MOE kindergartens primary schools priority phase 2a2

Kurumanbo

Waiting list and waiting time is long for nursery. My 26 mth old girl has to go to an interim nursery just to wait for vacancy. It didn't help that my girl was born in 2015 (SG 50) where the baby boom was even larger than Dragon year boom.

my girl also SG50 baby... managed to get into MFS right at my parents block... very blessed... my boy's place also booked
↡ Advertisement

Waiting list and waiting time is long for nursery. My 26 mth old girl has to go to an interim nursery just to wait for vacancy. It didn't help that my girl was born in 2015 (SG 50) where the baby boom was even larger than Dragon year boom.

My son is sg50 too. My wife says 2015 not that many babies compared to surrounding year. 2014 and 2016 has more babies. We did some research

Totally agree on this. Regardless what are the pros and cons of this change, the govt effectively shifted the race line to K1 now. Though these aint popular primary school, there are still parents who work very hard to secure a spot for their kids and in the future, the kindergarten will be the start of the battleground. There was a case of this mother who said she actually gave up a spot earlier in the year at the MOE kindergarten so that she can send her kid to the kindergarten just below her flat. Then she went on to volunteer for the primary school so that they can squeeze into Phase 2B. Now, despite for what she has done, she actually lowered her kid's chance. And this is after repeated enquiry with the MOE kindergarten that they won't have any priviledges in the future. MOE should really make this effective only next next yr or something, instead of just 1 month away from year end.

The faster they get it implemented the better right. Yeah sure it disrupt some parents plans. But there have always been curveballs that moe can throw. Like when u do pv, they mention that moe can change class size which affects the chances for balloting or 2b chances.

The faster they get it implemented the better right. Yeah sure it disrupt some parents plans. But there have always been curveballs that moe can throw. Like when u do pv, they mention that moe can change class size which affects the chances for balloting or 2b chances.

Guess there's never a gd time to implement such changes. Oh wellz... I'm just glad I ain't one of those affected (and hopefully never be in that position).

But still this changes a lot of dynamics, my wife and I visited a couple of childcare centres with different learning systems; the common system that is used by sparketots and mindchamp where classes are split according to age groups and the montesorri system where kids are not split according to age. We actually feel both systems are pretty gd and have a bit of dilemma on which one to choose. But with the new MOE policy now, I'm obviously more inclined to pick a childcare that may guarantees me a future place in a primary school instead of whatever teaching methods or systems that it implements.

So much for diversity and creativity. I suddenly have a better idea actually. We should just copy the NS enlistment system and start from 18 months old for all Singaporean babies. Once the child reaches 18th month, MOE can send a letter to the family where the baby will be posted to and subsequently the primary school, secondary... Save everyone the trouble!

Guess there's never a gd time to implement such changes. Oh wellz... I'm just glad I ain't one of those affected (and hopefully never be in that position).

But still this changes a lot of dynamics, my wife and I visited a couple of childcare centres with different learning systems; the common system that is used by sparketots and mindchamp where classes are split according to age groups and the montesorri system where kids are not split according to age. We actually feel both systems are pretty gd and have a bit of dilemma on which one to choose. But with the new MOE policy now, I'm obviously more inclined to pick a childcare that may guarantees me a future place in a primary school instead of whatever teaching methods or systems that it implements.

So much for diversity and creativity. I suddenly have a better idea actually. We should just copy the NS enlistment system and start from 18 months old for all Singaporean babies. Once the child reaches 18th month, MOE can send a letter to the family where the baby will be posted to and subsequently the primary school, secondary... Save everyone the trouble!

you can send your kid to one kindy in the morning, and another one in the afternoon.

My boss wife do that for their kids  [:p]

bro, not all parents may want or need to send their kids to childcare from 18 months onwards... some may be SAHM/F or have grandparents/helpers/relatives/nannies to help... 

you can send your kid to one kindy in the morning, and another one in the afternoon.

My boss wife do that for their kids [:p]

Wow first time heard of such arrangement, what's the rationale for this?

• Praise 1

she say at home, they just want to play ipad, so send to school lol  [laugh]

Assuming the kid is in a MOE kindergarten, he or she gets to enjoy the Phase 2A priviledge as well as premium education.

Wow... I never thought about tt, it is an idea. Not that I will be doing it though (financially not feasible for me too)

bro, not all parents may want or need to send their kids to childcare from 18 months onwards... some may be SAHM/F or have grandparents/helpers/relatives/nannies to help... 

Haha... understand that. Just trying to be cynical.

• Praise 1

It's getting common. Many preschools are full day childcare centers as well. The teachers usually teach in the morning and children are free to play in the afternoon. Some parents make use of the free time to let their kids do eca or learn other stuff. This will also free up their weekends and they can rest.

Or, those parents who have kids with special needs will go to special schools in the afternoon. Weekends they too will have more time for family bonding.

i dunno where your colleagues get the information from but my kid is going to an moe kindy next year which is located in a pri school and it is at max capacity looking to expand further

don't worry about the atas schools you are keen in, the separate elite school system would never be tainted by peasants at the policy making stage...much less the implementation stage

:D   

I think it has got to do with how our population is distributed. Punggol and Sengkang is packed with young families, kids and toddlers but there are some old estates which barely can fill up half a school.

Frankly, it doesn't take the brain of a scholar to see this happening if proper planning has been done 10 or 15 years ago. Many of our 'foresight' has now become 'rush at the last minute' problem.

Reminds me of the MRT leh....... :a-panic:

I think it has got to do with how our population is distributed. Punggol and Sengkang is packed with young families, kids and toddlers but there are some old estates which barely can fill up half a school.

Frankly, it doesn't take the brain of a scholar to see this happening if proper planning has been done 10 or 15 years ago. Many of our 'foresight' has now become 'rush at the last minute' problem.

Reminds me of the MRT leh....... :a-panic:

This problem is not hard to solve.... unlike of the mrt ... u don’t need to plan 10 years ahead

One wave after another.  [mad]

2 largest pre-school operators PAP Community Foundation and My First Skool raising fees in 2018

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/two-largest-pre-school-operators-increasing-fees-in-2018

Perhaps mega childcare centers need mega bucks.

Excerpts-

4 new mega childcare centres to open by mid-2018, bringing total to 9

Jan 18, 2017

SINGAPORE - Four more mega childcare centres run by anchor operators will open by mid-2018, bringing the total number of such centres to nine. Construction of the four centres will start this year."

NTUC's My First Skool will run one of the two centres in Punggol, and Bukit Panjang; PAP Community Foundation will run the other centre in Punggol; and Skool4Kidz will run the centre in Sengkang.

Source -    http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/four-more-mega-childcare-centres-to-open-by-mid-2018

Edited by Kklee

just some trivia for those who do not know as still do not need to know ….

we all should know that proximity priority for primary school admission is 1km …. then followed by 2 km.

and that SC has absolute priority over non-SC.

but did you know that the kid has to be residing in the same address for at least 30 months before the kid is considered for the proximity priority ?

just read this last night … meaning for the common person, you have to move to a preferred school location to qualify for the proximity priority at least 2.5 years before registration starts !

there goes my consideration for the sale of balance flats …

↡ Advertisement