Brand new car. 1st service at 1000km. Can do it > 1k

Machoman13

Hi guys

Just bought a new car. Can i do 1st services at says ard 1600-1800km instead of 1000km. Advice needed blw

- no choice hv to drive up north. Back to Sin that time maybe hit between 1600 to 1800km liao

- ppl said now new car factory run in already. SE told me it is ok one

- anyone hv such real life example do 1st svs at ard 1600 to 1800km n now is engine runs ok or not? How many years drive

- cannot do svs at 1k in Msia. All warrranty void

-all advice needed abt this topic. Cos very worry

Thks in advance

↡ Advertisement

Hi guys

Just bought a new car. Can i do 1st services at says ard 1600-1800km instead of 1000km. Advice needed blw

- no choice hv to drive up north. Back to Sin that time maybe hit between 1600 to 1800km liao

- anyone hv such real life example do 1st svs at ard 1600 to 1800km n now is engine runs ok or not? How many years drive

Thks in advance

For Japanese Car,i advice to do at 1,000km,if you need to drive far,i advice at least change the Oil,most Japanese Car from Factory are filled with "Run in" Oil...

• Praise 1

Hi guys

Thks in advance

Can try la.. to be safe just get AAS membership..
  • Praise 2

The first 1000km may not be actual service like change oil and oil filter. Maybe just check everything is running as it should be. I know of some AD who told me no oil change at 1000km they just do diagnostic check, battery check, check for leaks.

IMO if unsure just call up and ask. Exceeding the 1000km is no big issue. Unless got unusual sound or got warning light on the dash. Just call up the servicing dept and ask.

Hi guys

Thks in advance

my jappie did close to 9k w/o engine oil change, now more than 130k already still running fine

Hi guys

Thks in advance

It's okay La, as the engine oil can last longer then 1k. So you exceed for few hundreds km its okay one.

• Praise 1

Maybe you would like to ask the dealer what kind of oil it is before you decide? If its mineral oil, then advisable to change before your head up north as you are probably gonna go high speed and high revs. Fully synthetic oils are better formulated for protection. If I was you, I would have changed the EO regardless to have a peace of mind.

• Praise 1

I understand from the Elantra thread that Komoco’s 1k servicing is just visual. No change of oil n some owners actually skipped it.

• Praise 4

There are 2 schools of thought for this. First is the "Metal Shavings" School, the second is the "Pointless" School.

The "Metal Shavings" School believes that when a new engine is first run in, tiny bits of metal are shaved off the engine parts and these metal bits should be removed at the 1000km servicing before it damages the engine. But engine manufacturing is more precise nowadays and some of the car brands do not carry out an oil change during the 1000km check.

The "Pointless" School believes that only some rudimentary checks are carried out so it is not worth the effort. Also the engine oil (whether mineral or synthetic) would still be in good condition as it is only 1000km.

Once I had an Italian internal combustion engine that I neglected to change the engine oil during the initial period and the engine totally seized after a few months. So I am more of the first school.

The decision is entirely yours. But if there is no oil change during the 1000km servicing for your particular car, I think it is ok for you to do it later. 

First oil change is important at 1k especially you are going up North and you will tend to go on high speed. Some car filled with synthetic oil then is ok but if your car is fill with normal oil will better to change it.

• Praise 2

If it's stated in the warranty booklet to change at 1k, juz do it. No point giving AD excuse to siam warranty claim later

↡ Advertisement