Rent or buy a car?

MotoristMel

22 members have voted

1. 1. Rent or Buy

• Rent
    • Buy

I think it’s more cost efficient to lease a Toyota Altis at  a mere $1050 a month ($35 a day).

Road  tax, insurance, maintenance and replacement of wear and tear parts are all covered.

The only set back is it’s an old car, probably renewed COE,  >10 yrs old.

If you want to cover cost, just apply for a PDVL and you can drive Grab/Uber for 1 to 2 hours daily to cover the $35 car rental cost. Hey Presto! You get to drive the car for FREE!

http://www.mycarforum.com/index.php?app=sgcarstore&req=showprod&product=119011

Edited by Vinceng
  • Praise 1

I think it’s more cost efficient to lease a Toyota Altis at  a mere $1050 a month ($35 a day).

Road  tax, insurance, maintenance and replacement of wear and tear parts are all covered.

If you want to cover cost, just apply for a PDVL and you can drive Grab/Uber for 1 to 2 hours daily to cover the $35 car rental cost. Hey Presto! You get to drive the car for FREE!

From the link, the rented altis confirmed an old car. But if it a rental car, should not worry if the car has problems or not, since it is all covered. Anyway, this generation altis quite good to drive.

At $1,100 it's a good price but not sure about reliability. But can't go wrong with a Toyota right? What car also more reliable than our world class MRT. Haha.

• Praise 3

Anyway back to TS's question... Firstly I would consider buying a car only if the company is really paying me a lot more than what I can get elsewhere to justify the cost of purchasing a car just for that two years. Are you local? After your two years contract is up at the Benoi place, what's next? Will you still be using the car?

How's the transport allowance like for the company? Maybe you can share more.

• Praise 2

Tampines - Benoi should be roughly $30 per trip, 2 trip a day and 20 working days a month, that will be $1200, excluding any surcharge. Better buy than U/G. 

what is the dep of a car these days? easily $10000 a year, each month round up to $850? 

Petrol, parking, insurance, road tax, basic maintenance, tire, battery, wear & tear parts, summons, ERP, sway sway accident need ownself repair, what else? How much here? 

Compare self drive and being drive?  

really better to buy? 

Anyway back to TS's question... Firstly I would consider buying a car only if the company is really paying me a lot more than what I can get elsewhere to justify the cost of purchasing a car just for that two years. Are you local? After your two years contract is up at the Benoi place, what's next? Will you still be using the car?

How's the transport allowance like for the company? Maybe you can share more.

Think TS MIA liao? Lol.

what is the dep of a car these days? easily $10000 a year, each month round up to $850? 

Budget cars at $5K annual dep are still available if you search digilently.

Some examples include Chery QQ, Geely CK/MK, Channa, Perodua Kenari/Kelisa (renewed COE)

This is the most bang for buck at a mere $5k  annual dep. Technically a Toyota under the bonnet.

Same engine shared by Toyota, Daihatsu and Perodua. Very spacious & economical

http://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=695019&DL=2391

Edited by Vinceng

Look around for hitch drivers

Sure got east to west hitch drivers one

Then work out a long term hitch arrangement

As for dinner, take Uber lor

Maybe busy choosing a second hand car already. :D

Probably bought his colleague car and quickly go renew coe :grin: