Buying Manufactured 2016 car in 2017 Nov

Domh

Neutral Newbie

Would like to check what is the potential pitfall of buying a made in 2016 car in nov 2017. Would it affect my resale value in future.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Would like to check what is the potential pitfall of buying a made in 2016 car in nov 2017. Would it affect my resale value in future.

Yes will affect resale value

but not because it's 2016 not very likely people will even ask

But because not many people want to buy when it's new.

That's why it's unsold for a year.

Squeeze the dealer for a lower price.

If you sell to a dealer next time they will do the same to you and squeeze you then.

:)

• Praise 3

Neutral Newbie

So in pricipal should i be asking for discount up to a value of 1 yr depreciation or half?

its strange that the car is kept for one year before selling... did the dealer give any reason?

or as @jamesc said, not a common model?

Edited by kdash

So in pricipal should i be asking for discount up to a value of 1 yr depreciation or half?

try to squeeze a few k from the dealer. but will be tough as technically its still a brand new car in terms of usage.

I speak from experience.

I bought a car in 2007 that was made in 2006.

I scrapped it after 10 years so didn't affect resale value.

Registered date was Jan 22, 2007.

:D

• Praise 1

Hmmmm ... must be one of 'em slow-selling cars in SG Edited by merc280v6
  • Praise 1

I speak from experience.

I bought a car in 2007 that was made in DEC 2006.

I scrapped it after 10 years so didn't affect resale value.

Registered date was Jan 22, 2007.

correction  :grin:

• Praise 6

In this era of cars flying off the shelves faster than the ADs can get COEs for....and some car buyers waiting for up to a year to receive their cars.

To have a brand new car sitting in the warehouse for 1 whole year? Something must be be wrong with the car model.

A cold-door car. In Singapore where allotments are sold before cars are loaded onto the ship, or whilst they are sailing over, its not uncommon for ADs to bring in uncommitted cars because they needed to fulfill distributorship sales volumes. Kah Motor for example had a bunch of unsold Streams for more than a year because they had the unpopular brown interior trim, so stuck stock isn't confined to crappy brands. 

The lag time before registration, I don't think it affects resale value, you might want to be looking at other factors that affect resale value though, as the rest have suggested. 

• Praise 1

No reason from dealer. It's not a common model i suppose.

Hey Dom - guess I'll ask the golden question then: What car is this - if you don't mind sharing?

Thanks in advance.

Check which Month of 2016 the Car is Mfg.?[see the Tires the best]....If Jan or Feb,it is near to 2 Years,then,check the Paintwork for Respray & Rubber parts for cracks....near 2 Years under the Sun & Rain could Damage alot of Exterior Parts.

I bought a civic FD 1.6l in Aug 2010 n it was year of manufacture 2008 but they gave a substantial discount for it n was selling practically at cost. Sold it to direct buyer in 2015 with no significant difference but I think if I were to sell to dealer, they would have used the YOM as a reason to reduce the price.

The Civic 1.6l was not selling well in 2010 cos the price diff to the 1.8l was only about $7-8k I think n hence most buyers preferred the 1.8l n it was only after the drastic price cut that the 1.6l could be moved. Anyway in short, if u want to buy a previous year manufacture car, best to get a discount else no point getting it but u can’t ask for a year’s depreciation discount cos car is not registered yet so no depreciation in theory.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 6