Singapore Reckless Driver Part V

RadX

Just finish my full day of driving in bkk traffic. I'll have to say even though traffic Is sibeh jialat and takes me 1hr just to travel less than 20km. The drivers here are so much nicer and more patient than sg. (what's new right?) drivers here even tho roads are sibeh clogged up still give way and let you in when you signal, and throughout my drive, did not hear anyone horn at all, makes driving slightly less stressful even tho traffic is terroble. Dunno y sg drivers all so aggro one.

Edited by Mockngbrd
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Some of drivers are from various nationality.  Driving Singapore cars does not mean you are Singaporean.

People driving here is also used to smooth traffic.

Edited by Archon

Twincharged

Hmmmm, bike speeding? Anyway, problem is even if motorbike goes slow, chances are Merc will still bang him if the timing is right. 

And also, I don't think the bike is going fast. I estimate about 40km/h It may appear so cos everything else was stationary. To say that he deserved it is too much lah 

Personally, I feel its the Mercs fault but the biker could have avoided the accident also. The fact he is on a bike means he is higher up than cars and should be able to see whether there are any cars turning if he looked over to the other side. That is what I always do when I am on a bike and approaching a yellow box. If there are cars waiting to turn, I'll slow down even more so I can ebrake if I need to.

• Praise 4

I have the same opinion I expressed before:

The bike might be in the right but when flesh is wrapped around metal and hurtles down the street, its always good to be cautious.

• Praise 8

Personally, I feel its the Mercs fault but the biker could have avoided the accident also. The fact he is on a bike means he is higher up than cars and should be able to see whether there are any cars turning if he looked over to the other side. That is what I always do when I am on a bike and approaching a yellow box. If there are cars waiting to turn, I'll slow down even more so I can ebrake if I need to.

I have the same opinion I expressed before:

The bike might be in the right but when flesh is wrapped around metal and hurtles down the street, its always good to be cautious.

I concur with you guys.

Merc definitely wrong. But a season rider should anticipate when the R vehicle is stationary. He could have better protected himself.

• Praise 6

Both are wrong la. Such situation clearly requires additional caution when approaching. Merc gotta slowly turn and prepare to stop. Biker should have his sense highten up and prepare for cuckoos like the Merc.

Merc assumed no car, just turn. Biker assume right of way. Assumptions get you nowhere.

• Praise 2

u can see there's 2 lanes right?

cam car is on the right lane and stopped due to traffic ahead.

left lane is clear, u will stop together with the cam car?

hate to say but u something wrong ah?

I totally agree with you! To say that he deserved it is really uncalled for!

In this case, it was the Merc that rammed into the biker. The driver could have applied e-brake!

Edited by Fitvip
  • Praise 2

Drivers who cause harm: Sentencing framework set out

Even as a High Court judge set a new three-tier sentencing framework for those who cause grievous hurt due to negligence on the road, he questioned an appellant's use of an MP's letter to downplay her culpability.

According to the letter, Tang Ling Lee, whose appeal against a one-week jail term for colliding with a 27-year-old motorcyclist was eventually dismissed, had only "accidentally brushed a motorcyclist resulting in the motorcyclist sustaining some injuries".

But Justice See Kee Oon highlighted that this was not consistent with the statement of facts she had agreed to. The victim, Mr Vikaramen A. Elangovan, suffered multiple fractures requiring a dozen operations in two months, and was hospitalised for 69 days after he was hit by the car she had been driving.

"These statements are regrettably misleading if they correctly reflect what she had conveyed to the MP," said the judge in decision grounds issued last week.

Tang, 45, had been sentenced to one week in jail and banned from driving for two years last year after she admitted that on Sept 16, 2016, she had failed to keep a proper lookout while making a right turn at a junction in Ang Mo Kio.

Appealing against the jail term, her lawyer Adrian Tan Wen Cheng argued that a fine would have been sufficient. But Deputy Public Prosecutor Houston Johannus objected, pointing to Tang's high culpability and the "substantial harm" caused.

The judge noted that past cases show the same offence had resulted in a fine in some cases but jail in others. Saying it "would be useful to provide some guidance... which might help foster more consistency", he included in his judgment a three-tier punishment framework based on the degree of harm and culpability for cases in which a trial is claimed.

In the most serious of traffic accident cases, involving "greater harm and higher culpability", the presumptive sentencing range will be more than two weeks in prison. At the lowest end of "lesser harm and lower culpability", fines would be enough. For cases which fall in between, he prescribed one to two weeks in jail.

The judge also highlighted factors which increase culpability, such as "speeding, drink-driving, sleepy driving... driving while using a mobile phone... driving against the flow of traffic or off the road" as well as driving without a licence or while under disqualification.

Those behind the wheel should also take greater care when driving during rush hour, within a residential or school zone, or when driving a heavy vehicle.

Justice See found that Tang's case fell in the most serious band, which meant more than two weeks' jail.

While video footage from her car's camera showed she had not been speeding, she had not stopped at the junction at all and had swerved fairly abruptly, "barely seconds before the motorcyclist was about to cross the junction as well".

The judge decided that either her attention was diverted elsewhere or she had exercised appallingly poor judgment.

He dismissed her claim that she had mistaken the motorcycle's headlight for a street light.

Still, her guilty plea, remorse shown, clean record of 20 years and the fact that she stopped to help the victim, justified reducing the sentence to one week in prison, the judge added.

At the close of his written judgment, Justice See described her use of the MP's letter as "somewhat troubling" given that the statements within "sought to unfairly trivialise the accident and diminish the true extent of the victim's substantial injuries".

It was not stated in his judgment which MP sent the letter on Tang's behalf to the State Courts.

MPs write appeal letters to court only in 'urgent cases'

Dr Lam told The Sunday Times he had sent a letter of appeal to the Traffic Police last February on behalf of Tang, when she approached him at his Meet-the-People Session (MPS) to appeal for a reduction in charges.

"She shared with us the circumstances leading to the accident and that she was regretful and intended to plead guilty," he said.

On April 18 last year, Tang saw Dr Lam again at his MPS and said she would be charged in court on May 2.

well, at least now we know who the MP was ....  [:p]

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/mps-write-appeal-letters-to-court-only-in-urgent-cases

• Praise 7

well, at least now we know who the MP was .... [:p]

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/mps-write-appeal-letters-to-court-only-in-urgent-cases

This MP doctor got license one or not?

sustaining some injuries = multiple fractures requiring a dozen operations in two months, and was hospitalised for 69 days?

Is this the same MP who tried to convince his residents to live beside a columbarium?

• Praise 2

For me Merc assume that all traffic is clear, in this case, definitely in the wrong.

Biker should have practised some defensive riding..

All in all, lose lose to both, more loss to the rider..

If this was the real kaboom case, dunno sg reputation will sink to where.. really lapse in security to think kaboom comes in either a backpack, or car.. motorbikes or bikes or any vehicle can also do.. if this maniac decides to do a crash course in T2, scores will be injured or dead, like in the London n Melbourne car purposely crash into pedestrians case.. time to upsize the crash barriers at the airport entrances..

Actually the fact he is even alive now could be taken to show how fail security was. It is the textbook example of how a vehicle suicide bomb attack should be done.

But then.. if you are an NSF on poi patrol, would you dare open fire when the regulars don't or have no idea.

Even if wear mc hammer pants, put on Taliban turban, have wires and a bulky vest, shout aloha snack bar... Think also nothing will happen to take extreme measures immediately.

Btw..

Compare this to the Gurkha action at shangrila hotel. They opened fire and killed the bugger .. that's taking security seriously.

Edited by Playtime
  • Praise 1

well, at least now we know who the MP was .... [:p]

From this article I feel of all those MP names mentioned only tin pei Ling did the right thing. I feel MP should not write Letter to influence or interfere court decisions. Those who write letters to court is equal to saying I will do anything to want to win you and to win the vote. However cannot be so hungry to do until like this leh. It's not too right. Court decision is independent and mps have no right to interfere (tin pei Ling put in very nicely and in a correct manner).

• Praise 5

If he is from another party, what will happen?

Front page.

CNA special edition.

Law minister give Stern speech.

Vivian repeat his wayang.

Kbw again call hara Kiri.

Parliament have special session.

Lhl try to look prime ministerial and give speech about governance, drop a tear while saying how lky would never allow.

President look concerned and talk unity.

• Praise 14

Actually the fact he is even alive now could be taken to show how fail security was. It is the textbook example of how a vehicle suicide bomb attack should be done.

But then.. if you are an NSF on poi patrol, would you dare open fire when the regulars don't or have no idea.

Even if wear mc hammer pants, put on Taliban turban, have wires and a bulky vest, shout aloha snack bar... Think also nothing will happen to take extreme measures immediately.

Btw..

Compare this to the Gurkha action at shangrila hotel. They opened fire and killed the bugger .. that's taking security seriously.

just because one idiot businessman tried a short-cut in a van during a gas delivery and did the dumbest thing by smoking you need to pull in the Taliban and use western mockery of my Islamic faith......you are one piece of work!

Whst if i say i believe 4 in 1 white durian coffee is better than 3 in 1!

Edited by Eviilusion
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1
  • Dislike 2