Rent or buy a car?

MotoristMel

22 members have voted

1. 1. Rent or Buy

• Rent
    • Buy

Car is definitely more expensive than train. It's just a matter of whether you value the convenience of time saved or not.

What's the parking situation at your workplace? Free? Must pay? Plenty of lots or must squeeze?

I doubt the car journey will be that long. The most one hour with congestion? MRT nowadays hard to predict also.

The long hour to drive from east to west due to congestion, sometimes quite mentally stressful esp if you are tired and stress from work in the evening, and if you cannot get a good night sleep in the morning. Imagine you still need to endure the heavy/jam traffic along the road.

↡ Advertisement

even without breakdown ... this is the sardine can you need to go through everyday

if you stay near to these 10 stations .... uber better ... not i say one ... lol

http://goodyfeed.com/10-mrt-stations-crowded-peak-hours-youd-rather-uber/

The article above is written in Jun 2016! Wonder is there any changes to these stations? Anyway, among all i would say Jurong East is the worst station. Totally in chaos during the peak hours at the middle platform! Passengers taking train is like going to war!

Edited by 13177

The article above is written in Jun 2016! Wonder is there any changes to these stations? Anyway, among all i would say Jurong East is the worst station. Totally in chaos during the peak hours at the middle platform! Passengers taking train is like going to war!

you say leh ... Jun 16 till now MRT got major improvement? [sly]

Hitch east west is a risky business. Be prepared to stack "along the way". Unless can find a reliable regular driver, also don't guarantee he available everyday .

Rather u buy car n hitch ppl to offset some cost.

Edited by Club21z

The long hour to drive from east to west due to congestion, sometimes quite mentally stressful esp if you are tired and stress from work in the evening, and if you cannot get a good night sleep in the morning. Imagine you still need to endure the heavy/jam traffic along the road.

I think it’s not so much about saving time but rather driving allows you to have your own personal space. Taking public transport can be stressful for me. I don’t like squeezing and vying with others to get on the bus or mrt especially during peak hours. Having to then miss the bus, waiting for another one, trying to squeeze on one, having no personal space etc... this will be my main deciding factor. Because the drive from east to west isn’t short already, factor in congestion, accidents. So I would really say time saving isn’t going to play a big part here but how much do you treasure your personal space?

Having your own car to drive can be so comfortable. You head down and hop onto your car, turn on your favorite tunes, take a slow drive (congestion anyway) to work, arrive at work all clean and fresh still (compared to having squeeze in the mrt, probably even have to walk some distance to the mrt, bus stop) haha.

Edited by ChaosMyth
  • Praise 2

East to west is ok for driving, highway is surprisingly clear in the morning, likely due to ERP. Of course the occasional jam on PIE around Stevens to Adam road area.

driving

pros - convenience

cons - cost, energy required to drive, time may not be saved, uncertainty of car usage after 2 years

public transport

pros - cheap, can rest during travel

cons - potential delay and breakdowns

Add on: over crowdings, multiple transfers just to get to a place, inflexible system (breakdown means stuck with hundreds of people and hours to get out of the mess)

• Praise 1

I only need a car to travel to and fro from work (I live in Tampines & my workplace is at Benoi). My work is on a 2 years contract tho... And sometimes, I also go out at night for supper. In this case, is it more worth it to rent a car, or buy?

How much is your temporary 2 year job paying you? Do you have any commitments? Or you are just YOLO.

What would happen if you happen to get a job in town say 6 months later.

Edited by Ivan_06

How much is your temporary 2 year job paying you? Do you have any commitments? Or you are just YOLO.

What would happen if you happen to get a job in town say 6 months later.

TS already no sound.  [wave]

↡ Advertisement