Rent or buy a car?

MotoristMel

22 members have voted

1. 1. Rent or Buy

• Rent
    • Buy

The traffic condition during morning and evening peak hour in Benoi is awesome. [thumbsup]

You will wish you work in Bedok.

Ppl always dun consider the running cost when buying/renting a car. From East to West and West to East you will be burning a lot of fuel but hardly moving. Yeah, by the time you reach home it will be your fav supper time.

Edited by Watwheels

Look around for hitch drivers

Sure got east to west hitch drivers one

Then work out a long term hitch arrangement

As for dinner, take Uber lor

Probably bought his colleague car and quickly go renew coe :grin:

Hitch quite a good ideal. Since hitch fare is not very expensive, if able to find a long term hitch driver, not a bad idea. 

The traffic condition during morning and evening peak hour in Benoi is awesome. [thumbsup]

You will wish you work in Bedok.

Ppl always dun consider the running cost when buying/renting a car. From East to West and West to East you will be burning a lot of fuel but hardly moving. Yeah, by the time you reach home it will be your fav supper time.

Think lots of people stay in east and work in west la, although traffic is heavy but if you leave your house early, traffic should not as jam as you think.  [:p]

• Praise 1

Rent a cheap car from LCR (Attrage or Mazda3, those $40+ kind). Do one destination trip on the way to work, and one more when going back, more than cover your rental cost already.

• Praise 1

Rent a cheap car from LCR (Attrage or Mazda3, those $40+ kind). Do one destination trip on the way to work, and one more when going back, more than cover your rental cost already.

$40 rental is AFTER incentive, which means you need to achieve 25 trips  a day.

Can you do that with a full time day job? Unless you work through the night after office hours.

This incentive has also led many drivers to speed on the road to achieve target - very dangerous!!

Edited by Vinceng

Hitch quite a good ideal. Since hitch fare is not very expensive, if able to find a long term hitch driver, not a bad idea. 

Think lots of people stay in east and work in west la, although traffic is heavy but if you leave your house early, traffic should not as jam as you think.  [:p]

LoL...how early is your "early"?

Anyway back to TS's question... Firstly I would consider buying a car only if the company is really paying me a lot more than what I can get elsewhere to justify the cost of purchasing a car just for that two years. Are you local? After your two years contract is up at the Benoi place, what's next? Will you still be using the car?

How's the transport allowance like for the company? Maybe you can share more.

Hmmmm… Yup I am local. And yes, everything about the job is alright, just tht the distance & transport is an issue right now… Normally I take the green line from Tamp to Joo Koon :a-m1524:   For now, I only need the car to travel but at the same time, if I were to rent/get my own car, Im thinking of the expenses like petrol, etc.

& What if the time taken to drive is about the same as taking public transport? I mean, to drive during the morning rush from one end to one end is not really ideal too. Dilemmaaaaaaaaaa :a-bang: 

• Praise 1

Hmmmm⦠Yup I am local. And yes, everything about the job is alright, just tht the distance & transport is an issue right now⦠Normally I take the green line from Tamp to Joo Koon :a-m1524: For now, I only need the car to travel but at the same time, if I were to rent/get my own car, Im thinking of the expenses like petrol, etc.

& What if the time taken to drive is about the same as taking public transport? I mean, to drive during the morning rush from one end to one end is not really ideal too. Dilemmaaaaaaaaaa :a-bang:

driving

pros - convenience

cons - cost, energy required to drive, time may not be saved, uncertainty of car usage after 2 years

public transport

pros - cheap, can rest during travel

cons - potential delay and breakdowns

I only need a car to travel to and fro from work (I live in Tampines & my workplace is at Benoi). My work is on a 2 years contract tho... And sometimes, I also go out at night for supper. In this case, is it more worth it to rent a car, or buy?

Wa why did you even accept the job in the first place, find new job la babe. Plus, its a contract job not worth it la. If perm may consider.

Neutral Newbie
Thinking about going from Singapore to Johor bahru by Taxi??

With the unpredictable traffic it is always a strain to drive from Singapore to Johor Bahru right? 

don't worry though we are here to help you. We Johor Transport is the best taxi service in Singapore,with exceptional customer service we are way ahead of competition.

No matter what type of vehicle you want we got you covered.

• Praise 1

Hmmmm… Yup I am local. And yes, everything about the job is alright, just tht the distance & transport is an issue right now… Normally I take the green line from Tamp to Joo Koon :a-m1524:   For now, I only need the car to travel but at the same time, if I were to rent/get my own car, Im thinking of the expenses like petrol, etc.

Car is definitely more expensive than train. It's just a matter of whether you value the convenience of time saved or not.

What's the parking situation at your workplace? Free? Must pay? Plenty of lots or must squeeze?

I doubt the car journey will be that long. The most one hour with congestion? MRT nowadays hard to predict also.

↡ Advertisement