A New Chapter - Skoda Singapore

Carbon82

Welcome to the club. Based on what I know, there are a total of 8 parallel imported Skoda running on our road and so far I have gathered these,

1 x Octavia VRS (2016)

1 x Octavia 1.6 TDI Estate (2016) - belong to @Lab4games

1 x Octavia 2.0 TDI (2017) - belong to you

1 x Fabia Estate 1.2 TSI (2017)

2 x Kodiaq 2.0 TDI (2017)

Enjoy your car and do post your user experience here, if you have some time. Thanks.

There is still a Superb Combi TDI 1.6M 3T, not the latest model.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Ueyx0j6.jpg

5 new models guys!!

Karoq is sure to come and the octavia VRS as well!

Karoq hopefully will sell with its extremely customisable space with removable rear seats!

Sadly all combi versions are left out :(

Edited by Lchong
  • Praise 2

How much are they asking for the vRs and the specs?

I imagine it to be high 120k if omv is the usual 25k base off the estimate of the superb at 30k?

wpldlIq.jpg

Specs for those curious

• Praise 1

How much are they asking for the vRs and the specs?

I imagine it to be high 120k if omv is the usual 25k base off the estimate of the superb at 30k?

138k. It's a bargain to me
  • Praise 1

Changing to the vrs ?

I very very much prefer the RS 245 in Combi  :wub:  :wub:

post-1137-0-00993200-1523396852_thumb.jpg
Edited by Othello
  • Praise 1

138k. It's a bargain to me

If it is 138k and comes as an manual estate version I would seriously consider!

The downside for me is still the fact that it isn't AWD and only FWD :(

Note: most of the reviews recommend 6 speed manual with the vRS 245

Edited by Lchong
  • Praise 1

First post.

Just want to thank you all esp carbon82 for the discussion on price/value proposition and internal costing.  Just booked a superb (i think I am the 3rd) and will be collecting it end June according to SE.

What swayed me was the bigger smile worn on my family members who were with me when I test drove Mazda 6 and Superb that day.

cheers

I think the premium is narrower if you compare Mazda (luxury, 2.5L) and Superb, power wise.  For me, I arrive at my decision based on:

- size, largest at this price point

- with all the tech stuff (kit?), car will be good for 10 years

- most importantly, my family is happy with it

Caveat - I am no car expert...my butt seldom itch, current ride is into the 10th year thats why I read up and stumbled into this forum.  [laugh]

Totally agreed with the ventilated front seats! Quite a treat. Not sure any other cars come with it at this price. 

I did placed a 10K refundable deposit for the basic trim as an expression of interest after a test drive.  I changed my mind at the Expo and the rest is history. haha.

Congrats on your purchase! [cool]  A good choice and I bet you will enjoy it in the years to come... [thumbsup]

So may I know how much you paid for the car eventually (I trust that you did some hard bargain though) and what are included in the deal? PM me if you don't feel comfortable revealing details openly.

I am rather surprise that you are comparing it to the Mazda 6 instead of VW Passat, since the latter has more things in common to the Superb, including a TC engine, which behave quite differently from the 2.5L N.A. unit found in the former. However, I can understand the feel of your family, as the space in the 2nd row is much like a limo (so much so that passenger can browse through newsapaper with arm wide open, just like a boss hahaha).

So you actually test drove the car (L&K trim) at Leng Kee first, place a deposit for the lower Ambition trim, then change your mind when you check it out again at the car expo? Because of better deal, or was it that you have more or less make up your mind and went to the show for a final nego?

Ueyx0j6.jpg

5 new models guys!!

Karoq is sure to come and the octavia VRS as well!

Karoq hopefully will sell with its extremely customisable space with removable rear seats!

Well, so my guess are right afterall. These few models and variant are what lacking in the local VW lineup, especially with the dismissal of Jetta. The Octavia vRS could be a dark horse (if priced correctly), since EVO and WRX are out of market currently, while the Golf R and Leon Cupra, beside being pricier, also lack a "backside", which some buyer would prefer.

Actually Karoq look quite similar to the Kodiaq, and would compete head on with Tiguan, so again, expect pricing to be softer than the later, which is not a bad news for Conti SUV lovers. With these model, I can imagine Skoda doing better than Seat after it 1st year. [bounce2]

• Praise 5

If it is 138k and comes as an manual estate version I would seriously consider!

The downside for me is still the fact that it isn't AWD and only FWD :(

Note: most of the reviews recommend 6 speed manual with the vRS 245

If the vRS245 Manual Combi comes, I will Q for it.

if not maybe go thru PI Bro Shining used...

No need to Q for manual if indeed brought in by agent.

A lot of people posted that they prefer manual but the take up rate is still very very small....

Buy rate not worth for agent to consider.

From what I know the vrs would be auto. PI lor for manual. Process not too bad and from experience, i do recommend him. Nice guy but he was worried i will run away after paying deposit lol. Usually customers are scared but here, he was scared haha. Combi vrs will be awesome!

I drove the 2012 superb and it was amazing. Leg space like ppl say was legendary. Spare parts too are reasonable if you find the right ws.

• Praise 3

I'm doing some read up. Looking at Octavia model. Anyone knows the price for servicing the car? Emailed the AD but no reply yet.

Is the effort of maintaining the car, servicing wise really more than a jap car?

One thing i noticed also, the car is slapped with +10k for band C1 rating... Would be easier to make decision if it's closer to 100k.. Haha

1st hand information. Don't ask me how I got it, else I would have to silence you... [laugh]

npl1sg.png

From the cost breakdown, Octavia & Spaback seems rather value for money (but do take note the VES surcharge of $10K only come into effect from July 2018, so if Sko can deliver the car before that, there should be a saving of $10K).

As for Superb and Kodiaq, I am rather disappointed with the high mark up (caused by low than expected OMV), and in this case, sincere buyer should bargain for at least $5 - $7K off (before financial and other rebates), which I believe is doable under current situation.

BTW, do take note that many dealers still have some open cat COE at ~$48K, so if they use that, basic car cost will be increase by another $10K, so do your sum.

I followed your advice to a T...right down to the sincere buyer part. [thumbsup]

• Praise 1

I'm doing some read up. Looking at Octavia model. Anyone knows the price for servicing the car? Emailed the AD but no reply yet.

Is the effort of maintaining the car, servicing wise really more than a jap car?

One thing i noticed also, the car is slapped with +10k for band C1 rating... Would be easier to make decision if it's closer to 100k.. Haha

The additional 10k most jap cars will get it also come july. So the pricing will even out

Totally agreed with the ventilated front seats! Quite a treat. Not sure any other cars come with it at this price. 

I did placed a 10K refundable deposit for the basic trim as an expression of interest after a test drive.  I changed my mind at the Expo and the rest is history. haha.

? ventilated front seats.

Thought kia k5 already have them last time. Not sure if sonata had them as well.

the skoda sg website is pretty crap. it has brochures in german.

might as well don't bother to put it up.

I think more info here then on their website. Also no prices on sgcm etc.

With these model, I can imagine Skoda doing better than Seat after it 1st year. [bounce2]

• Praise 1

From what I know the vrs would be auto. PI lor for manual. Process not too bad and from experience, i do recommend him. Nice guy but he was worried i will run away after paying deposit lol. Usually customers are scared but here, he was scared haha. Combi vrs will be awesome!

I drove the 2012 superb and it was amazing. Leg space like ppl say was legendary. Spare parts too are reasonable if you find the right ws.

Your 2012 Superb is the 2.0 TSI variant? Yes, agreed that spare parts are easy to get at a reasonable price (I get my headlight modules and brake pads from VAG, at a fraction of the cost quoted by VCS).

I am not sure of servicing cost for Octavia, but you may wish to use my Superb sevicing cost as a benchmark. General servicing (at every 15K Km) cost around $300+, while major servicing (60K, 120K, etc.) cost up to about $600+

In comparision, my previous Honda (a 2.0L Stream) cost me ~$300 and ~$500+ for minor and major servicing (at every 10K Km interval) in general. So if you were to compute servicing cost per 10K km, Skoda (and VW) is in fact cheaper than Honda.

About the VES surcharge, as I have shared in my earlier post (using spreadsheet for illustration), if you are ready to get the Octavia, check with the SE to see if they can register the car before 1st July 18, and you can save the $10K straight away (plus bargain for a little more).

I followed your advice to a T...right down to the sincere buyer part. [thumbsup]

Thanks fro appreciating my post (and data). I have been buying new cars using this method for the past 15 over years, and knowing the these cost figures does help me in bagging reasonable deals each time. Of course, sincerity counts too.

The additional 10k most jap cars will get it also come july. So the pricing will even out

You are absolutely right about this part. Let see the jump in pricing of Jap & Korea come May / June period.

the skoda sg website is pretty crap. it has brochures in german.

might as well don't bother to put it up.

I think more info here then on their website. Also no prices on sgcm etc.

Believe it or not, I never rely on Singapore AD website for info (except for spec), but mainly from Europe, particularly UK & Switzerland, as what we get here eventually would be very close to what sold in these 2 countries.

As for price list, our vehicle taxes and COE premium can swing the car price by >$10K anythime, so AD normally don't reveal it before the car reaches our shore, or ready for sales (after LTA clearance).

• Praise 5

Believe it or not, I never rely on Singapore AD website for info (except for spec), but mainly from Europe, particularly UK & Switzerland, as what we get here eventually would be very close to what sold in these 2 countries.

As for price list, our vehicle taxes and COE premium can swing the car price by >$10K anythime, so AD normally don't reveal it before the car reaches our shore, or ready for sales (after LTA clearance).

sorry. i'm bit blur about VES.

Do u get a rebate for it when u scrap the vehicle? Does it go back into the PARF value?

Your 2012 Superb is the 2.0 TSI variant? Yes, agreed that spare parts are easy to get at a reasonable price (I get my headlight modules and brake pads from VAG, at a fraction of the cost quoted by VCS).

I am not sure of servicing cost for Octavia, but you may wish to use my Superb sevicing cost as a benchmark. General servicing (at every 15K Km) cost around $300+, while major servicing (60K, 120K, etc.) cost up to about $600+

In comparision, my previous Honda (a 2.0L Stream) cost me ~$300 and ~$500+ for minor and major servicing (at every 10K Km interval) in general. So if you were to compute servicing cost per 10K km, Skoda (and VW) is in fact cheaper than Honda.

About the VES surcharge, as I have shared in my earlier post (using spreadsheet for illustration), if you are ready to get the Octavia, check with the SE to see if they can register the car before 1st July 18, and you can save the $10K straight away (plus bargain for a little more).

Thanks fro appreciating my post (and data). I have been buying new cars using this method for the past 15 over years, and knowing the these cost figures does help me in bagging reasonable deals each time. Of course, sincerity counts too.

You are absolutely right about this part. Let see the jump in pricing of Jap & Korea come May / June period.

Hi yes mine was the 2.0tsi. No disrespect to VAG or anyone but i always found them to be expensive (though cheaper then vw) and okok only. I found another ws and i stuck with them all the way. My servicing was $220 if i remember correctly on liqui moly- they always did a very detailed check for the normal servicing as well and prices were really reasonable. Helped solve some issues that i had without breaking the bank.

My current Octavia is being serviced at vw as i took up the option of having my warranty with them instead of what the PI offered me. So vw will honour Skodas International warranty of 2 years /100k km whichever comes first. Right now i pay 360 for each service. Expensive yea but gonna stick with them for the 2 years though i know able to go outside and do now given the recent announcement by the relevant body.

↡ Advertisement