Magnifying glass
  • Search this thread
  • Reply to this topic
83 replies to this topic | 167 praises

Posted 23 November 2017 - 09:14 AM

Soya
  • Soya
    2Fast2Furious
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Can count w one hand the number of times i used it. Anyone else think its a waste of time esp in SG start stop traffic?
Tianmo, Jamesc, Silver_blade and 1 Anonymous member praised this

Posted 23 November 2017 - 09:21 AM

Watwheels
  • Premium member
    Watwheels
    2Fast2Furious
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

I use it when going down the multi-storey carpark spiral ramp. Make sure it stays at "1" and not shift up.

On occasion traffic slow downs when I don't want any unnecessary up shifts.

1 Anonymous member praised this
The chosen one will bring balance to the Force...I mean Singapore. Even star wars do not reserve "the chosen one" to a sith lord or a jedi or a wookie.

Posted 23 November 2017 - 09:23 AM

Tianmo
  • Premium member
    Tianmo
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

After I start engine, the next thing I do is always switch off the stop/start function. Only use once on the day I collected my car. [laugh] [laugh] [laugh]
2 Anonymous members praised this
芸芸人海,罪孽深重,神佛不渡,唯我魔渡

with the spirit of the MCF tiko club..............We are................ TIKO RANGERS!!!

Posted 23 November 2017 - 09:26 AM

Beehive3783
  • Premium member
    Beehive3783
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

It's good fun when you want a spirited drive and no manual gearbox on hand.

I use it from time to time when I feel the mood. Completely different response compared to the auto mode.

My only worry is about gearbox damage in the long run, even though I change my ATF every 30k km.

Can count w one hand the number of times i used it. Anyone else think its a waste of time esp in SG start stop traffic?

Cheers
Ben

Posted 23 November 2017 - 10:13 AM

Soya
  • Soya
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

After I start engine, the next thing I do is always switch off the stop/start function. Only use once on the day I collected my car. [laugh] [laugh] [laugh]

Eh kotek....triptronic lah dei, not start stop.

But ya, that one oso sibei useless n everytime gotta remember to switch off

Posted 23 November 2017 - 10:32 AM

Davidtch
  • Premium member
    Davidtch
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

I used it to upshift to the highest gear when coasting towards traffic light.

Posted 23 November 2017 - 10:36 AM

Throttle2
  • Throttle2
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

I used it quite often when on my 911.
Its quite fun

On my GLC, i used it 3 times already.
Also responsive and fun. But SUV very different feel from sportscar, hahah.
Targetting to truly retire by 2028
Give away my CPF
Travel the world and smoke those Cubans!

Posted 23 November 2017 - 10:44 AM

Eyke
  • Premium member
    Eyke
    Turbocharged
    Author Image

think depends on car, if is sport(y) car that's responsive and nice to drive then may see some usage, but for others... there's just no point.

i used mine once, after collecting from dealer, just to check it works, and after that just to downshift to Gear 1 for engine braking for going down spiral when floor is wet.

Edited by Eyke, 23 November 2017 - 10:45 AM.

2 Anonymous members praised this

Posted 23 November 2017 - 11:19 AM

serenade
  • Premium member
    serenade
    5th Gear
    Author Image

I use mine all the time, on every drive. Down shift to accelerate faster from L2 of highway to L1 for overtake, then back to L2. Useful when I am on Eco mode instead of Sports mode. Eco mode downshift very slow even when press hard on accelerator. So I use tiptronic to downshift, then accelerate for faster pick-up. 

Very fun on Buona Vista 99 bends which is close to where I live. Shift down and up through the bends without having to take hand off steering wheel.  

Used most at steep car park down ramps so that I use brakes minimally and depend on engine braking. 

CarsAndMe and 2 Anonymous members praised this

Posted 23 November 2017 - 11:23 AM

Wt_know
  • Wt_know
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

i use it ALL the times when cheong NSHW (redline [sly]) and MSIA B-road especially overtaking lorries and trucks [thumbsup]

in spore ... i think once only after collect car ... just like the cruise function ... lol

in spore ... some kuku driver don't even turn on headlight at night can drive home liao

Edited by Wt_know, 23 November 2017 - 11:28 AM.

UncleAtas praised this

Posted 23 November 2017 - 11:24 AM

Hamburger
  • Premium member
    Hamburger
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

i use it when i approach the apex of the bend.

but i feel my 6dsg is a tad slow to the respond.

do to others what you want others to do to you......

Posted 23 November 2017 - 11:52 AM

Solar
  • Premium member
    Solar
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

i use it when i approach the apex of the bend.

In SG other than trying it out, only used say mount faber.
In MY, only Cameron and Genting Highlands

Didn't bother on straight and normal driving

i use it ALL the times when cheong NSHW (redline [sly]) and MSIA B-road especially overtaking lorries and trucks [thumbsup]
in spore ... i think once only after collect car ... just like the cruise function ... lol
in spore ... some kuku driver don't even turn on headlight at night can drive home liao

Another way is just to floor the pedal and press the button on the board, it'll automatically downshift to the lowest possible gear

Posted 23 November 2017 - 11:59 AM

Soya
  • Soya
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Even on my GTI, i juz floor n the DSG kickdown is almost instantaneous. Tink quicker than me flipping the paddles

Posted 23 November 2017 - 12:08 PM

StefanK
  • Premium member
    StefanK
    Turbocharged
    Author Image

used it all the time on my now gone (God bless it's soul) Impreza RS 2.0, changed brake pads only once in the 8 years I had it but made sure to change ATF every servicing.

Doesn't work as well on the XC90 though... less responsive or I'm used to having only 4 gears to play with...

Posted 23 November 2017 - 01:02 PM

DACH
  • DACH
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

I only used it once on the expressway. Not anymore coz scared damage gearbox. 😂
Dream car: Lamborghini Murcielago 6.2

Posted 23 November 2017 - 01:05 PM

Enye
  • Enye
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

ya agree...the 6dsg is really lazy in D mode and always a gear or 2 too high

S mode is too aggressive on the other hand

:wacko:

Posted 23 November 2017 - 03:08 PM

Vratenza
  • Premium member
    Vratenza
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

I use it to down shift whenever I enter a bend/sweeper fast with no or minimal number cars hogging the road. 

Also to downshift just before I half press the accelerator to do overtaking manouvres. (don't need to activate the auto kickdown algorithm).

Good thing is that there is no need to shift into any sports mode to use the paddle shifters. One you use the paddle shifters, the care auto goes into manual overide mode. After I am done with the antics, just long press the up-shift paddle to return the car to full auto mode if I choose not to wait for the timeout function to lapse.

So yeah, I use it on a daily basis.

#notmypresident

Posted 23 November 2017 - 03:28 PM

Steptronic
  • Steptronic
    Supercharged
    Author Image

I love playing with PDK Up and Down. Great invention, probably the best in the middle segment. Steptronic was so so...

Posted 23 November 2017 - 04:33 PM

Solar
  • Premium member
    Solar
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

I only used it once on the expressway. Not anymore coz scared damage gearbox. ð

The auto will still do the shifting bro. Won't make any diff la.

My other reason is too troublesome having to shift too many gears manually machiam like bicycle 🤣

Posted 23 November 2017 - 07:47 PM

Hamburger
  • Premium member
    Hamburger
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

ya agree...the 6dsg is really lazy in D mode and always a gear or 2 too high

S mode is too aggressive on the other hand

:wacko:

Good point there. Next time I would put it to non D mode upon reaching bend and see now it goes.
do to others what you want others to do to you......

Back to General Car Discussion  ·  Cars Top Reply to this topic
SgCarMart Quotz

Quick Reply

Tags: triptronic, gear, auto, does and 3 more...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users