don't follow blindly.

But waze and Google map for me anytime over a stand alone GPS. [thumbsup]

Edited by Tianmo

Thank you.

It's only a phone, and it's only charging a phone in the car, got so complicated? Cannot just use a USB cable to charge the phone?

A stand alone GPS can remove battery and direct link to car battery without modification?

I use waze and most times it can understand the 6 dig postal code I enter leh.

OK, I agree phones will heat up if connected to charging and running on maps for too long, but GPS same thing, my garmin also overheated a few times.

And I don't quite understand the "car can catch fire" part.

Anyway, it's your needs, so good luck hunting for one, I pass by only. [laugh][laugh][laugh]

• Praise 2

just sharing from my personal experience, i have been using my mobile phone with Google Map app for my GPS needs when driving, i must say that Google has improved the app features and GPS tracking since the earlier versions, such that it has become quite reliable for me. 

a) there is no need for any battery modification as i do not intend to leave my phone in the car permanently. in addition, my phone can be charged easily using USB charger to the cigarette lighter socket. 

b) personally i find that Google Maps gives more accurate real-time traffic info as compared to Waze (this is for usage in SG only, i believe Waze is still most preferred in MY). there is no issue in using Google Maps to search by postal code (unless like me, you have a friend who stays in some new housing estate which Google Maps do not even have the postal code yet). 

c) although i would not recommend this, i have put my phone on my dashboard holder for up to 5 hours continuously in the hot sun when i drive to and from KL. of course, as mentioned earlier, i do not leave my phone in the car permanently. 

d) better not try this haha... 

in MCE/KPE tunnel, my phone automatically switches to 3G/4G connection so that i do not miss my exits haha... 

i did consider getting a GPS device for my car, but so far my phone does the job for me. 

Here are some fun facts about Waze just to share:

1. It is actually using Google Map traffic and routing behind its friendly UI;
  2. It was built by an Israeli company and then acquired by Google for almost $1B; and
  3. It is very popular globally - I personally have seen my Uber drivers in Europe and US using it.

• Praise 1

Here are some fun facts about Waze just to share:

• It is actually using Google Map traffic and routing behind its friendly UI;
  • It was built by an Israeli company and then acquired by Google for almost $1B; and
  • It is very popular globally - I personally have seen my Uber drivers in Europe and US using it.
thanks for the info. nothing against Waze, just that i have not used it as often as Google Maps :)

thanks for the info. nothing against Waze, just that i have not used it as often as Google Maps :)

Me too. I sometimes find the auto-rerouting for most efficient route on Google a tad irritating though - especially when you already committed to one route.

I used Garmin for decades. Switched to Google Map since a few years ago, use it everywhere driving in different countries, except China simply because it's banned there - must use Baidu Map, identical copy-cat UI but honestly not as good.

To get Google Maps (or Google) to work in China, you need to run a VPN on the mobile phone.  Simple process but download a few VPN apps before going to China of course.

• Praise 1

To get Google Maps (or Google) to work in China, you need to run a VPN on the mobile phone. Simple process but download a few VPN apps before going to China of course.

ya, my colleagues uses VPN to connect to Whatsapp.

To get Google Maps (or Google) to work in China, you need to run a VPN on the mobile phone.  Simple process but download a few VPN apps before going to China of course.

All the free 1 die very fast especially on important occasion.

Very slow leh, ... but their local apps very fast when run there. 

Also, there are is something about exported maps in China, they are intentionally inaccurate. This was true even for Garmin devices bought outside of China in the old days. Don't believe next time you try, it will take you some few hundred metres away or so.

Google map is not properly updated as compared to local map.

Gao De has better UI.

For iphone, Apple map works.

↡ Advertisement