GPS Standalone

elmoguy

Great news that Android Oreo allows Home Screen to rotate to Landscape mode.

I've always used Nova launcher and it allows homescreen to rotate in settings.

If you have an android just for gps, you can also download an app to try to force everything to be landscape. You can search for force rotate in play store. Some of the apps work better on certain phones.

↡ Advertisement

(edited)

I've always used Nova launcher and it allows homescreen to rotate in settings.

If you have an android just for gps, you can also download an app to try to force everything to be landscape. You can search for force rotate in play store. Some of the apps work better on certain phones.

Actually, I used to have Nova Launcher.

There are few things that I don't like which I finally uninstall it.

a) Samsung Experience or TouchWiz is faster in my opinion.

b) I couldn't locate the notification setting in Nova Launcher when in Landscape mode. Ended up I turned it to Portrait mode to launch it.

c) When in Landscapde mode under Nova Launcher, battery display, time, etc. cannot be seen.

d) Widget is not so user friendly under Nova Launcher.

The only thing I love Nova Launcher is that you can set 5 x 5, 6 x 6, 7 x 7, etc....

Edited by elmoguy

Actually, I used to have Nova Launcher.

There are few things that I don't like which I finally uninstall it.

a) Samsung Experience or TouchWiz is faster in my opinion.

Can't comment on this as I very long didn't use Samsung.

b) I couldn't locate the notification setting in Nova Launcher when in Landscape mode. Ended up I turned it to Portrait mode to launch it.

What do you mean by notification setting?

c) When in Landscapde mode under Nova Launcher, battery display, time, etc. cannot be seen.

Never had that problem

d) Widget is not so user friendly under Nova Launcher.

What do you mean? You can overlap widgets and change it to any size, unlike most official launchers.

The only thing I love Nova Launcher is that you can set 5 x 5, 6 x 6, 7 x 7, etc....

I use Nova mainly because of the customisation; it allows me to use icon themes, change app names, and with google companion addon, I can swipe right to see google now page like google launcher.

Anyway recently there is a overhaul on the nova ui, maybe it fixed your past problems but I guess if the current launcher is perfect for you there is no reason to change it.

I use Nova mainly because of the customisation; it allows me to use icon themes, change app names, and with google companion addon, I can swipe right to see google now page like google launcher.

Anyway recently there is a overhaul on the nova ui, maybe it fixed your past problems but I guess if the current launcher is perfect for you there is no reason to change it.

Great thanks.  [thumbsup]

choose tomtom

it's the best

you will not regret tomtom

I used to have TOMTOM GPS back in 2000. Its performance is good.

Thereafter, I use Garmin as its map is easily available. TOM TOM interface is much nicer in my opinion.

I called many places doesn't not carry TOM TOM and Garmin latest model and I was told that Live Traffic is not available locally. I gave up.

I am happily using Google Map as my GPS on my spare phone. However, Google Map in Landscape mode is very poor implemented as compared to Garmin and TOM TOM. No choice but just have to use it in Portrait mode.

I use Google map as it provides very good traffic updates and is free.

Standalone GPS navigator takes up valuable space and power socket in the car and costs about $200, so I am no longer using it.

Quite a number of GPS navigator manufacturers have shifted away from making such standalone GPS navigators as demand is quite low now.

I use Google map as it provides very good traffic updates and is free.

Standalone GPS navigator takes up valuable space and power socket in the car and costs about $200, so I am no longer using it.

Quite a number of GPS navigator manufacturers have shifted away from making such standalone GPS navigators as demand is quite low now.

If only Google works with Garmin or TOMTOM for a standalone GPS, that will be great.

Google maps lack some great features that a standalone GPS has because, I guess it is free.

↡ Advertisement