AMA I'm an old man

Terrylmt

XMM here takes a different route - I coast till the egocentric idiot doesn't notice that I've stepped all over them. That's when I move in for the kill. If said idiot isn't worthy that is.

Sorry not sorry. Eat or be eaten.

Evil. Remind me not to hire you. Or maybe I will.

haha i similar age group with @chryst ma... so young enough to start a young man thread right? haha... need to gather more MCFers in the same age group... 

So you are also a Rat? Or Pig? Or Ox?

↡ Advertisement

Dunno leh. Most of the 90后 kids I've hired simply have a bo-chup, I-have-a-degree-and-I'm-fresh-from-the-textbook-so-I'm-better-than-you attitude.

Even the okay ones just don't have the right mentality to initiate problem solving and are usually waiting to be spoon fed.

Or maybe my interviewing filters suck.

after working with the young people in my team (fresh grads etc), all i can say is that young people nowadays have different mindset and thinking... sometimes dont understand why they think and do certain things... even though i am not much older than them... 

mai la... say already then people will know my age... haha... 

XMM here takes a different route - I coast till the egocentric idiot doesn't notice that I've stepped all over them. That's when I move in for the kill. If said idiot isn't worthy that is.

Sorry not sorry. Eat or be eaten.

waa scary sia... i'm glad we dont work together haha... 

Evil. Remind me not to hire you. Or maybe I will.

I can only work with a certain type of boss. We might not fit cos of my terrible See I told you so attitude. It's exhausting I've heard.

I can only work with a certain type of boss. We might not fit cos of my terrible See I told you so attitude. It's exhausting I've heard.

If you are looking for a coddling boss, sorry. Please apply elsewhere.

I look for individuals who are willing to work as a team and drive for the common goals and understand the big picture. If that means sucking it up and focusing on short-term directives to drive for long-term survivability, then it must be done. Do what I tell you to do because the trust has to be there that it is what needs to be done.

If you are willing to learn, I will do my best to help you with whatever limited knowledge i have. But if you can't be bothered, then don't expect me to be. I have no time to waste on attitudes like that.

That's how I function, and what I brief my new employees when I onboard them.

If you are looking for a coddling boss, sorry. Please apply elsewhere.

I look for individuals who are willing to work as a team and drive for the common goals and understand the big picture. If that means sucking it up and focusing on short-term directives to drive for long-term survivability, then it must be done. Do what I tell you to do because the trust has to be there that it is what needs to be done.

If you are willing to learn, I will do my best to help you with whatever limited knowledge i have. But if you can't be bothered, then don't expect me to be. I have no time to waste on attitudes like that.

That's how I function, and what I brief my new employees when I onboard them.

Coddling boss GTFO please. Leave me alone.

BUT.

"Do what I tell you to do" - big no no for me especially since I usually report to general management and they're not at all versed in the nitty gritty of what I do. I'll claw and fight to do things the "right" way but given enough unnecessary objections, that's when I start coasting and scheming. Or looking to move on. My time is money.

I do have a penchant for companies with unlockable potential even if I'm not too hot in their core industry.

Edit: Hey! Page 3!

Edited by chryst

Ccbccbcbccbccb cscbb, found old man for u to tiko.

Simi sai...

Coddling boss GTFO please. Leave me alone.

BUT.

"Do what I tell you to do" - big no no for me especially since I usually report to general management and they're not at all versed in the nitty gritty of what I do. I'll claw and fight to do things the "right" way but given enough unnecessary objections, that's when I start coasting and scheming. Or looking to move on. My time is money.

I do have a penchant for companies with unlockable potential even if I'm not too hot in their core industry.

Edit: Hey! Page 3!

You wait lor.

Edited by Terrylmt

its quite common, the older guys also dont quite understand how we think and work the last era. We always have different thoughts too. Our thoughts change as we grew and see more things, without us noticing. 

The world change, the way businesses are done changes, and so will the mindsets of the younger ones. 

Our successful forefathers will probably not survive if they were born one generation later,  likewise, the behavior of the new generation   is not something we can change now, it is the way it will go forward. We cannot use "NOW" to manage "FUTURE", rather we need to understand why is "FUTURE" behaving different from "NOW". 

We dont understand why the old man still fax when we can email, just as the young ones dont understand why we still dine out when we can get food on the phone deliver to our door step.  [laugh]  [laugh]  [laugh]

I respect the "old ways" but I simply cannot condone it when there's a mindset of "looking straight ahead" in what I do.

Self expose: I'm a marketer. It's hard to go directly to the end result when coercion is needed for my consumers to do what I want them to do.

Indeed. You are like the Pied Piper.

Therefore, the old ways usually aren't gonna work for the new "gimme now or I'll lose interest in 5 seconds" audience.

Therefore, the old ways usually aren't gonna work for the new "gimme now or I'll lose interest in 5 seconds" audience.

That's why clickbait is as successful as it is now.

its quite common, the older guys also dont quite understand how we think and work the last era. We always have different thoughts too. Our thoughts change as we grew and see more things, without us noticing. 

The world change, the way businesses are done changes, and so will the mindsets of the younger ones. 

Our successful forefathers will probably not survive if they were born one generation later,  likewise, the behavior of the new generation   is not something we can change now, it is the way it will go forward. We cannot use "NOW" to manage "FUTURE", rather we need to understand why is "FUTURE" behaving different from "NOW". 

We dont understand why the old man still fax when we can email, just as the young ones dont understand why we still dine out when we can get food on the phone deliver to our door step.  [laugh]  [laugh]  [laugh]

agreed. my big boss has told us before how he has to change his style of leadership over the years... nowadays the strawberry generation, cannot scold or shout at them any more... 

but some things dont change: hard work and desire to improve yourself. 

agreed. my big boss has told us before how he has to change his style of leadership over the years... nowadays the strawberry generation, cannot scold or shout at them any more... 

but some things dont change: hard work and desire to improve yourself. 

Assuming that he is making a positive impact on you, then he is a good boss to work for. But don't get too comfortable. Sometimes you need to know how much distance to keep.

That's why clickbait is as successful as it is now.

You are either an exceedingly well informed man in a similar industry to me or not as old as you claim to be.