Brake noise on big brake kit

coolbluepica

I recently installed a set of AP racing big brake kit. Right after installation, it produce a loud squealing noise during braking. This was resolved after adding brake shim and grease and chamfering the pads.

It has a groaning noise when car is in D gear trying to crawl forward while I depressed the brake pedal slightly to catering for creeping of the car. I noticed many auto gear cars have this noise but it didn’t have on my stock brakes.

Can any gurus advise please is it his normal and how to resolve it?

Thanks.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Like you said. Racing brakes. It’s the pad compound. Can tahan higher temps means more metal and harder compound. Inevitable to have more noise than stock

• Praise 3

Like you said. Racing brakes. It’s the pad compound. Can tahan higher temps means more metal and harder compound. Inevitable to have more noise than stock

Oh so it’s normal?

There is also a reason why Brakes on some performance cars are well researched, engineered, tested before they out it on their cars.  Not all brembos for eg are made the same.

I was also once a sucker for those aftermarket Brembo brakes, spending $10k on a set of 4.  While they do stop the car better, they were terrible in the noise screeching area.  The cross drilled ones are the worst, looks nice but all sorts of high n low end pitch coming from it. Using a better pad might help a bit but does not eliminate.  

Actually I find the best way to upgrade brakes, is to use the stuffs from the same manufacturer.  Say if you drive a BMW 320i with like maybe smallish 300mm front rotors for eg and you wanna upgrade it.  Then best is to take the larger rotors from say a BMW 340i n put in on. Or use performance brake system from BMW's line.  Thats the advice from my best hiadee workshop.  

Edited by Ahbengdriver
  • Praise 13

On my ex-car, it came with 6 pot Tarox brakes. Damn good feel and stopping BUT bladdy squeal EVERYTIME I stop the car and I drive with windows down all the time. And yes, I have that "groaning" sound too! When you release brake pedal slowly is it? 

So after a while, I beh tahan and changed to a Brembo 4 pot. No sound, but I a bit regret. Cos performance is drastically lower. Looking back, I would have lived with the sounds

But yeah, some brakes come with sound, free !  [laugh] So mechanically there is nothing wrong with your BBK

Edited by Othello
  • Praise 1

On my ex-car, it came with 6 pot Tarox brakes. Damn good feel and stopping BUT bladdy squeal EVERYTIME I stop the car and I drive with windows down all the time. And yes, I have that "groaning" sound too! When you release brake pedal slowly is it?

So after a while, I beh tahan and changed to a Brembo 4 pot. No sound, but I a bit regret. Cos performance is drastically lower. Looking back, I would have lived with the sounds

But yeah, some brakes come with sound, free ! [laugh] So mechanically there is nothing wrong with your BBK

Yes bro I got the groaning sound when release the brake pedal slowly. But seems less noise when it gets hot. The braking performance is superb except for the noise. I missed my quiet stock brakes. Wonder what causes the groaning noise.

But yeah, some brakes come with sound, free ! [laugh] So mechanically there is nothing wrong with your BBK

Actually your brake squeal can be solved by using brake pad shims and anti squeal grease on the backing of the pads. Did u tried that?

• Praise 1

Sometimes BBK needs bedding in on the pads and rotor . What I normally do is find a day , early morning , drive into Malaysia , using NSHW , drive up to 130-150 km/h , then brake very hard until 20-30 km/h , repeat this for like 10 times non stop . See if that helps .

Remember Hor , watch out for traffic and dun never do it in Singapore ....

Edited by Hubwee

Sometimes BBK needs bedding in on the pads and rotor . What I normally do is find a day , early morning , drive into Malaysia , using NSHW , drive up to 130-150 km/h , then brake very hard until 20-30 km/h , repeat this for like 10 times non stop . See if that helps .

Agreed with Hubwee - U can perform this process at 90-110km/h in Singapore too. Ensure is a straight road n not too sandy.

With a couple of repeated - it sound better BUT there is still some minor .................. sound

• Praise 2

My shop did hard braking from 80km a few times. Think not enough ?

Ok will try. Really helps? But scared after that my brake pads also botak liao lol. Just a joke.

My shop did hard braking from 80km a few times. Think not enough ?

Ok will try. Really helps? But scared after that my brake pads also botak liao lol. Just a joke.

Would think that any speed below 130-150 km/h does not really helps as it's like normal expressway speed in Singapore , hence I think any speed below that will be just normal braking ba....

Brake screech or squeal is due to vibration of pads and discs hitting a certain frequency.

Think Violin bow and strings.

Chamfering may help and using some other methods like anti squeal gel may help.

But ultimately it will come back.

The matrial composition of the pads and disc is the culprit.

Usually the racing pads need to be made with harder material and causes squealing.

Normal road cars which do not reach a certain speed, heat, situation faced by track machine has absolutely no need for such brake system. The result will be brake squeal.

Clearing the brake dust may also help for a while until it builds up after a few trips

The best way is to slowly bed your new brakes but modulating your braking over various speeds. It is quite a long process and may take a few hundred kms.

The biggest BBK, i used was a set of 8x4 AMG

In the end the squealing could only be rid when i flush out the dust after a few rides.

A bit bothersome but it worked .

Good luck, your best hope is that the pads bed in nicely and doesnt cause the bow and string effect.

• Praise 2

Brake screech or squeal is due to vibration of pads and discs hitting a certain frequency.

Think Violin bow and strings.

Chamfering may help and using some other methods like anti squeal gel may help.

But ultimately it will come back.

The matrial composition of the pads and disc is the culprit.

Usually the racing pads need to be made with harder material and causes squealing.

Normal road cars which do not reach a certain speed, heat, situation faced by track machine has absolutely no need for such brake system. The result will be brake squeal.

Clearing the brake dust may also help for a while until it builds up after a few trips

The best way is to slowly bed your new brakes but modulating your braking over various speeds. It is quite a long process and may take a few hundred kms.

The biggest BBK, i used was a set of 8x4 AMG

In the end the squealing could only be rid when i flush out the dust after a few rides.

A bit bothersome but it worked .

Good luck, your best hope is that the pads bed in nicely and doesnt cause the bow and string effect.

Thanks for the write up. But mine is the low pitch vibration , not the high pitch squeal.