A New Chapter - Skoda Singapore

Carbon82

I've rented the 2017 Skoda Octavia 2L TDI couple of months ago at Czech Rep. The car produced 150bhp, drive pretty solid. Ride quality is firm yet no harsh. Skoda's Octavia has long been a sensible choice, one picked by those that know plenty about cars, and recognise value for money when they see it. The new Octavia looks to build on this reputation, and offer even better value. Shifting away from the conservative and quietly stylish looks, the Skoda's latest model is more striking than before, and comes with improved kit thanks to a recent refresh across the family-sized hatchback models from the VW Group

that look seems like a copy of the e200 previous generation.

Still like the single piece headlamp.

Maybe I am too symmetrical for my own good.

octavia-overview-6reasons-background.jpg

Edited by Sdf4786k
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

that look seems like a copy of the e200 previous generation.

Still like the single piece headlamp.

Maybe I am too symmetrical for my own good.

octavia-overview-6reasons-background.jpg

To me, the preface lift looks like the front of Mercedes-Benz’s S class (previous generation) and the facelift looks like the front of the previous E class(as you have said)

They are lifting ideas literally from Mercedes-Benz’s designs!

I've rented the 2017 Skoda Octavia 2L TDI couple of months ago at Czech Rep. The car produced 150bhp, drive pretty solid. Ride quality is firm yet no harsh. Skoda's Octavia has long been a sensible choice, one picked by those that know plenty about cars, and recognise value for money when they see it. The new Octavia looks to build on this reputation, and offer even better value. Shifting away from the conservative and quietly stylish looks, the Skoda's latest model is more striking than before, and comes with improved kit thanks to a recent refresh across the family-sized hatchback models from the VW Group

Steady...manual on your right hand...

I've rented the 2017 Skoda Octavia 2L TDI couple of months ago at Czech Rep. The car produced 150bhp, drive pretty solid. Ride quality is firm yet no harsh. Skoda's Octavia has long been a sensible choice, one picked by those that know plenty about cars, and recognise value for money when they see it. The new Octavia looks to build on this reputation, and offer even better value. Shifting away from the conservative and quietly stylish looks, the Skoda's latest model is more striking than before, and comes with improved kit thanks to a recent refresh across the family-sized hatchback models from the VW Group

I have always thought of Octavia as the long wheel base version of the Mark 7 Golf. Hopefully VW Singapore do a good job to market Skoda here. It deserves a chance in our country.
  • Praise 1

Going to have a look at the Kodiaq next week with a friend who's interested, trying to psycho him to get it over a 2nd hand Q7..

The earlier one has been sold. Do they have another unit for sale?

Forgot to add, i'm based in Australia..

i heard in Australia, cars are purchase base on where the dealership is located and ease of getting a good mechanic.

Is it true?

i heard in Australia, cars are purchase base on where the dealership is located and ease of getting a good mechanic.

Is it true?

That's broadly the same for most big countries. USA, UK, Germany etc.

Wonder why sliver cab back out on using skoda as taxi if their reliability is not an issue

Speaking from 1st hand experience (I worked for the holding Co. years ago when the Superbs first hit the road).

Reliability WAS the issue.

In the hands of our legendary cabbies, the solid (as in feel, not reliability) compared to the Crowns (back then) cars all degraded fast.

The biggest reported issue was the transmission. Common faults were limp mode and being stuck in gear (2 or 3? cant remember).

And to compound the problem, the AD itself could not fix the problems fast enough.

e.g. A fault code appears, they replace the part the code seemingly called for and another code appears or fault continues.

Some of the cars stood for months in the AD workshop (and these were for corporate customer cars... imagine if you were a private owner).

The factory even sent an engineer down to Singapore to try to troubleshoot.

Bottom line, reliability was THE* issue.

*Caveat is that this was for that old (Passat B5 based) Superb and was in the hands of our 500km per day idle 1 hour with aircon on while rokok at kopitiam cabbies.

BTW, the unofficial taxi Speed record by a Taxi in Singapore is likely still held by a Skoda.

SMART (remember the Green ones?) had 5 (yes only 5) white Superbs with manual trans (silvercab all autos). Legend in the industry is that one of them hit 240+ indicated along the old ECP.

Edited by Ake109
  • Praise 7

I have always thought of Octavia as the long wheel base version of the Mark 7 Golf. Hopefully VW Singapore do a good job to market Skoda here. It deserves a chance in our country.

As long as they dont start to abandon the idea to develop the brand and become another SEAT where it has started to become yellow top taxis.

• Praise 1

Is it true?

Yup, you can shop around for the best price.. Then go back to your nearest dealer for servicing..

• Praise 2

Speaking from 1st hand experience (I worked for the holding Co. years ago when the Superbs first hit the road).

Reliability WAS the issue.

In the hands of our legendary cabbies, the solid (as in feel, not reliability) compared to the Crowns (back then) cars all degraded fast.

The biggest reported issue was the transmission. Common faults were limp mode and being stuck in gear (2 or 3? cant remember).

And to compound the problem, the AD itself could not fix the problems fast enough.

e.g. A fault code appears, they replace the part the code seemingly called for and another code appears or fault continues.

Some of the cars stood for months in the AD workshop (and these were for corporate customer cars... imagine if you were a private owner).

The factory even sent an engineer down to Singapore to try to troubleshoot.

Bottom line, reliability was THE* issue.

*Caveat is that this was for that old (Passat B5 based) Superb and was in the hands of our 500km per day idle 1 hour with aircon on while rokok at kopitiam cabbies.

BTW, the unofficial taxi Speed record by a Taxi in Singapore is likely still held by a Skoda.

SMART (remember the Green ones?) had 5 (yes only 5) white Superbs with manual trans (silvercab all autos). Legend in the industry is that one of them hit 240+ indicated along the old ECP.

In oversea, Eg UK , Skoda’s reliability ranking is one of the best reliable car. So it may not be true then? Edited by Lotr8445r
  • Praise 1

In oversea, Eg UK , Skoda’s reliability ranking is one of the best reliable car. So it may not be true then?

Reliability in terms of normal usage, not being abused like a taxi? 

I don't know, but there are skoda taxis in EU as well, maybe there are issues just that we don't hear of it..

Reliability in terms of normal usage, not being abused like a taxi? 

I don't know, but there are skoda taxis in EU as well, maybe there are issues just that we don't hear of it..

One big factor may be that at least in countries like Germany, the cabbies OWN the cabs and pay for their own maintenance.

If we had the same system here I bet my our average Taxi would be in much much much better condition and drivers much less hiong on the roads.

• Praise 1