Adding a 12V Socket in Car Boot Area

Kombahbao

Tried searching the forum and the discussions were very old (10 years back!)

Would want to add a 12V socket (or 2 sockets, depends on cost and complexity) at the car boot area - anyone done it before? Any recommendation on workshops that can do it nicely?

TIA!

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Been doing it for almost all my cars without one in the boot.

I get something like this and have it flush mounted.  Because the primary purpose is to use my wired car vacuum cleaner, one of two outlet is wired directly to the battery.  The other is wired to turn on/off with the engine.

TB20N0feFXXXXaQXXXXXXXXXXXX-2258915412.g

Here's the relevant search in TaoBao:  https://s.taobao.com/search?&q=点烟器+改装

Every installer will have no trouble installing it for you.  My regular installer is JK Audio in Sembawang.

• Praise 2

may i know how much does JK Audio charge for the labor fee for this installation? I am planning to install one behind too for my car.

How is their workmanship? Are wiring all conceal nicely? I understand the is a need to drill hold on the plastic panel?

I get something like this and have it flush mounted.  Because the primary purpose is to use my wired car vacuum cleaner, one of two outlet is wired directly to the battery.  The other is wired to turn on/off with the engine.

Every installer will have no trouble installing it for you.  My regular installer is JK Audio in Sembawang.

may i know how much does JK Audio charge for the labor fee for this installation? I am planning to install one behind too for my car.

How is their workmanship? Are wiring all conceal nicely? I understand the is a need to drill hold on the plastic panel?

I don't know his rate, as I usually have a few things to install.  What I can say is like all the reviews on JK -- reasonable pricing & good workmanship.

http://www.sgcarmart.com/directory/merchant_reviews.php?MID=10572

I've know him for over 8 years.  He's still the same highly experienced, hardworking, no-nonsense, one-man-show, who is still operating at the same location since I know him!

He's usually busy, so don't expect to just drop in and get things done right away, unless you're very lucky, but make a prior appointment, ok? 

Meet him once and you'll know he's a trustworthy nice guy.

I'll be terribly disappointed when he retires.

TB29_ikbXXXXXcRXXXXXXXXXXXX_!!105668917.

BTW, this is the one I last had.  It's a real cigarette lighter that I can use as a 12V power point too.  A non-cigarette lighter option costs less because it does not need to withstand the heat generated.

I've picked this because I can have it mounted on the supporting shelf of my hatch cover, simply with 2 screws instead of boring a whole. 

Oh to answer your question on exposed wiring....  If it's inevitable due to installation, JK will conceal the wiring with a black flexible trunking one; don't worry.

Edited by Bluemint

outstanding recommendation, i may need to install sockets in my car too.

does he install lights too? i would like to have some red or white light at the rear wheel arc to aim rearwards to aid in reversing in dark carparks - to wire up with the reverse lamp.

outstanding recommendation, i may need to install sockets in my car too.

does he install lights too? i would like to have some red or white light at the rear wheel arc to aim rearwards to aid in reversing in dark carparks - to wire up with the reverse lamp.

Of course he does.  

Sounds like a relatively simple wiring job to me, although I have never had wiring that went outside the car.  JK will advise you on potential water leakage and maybe rust corrosion on your car body panels.  

I should add JK does not carry much accessories in stock but car audio systems.  He install my Air Purifier from TaoBao.  Fantastic workmanship eh?   [bounce2]

Many thanks for this!!!

Will go check with JK

TB29_ikbXXXXXcRXXXXXXXXXXXX_!!105668917.

BTW, this is the one I last had.  It's a real cigarette lighter that I can use as a 12V power point too.  A non-cigarette lighter option costs less because it does not need to withstand the heat generated.

I've picked this because I can have it mounted on the supporting shelf of my hatch cover, simply with 2 screws instead of boring a whole. 

Oh to answer your question on exposed wiring....  If it's inevitable due to installation, JK will conceal the wiring with a black flexible trunking one; don't worry.

For those of you who don't know how to shop in TaoBao, you can get above in Lazada.sg too.

https://www.lazada.sg/catalog/?q=empire+12v+car

• Praise 1