Does anyone bother using tiptronic?

Soya

Mine is CVT gearbox with the gear lever shifting "6 speed". I tried to use it for 0 to cruising speed but somehow feel that leaving it on auto and just working on foot control is faster and smoother.

So what's the point of paddle shifts if the gearbox is CVT?
↡ Advertisement

Remember when CTV was launched, many people complained on the rubber band effect? Then manufacturers decide to have shifters to memick the shifting part where in fact it's still the pulley that do the work. So it's all marketing.

Most of the jap brands are now using cvt and alot of them also incorporate this "gear band" shift capability. Something to play with i assume. Honda, toyota, nissan, subaru, etc.

Turbocharged

not true lah...it reverts to auto and sometimes too soon

downshift with paddle to 3 on filtering lane....by the time reach your turn to join expressway traffic, it is already in D5

best is to switch gearstick to proper manual mode first

:wacko:  :mellow:

When I gave it a try, it refused to do anything to do any shifting of its own that wasn't engine preservation unless I held down the + paddle to cancel manual mode even without the stick in the manual pos

Used it to regulate speed down slope and when auto transmission refuse to down shift to accelerate.

Can count w one hand the number of times i used it. Anyone else think its a waste of time esp in SG start stop traffic?

Used paddle shift to downshift to 3rd before the steep curved slope from Sheares Bridge to Rochor exit last night.

No need to use brakes at all even round the curve as engine braking slowed car down to 60+ km/h and revs shot up to 3500 rpm. I was completely in control of car round the curve as I could throttle steer and control speed while rounding (RWD car). 

Once out of corner, use paddle shift to 4th, then 5th. Lovely feeling. 

Used paddle shift to downshift to 3rd before the steep curved slope from Sheares Bridge to Rochor exit last night.

No need to use brakes at all even round the curve as engine braking slowed car down to 60+ km/h and revs shot up to 3500 rpm. I was completely in control of car round the curve as I could throttle steer and control speed while rounding (RWD car).

Once out of corner, use paddle shift to 4th, then 5th. Lovely feeling.

Wow...

I learned something.

When I gave it a try, it refused to do anything to do any shifting of its own that wasn't engine preservation unless I held down the + paddle to cancel manual mode even without the stick in the manual pos

which car did you try?

depends on the frequency of your inputs.....if you press up or down often, it would take a much longer time to revert

but if you just downshift once and wait thinking to hold at the lower gear, it would revert much sooner than you would want it to as cited in my example

[:)]  

Turbocharged

which car did you try?

depends on the frequency of your inputs.....if you press up or down often, it would take a much longer time to revert

but if you just downshift once and wait thinking to hold at the lower gear, it would revert much sooner than you would want it to as cited in my example

[:)]  

Well... that Tiguan was the whack'd one, so maybe it was already 'trained'...  :grin:

Auto gearbox changes gear all the time. So changing gears is not something unaccustomed. 

Even if you want to change gear quickly, it all depends on how fast your paddle shifter send the electrical impulse to the Transmission Control Unit to process, how fast your TCU process the command and how fast the signal to down or up gear gets translated to physical gear change in the planetary gear change system.

If you send a signal to down gear while the gearbox is in midst of changing gear, the TCU will queue the signal until it is mechanically safe to do so. 

So short answer is no. 

Yes, I use my paddles often, everyday.

Why?

In my 7-speed car, when I depress the accelerator for more power or kickdown, the chain of events goes like this:

1) Accelerator pedal sends an email to the ECU requesting for more power.

2) ECU increases fueling to engine but still not enough to meet demand.

3) ECU sends an email to TCU requesting for downshift to lower gear.

4) TCU replies: "Are you sure? Kindly confirm".

5) ECU responds: "Yes, please".

6) TCU authorizes downshift, and the engine roars to life and delivers the needed power.

It takes all of 2-3 seconds. By then, an intended overtaking opportunity will have disappeared, or, if I am are merging into an expressway, a truck may have already run into my backside.

Using paddle shift perhaps sends the email directly to the TCU, and reduces the delay to maybe 1 second.  [:p]

Edited by Toeknee_33
  • Praise 2

ya agree...the 6dsg is really lazy in D mode and always a gear or 2 too high

S mode is too aggressive on the other hand

:wacko:

D mode is to maximise fuel consumption, that is why it shift up as fast as possible... and i agree S mode is really too aggressive never shift up before 3k rpm... 

but it is smoother then my current dct...

Why?

In my 7-speed car, when I depress the accelerator for more power or kickdown, the chain of events goes like this:

6) TCU authorizes downshift, and the engine roars to life and delivers the needed power.

It takes all of 2-3 seconds. By then, an intended overtaking opportunity will have disappeared, or, if I am are merging into an expressway, a truck may have already run into my backside.

Using paddle shift perhaps sends the email directly to the TCU, and reduces the delay to maybe 1 second.  [:p]

are yours TC? could it be the turbo lag?? 

Edited by Xers007

LOL....count your lucky stars......some car models communicate via fax internally ...... :D

Why?

3L NA, no turbo.

i see... must be the email got lost at times ...  [laugh]

LOL....count your lucky stars......some car models communicate via fax internally ...... :D

some use snail mail...  :TT_TT:

if it is turbo lag.....accelerator pedal kickdown downshift vs manual downshift will not have any meaningful difference in response.

It's all the information processing that makes for the difference.

D mode is to maximise fuel consumption, that is why it shift up as fast as possible... and i agree S mode is really too aggressive never shift up before 3k rpm... 

but it is smoother then my current dct...

are yours TC? could it be the turbo lag?? 

Why?

Maybe you need to train the ECU to react faster.

I used to use 2.2L NA 6 speed.  No such issue le.

↡ Advertisement