MOE kindergartens primary schools priority phase 2a2

Kurumanbo

very poorly implemented by MOE, the effective date caught many parents off guard, going to be a lot of disgruntled parents 

and all this is to push the selfish MOE's agenda of getting people into their own Kindergarten, which the take up rate has been appalling from what I heard.

the right way of implementing this is to make the direct entry into Pri schools only effective for next year's intake of N1/N2 students, which will happen only in 3-5 years time

• Praise 3

very poorly implemented by MOE, the effective date caught many parents off guard, going to be a lot of disgruntled parents

and all this is to push the selfish MOE's agenda of getting people into their own Kindergarten, which the take up rate has been appalling from what I heard.

the right way of implementing this is to make the direct entry into Pri schools only effective for next year's intake of N1/N2 students, which will happen only in 3-5 years time

I don't think the take up rate is appalling. I think in fact it's probably quite good for working class parents. Many of these are in estates whereby many students will be going to schools nearby.
I don't see the issue except for sk green and oasis which are already in Punggol or Seng Kang.

Now MOE Kindergartens around popular "gooder" schools will need to ballot too?

kick-the-can.jpg?w=604

These aren't gooder schools. Eg pei tong in clementi (where I grew up) is definitely not popular since my time. Now the estate around it is aging with some new nearby 40 storey bto, they probably need to bolster the enrolment numbers or risk closing the school.

I don't think the take up rate is appalling. I think in fact it's probably quite good for working class parents. Many of these are in estates whereby many students will be going to schools nearby.

the take up rate at the current MOE kindergarten is around 30% of max capacity from what i heard from my colleagues

no doubt it is a good initiative, go nearby schools and location is stabilized. this is not the grudge

The bug bear is the timing and how immediate it is. there are parents who volunteered for many years before next june, hoping to get into a their desired school, and now all these years of hard work is jeopardized by this new ruling

luckily this is only at outskirts of the countr, but if MOE does this to the "popular/atas/reknown" primary schools, can you imagine the uproar? 

• Praise 1

In terms of tax dollars, I think it's very efficient. The schools that have excess capacity in terms of classrooms etc, aren't the most popular schools barring the Sengkang and Punggol estates. These have the space to house these moe kindergartens.

If u want parents to take these moe kindy in serious consideration, then 2a2 is probably the right phase rather than 2b

Now MOE Kindergartens around popular "gooder" schools will need to ballot too?

ya that was my concern too

if they were to do that, better ease the transition slowly, give parents time to react 

In terms of tax dollars, I think it's very efficient. The schools that have excess capacity in terms of classrooms etc, aren't the most popular schools barring the Sengkang and Punggol estates. These have the space to house these moe kindergartens.

If u want parents to take these moe kindy in serious consideration, then 2a2 is probably the right phase rather than 2b

i dont think saving tax dollars is the agenda or aim or this, neither is space saving

what MOE wants to achieve is the advantage that richer families have over average families, in terms of preshcool education

currently the fees disparity at good preschools versus normal pap preschools are getting larger and larger. 

and with the extra fees, the programs at the atas preschools are certainly and tangibly much better than the pap/govt preschools

it is becoming apparent that with more money, a child will surely get a better headstart in life

therefore the idea of affordable MOE kindergarten to curb the growth and escalation of pre-school fees

Edited by TangoElite
  • Praise 1

the take up rate at the current MOE kindergarten is around 30% of max capacity from what i heard from my colleagues

no doubt it is a good initiative, go nearby schools and location is stabilized. this is not the grudge

The bug bear is the timing and how immediate it is. there are parents who volunteered for many years before next june, hoping to get into a their desired school, and now all these years of hard work is jeopardized by this new ruling

luckily this is only at outskirts of the countr, but if MOE does this to the "popular/atas/reknown" primary schools, can you imagine the uproar?

Moe also not gong Tao lah. They obviously thought about it.

I work nearby a moe kindy, got a fair number of kids with the uniform leh. I also don't believe they can run at Max capacity

u know how hard it is to find pre school teachers of a good caliber. Even at my kids pte kindy, the churn rate is quite substantial. Most of them are 20- early 40s women, a lot of them are either going to further their education for the young ones, or starting families.

I work nearby a moe kindy, got a fair number of kids with the uniform leh. I also don't believe they can run at Max capacity

u know how hard it is to find pre school teachers of a good caliber. Even at my kids pte kindy, the churn rate is quite substantial. Most of them are 20- early 40s women, a lot of them are either going to further their education for the young ones, or starting families.

i dunno where your colleagues get the information from but my kid is going to an moe kindy next year which is located in a pri school and it is at max capacity looking to expand further

don't worry about the atas schools you are keen in, the separate elite school system would never be tainted by peasants at the policy making stage...much less the implementation stage

:D   

• Praise 3

ya that was my concern too

if they were to do that, better ease the transition slowly, give parents time to react

i dont think saving tax dollars is the agenda or aim or this, neither is space saving

what MOE wants to achieve is the advantage that richer families have over average families, in terms of preshcool education

currently fees at good preschools versus normal pap preschools are getting larger and larger.

and with the extra fees, the programs at the atas preschools are certainly and tangibly much better than the pap/govt preschools

it is becoming apparent that with more money, a child will surely get a better headstart in life

therefore the idea of affordable MOE kindergarten to curb the growth and escalation of pre-school fees

Primary aim is as you said.

Secondary aim is to put tax dollars to good use right. And also frankly solves a lot of problems with effects to location, rental, HR sharing in terms of like cleaners etc. Command and control also improve cos maybe the moe kindy head reports to the pri school principal. Haha all accountable.

i dunno where your colleagues get the information from but my kid is going to an moe kindy next year which is located in a pri school and it is at max capacity looking to expand further

don't worry about the atas schools you are keen in, the separate elite school system would never be tainted by peasants at the policy making stage...much less the implementation stage

I agree. It took many years for them to change the guaranteed 20 vacancies each for phase 2b and 2c. If so, the mp in charge of the estate will be sibei sian. His mps will be flooded with indignant parents Edited by Lala81

all the atas pre-school are running at max capacity, you will be hard pressed to find a slot for a kid who didn't book early or join from 18mths onwards

yeah, the good teachers eventually move to the atas pre-school to work. 

maybe my colleagues mistaken

Edited by TangoElite

Next time have to start balloting from nursery ......... failing which have to ballot just after get birth cert.

Rat race starting earlier and earlier.

• Praise 2

Next time have to start balloting from nursery ......... failing which have to ballot just after get birth cert.

Waiting list and waiting time is long for nursery. My 26 mth old girl has to go to an interim nursery just to wait for vacancy. It didn't help that my girl was born in 2015 (SG 50) where the baby boom was even larger than Dragon year boom.

• Praise 3

My maths can comprehend the new policy. MOE is an independent body safe guarding that equal opportunity is given to all kids in Singapore despite their background or wealth.

Is there any criteria or contribution that NTUC kiddy has or did that warrant such privilege? What about other kiddies that put their heart and soul into turning each kid in their centre the best they can be.

Unfair competition.

• Praise 1

My maths can comprehend the new policy. MOE is an independent body safe guarding that equal opportunity is given to all kids in Singapore despite their background or wealth.

Is there any criteria or contribution that NTUC kiddy has or did that warrant such privilege? What about other kiddies that put their heart and soul into turning each kid in their centre the best they can be.

Unfair competition.

MOE preschool is not NTUC and neither is the PAP foundation school. Don't mixed up.
  • Praise 2

Waiting list and waiting time is long for nursery. My 26 mth old girl has to go to an interim nursery just to wait for vacancy. It didn't help that my girl was born in 2015 (SG 50) where the baby boom was even larger than Dragon year boom.

Which area do you live in?

My girl is same age as yours.... I put a 50 dollar or was it 100$ deposit for her childcare but there was no need. Plenty of vacancies and plenty of competing schools where I live. Just within a 10 minute walk, there's about 10 childcares  :wacko:

Edited by Kusje

Totally agree on this. Regardless what are the pros and cons of this change, the govt effectively shifted the race line to K1 now. Though these aint popular primary school, there are still parents who work very hard to secure a spot for their kids and in the future, the kindergarten will be the start of the battleground. There was a case of this mother who said she actually gave up a spot earlier in the year at the MOE kindergarten so that she can send her kid to the kindergarten just below her flat. Then she went on to volunteer for the primary school so that they can squeeze into Phase 2B. Now, despite for what she has done, she actually lowered her kid's chance. And this is after repeated enquiry with the MOE kindergarten that they won't have any priviledges in the future. MOE should really make this effective only next next yr or something, instead of just 1 month away from year end.

MOE preschool is not NTUC and neither is the PAP foundation school. Don't mixed up.

Thank you very much. Got to give you 5 praises.
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1