Penang hit by worst flood in decades

Terrylmt

SOURCE: http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asiapacific/penang-flood-at-least-7-dead-as-authorities-issue-heavy-rain-9376756

Penang flood: At least 7 dead as authorities issue heavy rain warning, military mobilised

GEORGE TOWN: Seven people have been killed and over 3,000 evacuated after a storm triggered serious flooding Sunday (Nov 5) in Penang.

Northeast district police head Anuar Omar confirmed the deaths of Chew Eng Lean, 78, Amanullah Shabib Kalandir, 75, and Lau Guek Jee, 64 on Sunday afternoon. Another victim, 97-year-old Chong Sin Thon, was found in his home.

"The sixth victim identified as Tan Ah Peow, 45, was found by his neighbor at 2pm today while the seventh victim, also a man, was found by a member of the public at 2.40pm," Anuar said.

A Bangladeshi man was also killed while his friend was missing after a tree fell on their rented house in Kampung Perlis in Butterworth on Saturday night.

Meteorological Department has forecast that the rain is set to continue after it showed signs of easing on Sunday (Nov 5) afternoon.

In an update on Facebook, the department issued an "orange" alert warning, which indicates expected continuous rainfall with strong winds in the northern states of Kedah, Perlis and Penang.

Read more at http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asiapacific/penang-flood-at-least-7-dead-as-authorities-issue-heavy-rain-9376756

Anyone with plans to visit Penang in the coming weeks, please reconsider or take necessary precautions.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 6

SOURCE: http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asiapacific/penang-flood-at-least-7-dead-as-authorities-issue-heavy-rain-9376756

Penang flood: At least 7 dead as authorities issue heavy rain warning, military mobilised

GEORGE TOWN: Seven people have been killed and over 3,000 evacuated after a storm triggered serious flooding Sunday (Nov 5) in Penang.

Northeast district police head Anuar Omar confirmed the deaths of Chew Eng Lean, 78, Amanullah Shabib Kalandir, 75, and Lau Guek Jee, 64 on Sunday afternoon. Another victim, 97-year-old Chong Sin Thon, was found in his home.

"The sixth victim identified as Tan Ah Peow, 45, was found by his neighbor at 2pm today while the seventh victim, also a man, was found by a member of the public at 2.40pm," Anuar said.

A Bangladeshi man was also killed while his friend was missing after a tree fell on their rented house in Kampung Perlis in Butterworth on Saturday night.

Meteorological Department has forecast that the rain is set to continue after it showed signs of easing on Sunday (Nov 5) afternoon.

In an update on Facebook, the department issued an "orange" alert warning, which indicates expected continuous rainfall with strong winds in the northern states of Kedah, Perlis and Penang.

Read more at http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asiapacific/penang-flood-at-least-7-dead-as-authorities-issue-heavy-rain-9376756

Anyone with plans to visit Penang in the coming weeks, please reconsider or take necessary precautions.

Most victims are elderly.

The elderly are the most vulnerable when there is any accidents/disasters/major incidents. They are probably just used to some normal fixed routine that have been practised till 'auto mode' already, and will not have the capacity/capability to react to any extra-ordinary incidents like such natural disasters that require mammoth effort to overcome.

Even young and fit people with equipments and mobilised support (in the form of government intervention) could be ill-equipped to cope/react quickly, much less those helpless elderly.

RIP to them.

And i hope that Singapore is better prepared for any such extended heavy downpour that can result in floods. While we've been criticising the govt for all MRT fails, floods, etc., i'm glad that the flood situation has improved significantly over the past... 50 yr! (ok, this number just taken from the air, and has nothing to do with the person who made it famous  [laugh] )

I remember walking through flood water just below knee level from Bukit Timah Road to Lornie Road to catch a bus home, when I was in sec school. And a lot of the shops in Chinatown and other low-lying areas would have 'ponding' whenever there is high tide, which is quite often. Think the Marina Barrage finally put a stop to it?

• Praise 1

And i hope that Singapore is better prepared for any such extended heavy downpour that can result in floods. While we've been criticising the govt for all MRT fails, floods, etc., i'm glad that the flood situation has improved significantly over the past... 50 yr! (ok, this number just taken from the air, and has nothing to do with the person who made it famous  [laugh] )

I remember walking through flood water just below knee level from Bukit Timah Road to Lornie Road to catch a bus home, when I was in sec school. And a lot of the shops in Chinatown and other low-lying areas would have 'ponding' whenever there is high tide, which is quite often. Think the Marina Barrage finally put a stop to it?

improved a lot liao lah. I used to put shoes in my bag and walk with slippers and raincoat to go primary school. haha was a lot of fun then.

overhead photos look bad.

Lucky not school holidays yet or else sure lot of singaporeans stuck there

only those who are still having exam, the rest can leave for holiday liao, air ticket cheaper if leave before Nov [laugh]
  • Praise 1

Bought ticket and hotel to go Penang in dec first week

Like that how ah?

Just go la.

Still long time from now.

Unless you can cancel without penalty but I doubt it.

Just go la.

Sekali the entire November rain flood rain flood

Like that how ah?

Any more typhoon during that time? Just keep a lookout on the weather.

The floods that hit Penang and Vietnam are caused by typhoon damrey.

Or you can always T-loan a portable pump from smrt. Just have to make sure it's working. [laugh]

Edited by Watwheels

Any more typhoon during that time? Just keep a lookout on the weather.

The floods that hit Penang and Vietnam are caused by typhoon damrey.

Yeah man I think better keep a look out

Maybe I go there then kena stranded there

Like that how ah?

You can expect see muddy roads, muddy shop houses, muddy bus stops, .... etc .  :wacko:

Its takes at least 1 month for them to get back to normal but with raining season, I doubt 1 month is possible. [shakehead]

So can forget about Penang Laksa, Penang Bak Kut Teh and Penang Char Kuay Teow in Penang ... :secret-laugh:

• Praise 1

Just go la.

while it is still far away, IF the weather continuses to be fowl , call the foreign ministry in Singapore and ask for travel advisory.

IF travel advisory is caution, than you have a high chance of full refund. 

Just like Fukushima accident. Even if you travel to Tokyo, there were people getting full refunds.

only those who are still having exam, the rest can leave for holiday liao, air ticket cheaper if leave before Nov [laugh]

Wah... you are one of those who do this (last time) huh?  [sly]

Pri Sch still not yet hols hor. Sec Sch hols already except those doing O Levels, which start today.

the teachers and school dun like the students (and their parents are the main culprits) who gar gar pon'ten and go away while school is still on. Later kanna marked then  [sweatdrop]