Rotation of tyres

Extremme

Hi guys , how often do you rotate your tyres? I was told ideally every 10k?

It depends on your usage pattern.

Ideally should look at the wear of the threads especially for the front, one side wears out faster than the other.

For mine,  ideally for the front is about 8k.

Usually the front wear much faster, so I change per pair and put the new ones behind. 

rotation is usually every 10k , and don't forget to re balance the 4 wheels before switching them and also your Spare tire if you have.

Rotation sound like simple job to some peoples, but to me it can be done in simple or more professional way depending whats your expectation .

1 ; switch them without any balancing

2 : switch them with just front 2 balancing

3:  switch them with all 4 balancing

4 : = 3 but the process is more works and time

what is  the more works and time?

step  1 the service provider will remove all 4 wheels from your car , lubricate the nuts / bolts if necessary also your hub center. 

step 2 clean and wash all wheels before putting  on Machine to spin and re-confirm any out of balance.

step 3 re check all tire pressure.

step 4 dry and wax/ polish your tires

step 5 remount the wheels back to your car manually

step 6 Fasten all wheels manually by Hand to prevent any over tightened the nuts / bolts

step 7 which most WS overlooked is Checking your spare wheel tire pressure if you have one.

step 8 update you when is your next rotation.

step 9 Say thankyou whether you need to pay or free service 

step 10  see you next time

Supercharged

rotation is usually every 10k , and don't forget to re balance the 4 wheels before switching them and also your Spare tire if you have.

Rotation sound like simple job to some peoples, but to me it can be done in simple or more professional way depending whats your expectation .

3: switch them with all 4 balancing

what is the more works and time?

step 1 the service provider will remove all 4 wheels from your car , lubricate the nuts / bolts if necessary also your hub center.

step 2 clean and wash all wheels before putting on Machine to spin and re-confirm any out of balance.

step 4 dry and wax/ polish your tires

step 6 Fasten all wheels manually by Hand to prevent any over tightened the nuts / bolts

step 7 which most WS overlooked is Checking your spare wheel tire pressure if you have one.

step 10 see you next time

does the workshop use a torque wrench to tighten the wheel nuts/bolts?

Pang, I am sure that is  tire WS use torque wrench , but very little.

first of all , one must understand why the need of Torque wrench and advantages ?

any sharing here ?

TIA

My 10k though I think 9 k is better. I prefer those that use hand tools to tighten rather than the impact.

I can then check with torque wrench when I am free but there are 5 nuts, don’t think so easy to loosen.

I don’t use the spare wheel cos mine is Ugly.

I just remember to TOP up air for the spare

Edited by nazerath

3:  switch them with all 4 balancing

what is  the more works and time?

step  1 the service provider will remove all 4 wheels from your car , lubricate the nuts / bolts if necessary also your hub center. 

step 2 clean and wash all wheels before putting  on Machine to spin and re-confirm any out of balance.

step 4 dry and wax/ polish your tires

step 10  see you next time

Can you share if base on all the steps you mention how much will the shop charge?

Hardly come across tyre shops using torques wrenches, customers should thanks their lucky star if they happen to visit shops that use wheel torsion sockets ( much cheaper to invest than a professional torques wrench )

post-272-0-54937700-1512529403_thumb.jpg

Edited by Yeobh
  • Praise 1

Supercharged

Hardly come across tyre shops using torques wrenches, customers should thanks their lucky star if they happen to visit shops that use wheel torsion sockets ( much cheaper to invest than a professional torques wrench )

torque wrench i've only seen in workshops, these are something new all together.

thanks, learnt about something new!

Pang, I am sure that is  tire WS use torque wrench , but very little.

first of all , one must understand why the need of Torque wrench and advantages ?

any sharing here ?

TIA

http://www.crashforensics.com/wheelandhubfailures.cfm

"Crashes caused by wheels coming off of vehicles are commonly referred to as wheel runoff crashes. Two primary failures cause wheel runoff crashes. One is a failure of the wheel mounting system, such as the wheel studs, lug nuts, etc. The other cause is a failure of the hub and wheel bearing assembly.

Wheel system failures are primarily caused by the improper installation of a wheel that causes it to be loose or become loose. Commonly, a loose wheel causes the wheels studs to break and the wheel and tire to separate from the vehicle. Many root causes lead to loose wheels, but most of them are associated with over-torquing or under-torquing the lug nuts.

Over-torquing is likely the most common wheel system failure due to the widespread use of impact wrenches to install wheels. Using an impact wrench to install wheels commonly causes the wheels to have 3 to 5 times the specified lug nut torque. 

Under-torquing is just simply not tightening the wheel lug nuts enough, causing the wheel to be loose. Under-torquing can be caused by corroded and damaged wheel system components. It can also be caused by using a cheap or worn-out impact wrench or by having a low air-pressure supply to an impact wrench."

↡ Advertisement