• Search this thread
  • Reply to this topic
28 replies to this topic | 118 praises

Posted 30 November 2017 - 12:05 PM

chryst
  • Premium member
    chryst
    6th Gear
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

anova-precision-cooker-sous-vide-wifi.jp

Bought the Anova precision cooker during Black Friday for lazy woman steaks. Was only USD$99 + $20+ shipping, arrived over the weekend. Ordered from their American site but it was shipped from Hong Kong though. It has a Singapore compatible plug. Faster ran to Foodie Market at Katong to buy me some meat!

1.5inch ribeye (sorry didn't notice pic blur when I took it)

15380711_10155042634417448_6870831649787026906_n.jpg

3/4 inch A4 wagyu

15380399_10155042634432448_5996338940875876055_n.jpg

Started with the ribeye first. A sea salt and fresh ground pepper rub.

17554277_10155437514367448_7693260591631

Let it sit for awhile and added rosemary and thyme.

17553708_10155437514362448_7168679138737

Into the bag (provided with the machine) with a clove of garlic.

17554130_10155437514352448_5412057243349

Throw into the pot and just wait!

17554271_10155437514372448_4816324294434

Bonus pic: "Mama, you cooking? Will I get some? I am a good boy!"

19430143_10156284013277738_7473723277566

2 hours later.... success!

17499121_10155437514552448_230805256283217629755_10155437514547448_2489058063574

Tianmo, BabyBlade, Lala81, therock, SuPerBoRed, Beregond, Jamesc and 2 other members praised this

Posted 30 November 2017 - 12:53 PM

Ysc3
  • Premium member
    Ysc3
    Supercharged
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

in the "Throw into the pot and just wait!" part ... what's inside the pot ? water or oil or air ?

Tohto praised this

Posted 30 November 2017 - 12:59 PM

Lala81
  • Lala81
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

in the "Throw into the pot and just wait!" part ... what's inside the pot ? water or oil or air ?

it's using a water bath usually about 60+ degree to slow cook the food. controlled by the Anova.

Angus steakhouse at taka uses sous vide then just searing the sides to give it flavour.

It gives u a very juicy steak but purists still prefer the traditional methods

Posted 30 November 2017 - 01:10 PM

SuPerBoRed
  • Premium member
    SuPerBoRed
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

it's using a water bath usually about 60+ degree to slow cook the food. controlled by the Anova.

Angus steakhouse at taka uses sous vide then just searing the sides to give it flavour.

yup... sear then oven for me....  

sous vide beef cubes good... but large pieces tend to make the whole piece too soft for my personal liking 

Edited by SuPerBoRed, 30 November 2017 - 01:10 PM.

Respect is earned.. does not come with your god damn title..

Posted 30 November 2017 - 01:10 PM

Jman888
  • Jman888
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

slow cook in water in low temperature for one day one night [laugh]
骑白马的不一定是王子,可能是唐僧;带翅膀的也不一定是天使,有时候是鸟人。

Posted 30 November 2017 - 01:15 PM

Lala81
  • Lala81
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

yup... sear then oven for me....  

sous vide beef cubes good... but large pieces tend to make the whole piece too soft for my personal liking 

you got cast iron skillet?

my oven is the smaller type, so can't fit a large skillet. So i never use this method.

Posted 30 November 2017 - 01:21 PM

Ysc3
  • Premium member
    Ysc3
    Supercharged
    Author Image

so I would assume that TS had water-cooked the steak then seared it for the burnt color look ?

for me I buy the frozen 500gm steaks from NTUC (about 4 slices). After its thawed, I will just heat up a huge stone wok on the stove and throw a slice into the wok and let it sit for 1 min then flip and sit for another min and then flip one more time for one more min.

I call mine the 3 min steak !! and top if off with black pepper sauce. its more on the med-done side. just good enough for breakfast !

Edited by Ysc3, 30 November 2017 - 01:21 PM.

pi3142 praised this

Posted 30 November 2017 - 01:39 PM

StefanK
  • Premium member
    StefanK
    Turbocharged
    Author Image

Sous Vide I think mostly used by a lot of restaurants or F&B outlets selling steaks. Easy to cook to 'perfection' and saves man power, cos just throw bags of pre packed beef into the sous vide pot then quick grill before serving.

Personally, I still prefer the Julia Child's way of cooking beef. Huge slab of butter, 1 minute on each side. Then use the beef sauce mixed with red wine as dressing.

If you're going to get an Anova just to cook beef then I think you'll be better off going Jack's Place or Aston's for a budget steak. :secret-laugh:

Posted 30 November 2017 - 02:04 PM

DACH
  • DACH
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

so I would assume that TS had water-cooked the steak then seared it for the burnt color look ?

for me I buy the frozen 500gm steaks from NTUC (about 4 slices). After its thawed, I will just heat up a huge stone wok on the stove and throw a slice into the wok and let it sit for 1 min then flip and sit for another min and then flip one more time for one more min.

I call mine the 3 min steak !! and top if off with black pepper sauce. its more on the med-done side. just good enough for breakfast !

Same here. Traditionalist.
But I cook for 2 mins for each side and flip 2 times, at medium heat.
Dream car: Lamborghini Murcielago 6.2

Posted 30 November 2017 - 02:14 PM

Ysc3
  • Premium member
    Ysc3
    Supercharged
    Author Image

Same here. Traditionalist.
But I cook for 2 mins for each side and flip 2 times, at medium heat.

I use something like this. just heat it up until smoke appears and just throw the piece of meat in the center and cover it up.

445724452.g_400-w_g.jpg

Posted 30 November 2017 - 02:29 PM

chryst
  • Premium member
    chryst
    6th Gear
    Author Image

so I would assume that TS had water-cooked the steak then seared it for the burnt color look ?

for me I buy the frozen 500gm steaks from NTUC (about 4 slices). After its thawed, I will just heat up a huge stone wok on the stove and throw a slice into the wok and let it sit for 1 min then flip and sit for another min and then flip one more time for one more min.

I call mine the 3 min steak !! and top if off with black pepper sauce. its more on the med-done side. just good enough for breakfast !

yes its water. and no i didn't sear the meat at all. it really came out with this burnt look.

edit: i see what you mean about burnt now. its probably the photo filter i used  [laugh]  its not so charred looking in real life.

Edited by chryst, 30 November 2017 - 02:37 PM.

Posted 30 November 2017 - 02:57 PM

Jman888
  • Jman888
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

yes its water. and no i didn't sear the meat at all. it really came out with this burnt look.

edit: i see what you mean about burnt now. its probably the photo filter i used  [laugh]  its not so charred looking in real life.

actually after taking from the water, you can still sear it to get the charred taste and look.

Posted 30 November 2017 - 03:15 PM

Ysc3
  • Premium member
    Ysc3
    Supercharged
    Author Image

actually after taking from the water, you can still sear it to get the charred taste and look.

ownself eat ...no need so many pattern lah ...

what about curry beef cubes ? any secret styles to make it tender - other than a pressure cooker ?

Posted 30 November 2017 - 03:19 PM

Tohto
  • Premium member
    Tohto
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Cook in water will lack the 锅气.

Uncle2 praised this

Posted 30 November 2017 - 03:42 PM

Jman888
  • Jman888
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

ownself eat ...no need so many pattern lah ...

what about curry beef cubes ? any secret styles to make it tender - other than a pressure cooker ?

my wife use 牛腱 part to boil soup for only about 2 hours, very soft and tasty. Next time will try cooking curry with it.

chryst and pi3142 praised this

Posted 30 November 2017 - 07:12 PM

chryst
  • Premium member
    chryst
    6th Gear
    Author Image

Sous Vide I think mostly used by a lot of restaurants or F&B outlets selling steaks. Easy to cook to 'perfection' and saves man power, cos just throw bags of pre packed beef into the sous vide pot then quick grill before serving.

Personally, I still prefer the Julia Child's way of cooking beef. Huge slab of butter, 1 minute on each side. Then use the beef sauce mixed with red wine as dressing.

If you're going to get an Anova just to cook beef then I think you'll be better off going Jack's Place or Aston's for a budget steak. :secret-laugh:

Astons has ok quick fix for beef cravings 👍🏻

Am soooo looking forward to making eggs, dessert and lazy woman Christmas turkey. Now I just have to find a bag and a pot big enough....

Posted 30 November 2017 - 07:34 PM

Neutrino
  • Neutrino
    Supercharged
    Author Image

Best steaks I've ever had were in a place in Tuscany called Tavarnelle.

The square in the town center is closed off every Tuesday just before it gets dark.

The butchers shop there will sell Florentine steaks cut from a large 750mm long rib aged for 42 days.  The butcher has maybe 15 such ribs available.  You choose the type of rib you want your steak cut from and the thickness you want.  Costs about S$60 per kilo including cooking cost.

You take your steak outside and tell the BBQ guy how you want your steak cooked.  Somehow this guy can cook maybe 16 steaks at a go and get each one cooked exactly as you like it.

The steak is delivered to your table in the square with baked potatoes and a salad and you order your wine separately.

Maybe 200 people eating steak and really enjoying the atmosphere around the whole thing.

Epic.

chryst, DACH and Baleno praised this
There is no law without enforcement

Posted 30 November 2017 - 07:57 PM

Lala81
  • Lala81
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Astons has ok quick fix for beef cravings 👍🏻

Am soooo looking forward to making eggs, dessert and lazy woman Christmas turkey. Now I just have to find a bag and a pot big enough....

a lot of sous vide people use those coleman coolers, u can use them if u can't find a big enough stockpot.

Posted 01 December 2017 - 01:03 AM

Angcheek
  • Premium member
    Angcheek
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

unfortunately I dont take beef keke 

Mercs, Pinobii and 1 Anonymous member praised this
樹多總有枯枝,人多總有白痴

Posted 01 December 2017 - 09:42 AM

chryst
  • Premium member
    chryst
    6th Gear
    Author Image

a lot of sous vide people use those coleman coolers, u can use them if u can't find a big enough stockpot.

Like this right? I was considering whether wanna use this for christmas or not.

maxresdefault.jpg

unfortunately I dont take beef keke 

*gasp*  [crazy]

Back to Makan Corner  ·  Non-Car Related Top Reply to this topic

Quick Reply

Tags: beef, cooking, diy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users