• Search this thread
  • Reply to this topic
14 replies to this topic | 10 praises

Posted 29 November 2017 - 05:21 PM

Duomaxwell
  • Premium member
    Duomaxwell
    Clutched
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Hello all! Recently, we have a downtown line open near our house. And getting to work has been more convenient. Our car usage has dramatically reduced to weekends.
Can I ask the gurus out there, assuming if I change my COE car now to weekend plate, what do I stand to lose when I deregister the car in 10 years?

I am aware there is some benefits
1) $500 rebate on road tax
2) $1.1k rebate every 6 months

Thanks so much!

Posted 29 November 2017 - 05:31 PM

UncleAtas
  • Premium member
    UncleAtas
    6th Gear
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

ur car COE going to up lorry u think still can have 1.1k rebate?

Wait long long...

BanCoe praised this
Refer to signature guidelines

Posted 29 November 2017 - 05:34 PM

Mkl22
  • Mkl22
    Supercharged
    Author Image

useless to have a COE cars as a weekend plate. negligible savings

Posted 29 November 2017 - 06:04 PM

Cheesey74
  • Premium member
    Cheesey74
    5th Gear
    Author Image

Hello all! Recently, we have a downtown line open near our house. And getting to work has been more convenient. Our car usage has dramatically reduced to weekends.
Can I ask the gurus out there, assuming if I change my COE car now to weekend plate, what do I stand to lose when I deregister the car in 10 years?

Thanks so much!

I do not think u can convert a COE car to OPC.

BSS "From Each His Best"

Posted 29 November 2017 - 07:01 PM

DACH
  • DACH
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Depends how old it is.

Dream car: Lamborghini Murcielago 6.2

Posted 29 November 2017 - 07:07 PM

kdash
  • Premium member
    kdash
    Turbocharged
    Author Image

just leave it as it is, so as to maintain flexibility of using the car on non-OPC timings. 

Toyota Sienta (2016 - )

Posted 29 November 2017 - 07:16 PM

Leo72
  • Leo72
    5th Gear
    Author Image

Thanks so much!

You only get the $500 road tax rebate and cheaper insurance. Point 2 doesn't apply.

Tailgater and road hogger, please stay away from me. Queue cutter, please cut queue behind me.

Posted 29 November 2017 - 08:30 PM

ER-3682
  • Premium member
    ER-3682
    Turbocharged
    Author Image

In this case,scrap it,you still can get your PARF back & use it on Public Transport,Uber & Taxi,even cheaper than you own a Car.

Jman888 praised this

Fairlady.

Posted 29 November 2017 - 08:40 PM

Mustank
  • Mustank
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Weekend take Uber lor
Or weekend go rent a taxi or Uber car

Posted 29 November 2017 - 11:32 PM

Benarsenal
  • Benarsenal
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

I think can. But you won't get the rebate, so damn bo hua.

https://www.lta.gov....#benefitsofROCP

The most you save is on the road tax but COE car got road tax loading so also not very worth.

Posted 30 November 2017 - 11:13 AM

King_Kong
  • Premium member
    King_Kong
    2nd Gear
    Author Image

Thanks so much!

You don't lose anything when you de-register your car.

You only lose if you use your car during restricted hours.  $20 a day means that it is more than twice the cost of a normally registered car. 

The $2,200 savings a year compared to a normal car works out to about $8.80 per day.  This means that a normal car owner pays $8.80 each weekday. But if you decide to use the car on a weekday, you pay $20.  And if you use the car to the same level as a normal car, it's more expensive than a normal car!  Double standards.

Posted 30 November 2017 - 11:19 AM

2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

You don't lose anything when you de-register your car.

You only lose if you use your car during restricted hours.  $20 a day means that it is more than twice the cost of a normally registered car. 

The $2,200 savings a year compared to a normal car works out to about $8.80 per day.  This means that a normal car owner pays $8.80 each weekday. But if you decide to use the car on a weekday, you pay $20.  And if you use the car to the same level as a normal car, it's more expensive than a normal car!  Double standards.

Didnt know the average cost for a normal car is $8.80? So the $20 for opc to use during restricted hours consider expensive. Looks like even you seldom use your car on weekdays, better to buy a normal plate than opc, since saving like not a lot esp if you use it on and off during restricted hours?

Clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.
Life is very fragile. Nobody knows what's gonna happen next.

Posted 30 November 2017 - 11:29 AM

King_Kong
  • Premium member
    King_Kong
    2nd Gear
    Author Image

Didnt know the average cost for a normal car is $8.80? So the $20 for opc to use during restricted hours consider expensive. Looks like even you seldom use your car on weekdays, better to buy a normal plate than opc, since saving like not a lot esp if you use it on and off during restricted hours?

To clarify my numbers:

If you register an OPC right from the beginning, you get to pay $17000 less in COE/ARF, and about $500 cheaper per year in road tax. Not considering the cost of money, that works out to about $2,200 cheaper a year.

If you convert a normal car (where you have already paid the full COE/ARF) to OPC, you don't get the full refund of the pro-rated $17000, but instead get $1,100 per six months, or $2,200 per year.  Same road tax benefits of $500 per year.  So the total savings compared to normal car is about $2,700 a year, but remember that the $17,000 you paid up front is locked in and released at $1,100 every six months.

My $8.80 per day is based on the first scenario.  If you use the second scenario to compare, it is $10.80 per day.  Either way it should be about the same if you take into account the time cost of money.

So it is way more expensive to use an OPC than a normal car for the same road space at the same time. There is no good reason for this other than the government discouraging OPCs so as not to lose too much tax revenue.

If the government is true to the belief of wanting less cars on the roads, OPC is the best option. Every time an OPC owner want to use his car, he has to make an explicit decision on whether public transport is cheaper. A normal car owner will just use the car as it has already been paid, and at a much cheaper rate.

Posted 30 November 2017 - 01:44 PM

YEN96
  • YEN96
    5th Gear
    Author Image

You only get the $500 road tax rebate and cheaper insurance. Point 2 doesn't apply.

Yup! I think this is correct. Hardly see COE car on red plate unless really seldom drive.

Usually people convert red plate to normal plate then renew COE. Not other way round unless with justification of super low usage.

Because it just don't make sense to pay more and use less!! :)

useless to have a COE cars as a weekend plate. negligible savings

Agree, basically Pay more and use less, don't make sense!!

Posted 01 December 2017 - 09:04 AM

Galantspeedz
  • Premium member
    Galantspeedz
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

To clarify my numbers:

So it is way more expensive to use an OPC than a normal car for the same road space at the same time. There is no good reason for this other than the government discouraging OPCs so as not to lose too much tax revenue.

disagree... it is just like season parking vs hourly parking..... you can't drive/park ad hoc and hope you enjoy same rate as season parking/normal car..... if not, who will buy season parking/normal car

MCF PS3 Gang
MCF Hamsup Tiko Ranger

Back to General Car Discussion  ·  Cars Top Reply to this topic
SgCarMart Quotz

Quick Reply

Tags: coe; weekend; rebate, weekend and 1 more...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users