2018 FIFA World Cup

Civic2000

This England team got no pressure lah. Good for them...

Just look at the team, will anyone put any hope on the team to go far? I am not confident they can get out of group stages leh.

Young as well as a few others who can't start regularly for their clubs, as in the team. Means National team is worse off than the clubs...

England World Cup squad named ...... surprises are Loftus-Cheek, TAA whilst some of the surprise omissions are Hart, Wilshere, Bertrand.

GOALKEEPERS

Jordan Pickford (Everton), Jack Butland (Stoke), Nick Pope (Burnley)

DEFENDERS

John Stones (Manchester City), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Phil Jones (Manchester United), Harry Maguire (Leicester), Kyle Walker (Manchester City), Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool), Ashley Young (Manchester United), Danny Rose (Tottenham), Kieran Trippier (Tottenham)

MIDFIELDERS

Eric Dier (Tottenham), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Dele Alli (Tottenham), Ruben Loftus-Cheek (Chelsea), Jesse Lingard (Manchester United), Raheem Sterling (Manchester City), Fabian Delph (Manchester City)

FORWARDS

Harry Kane (Tottenham), Jamie Vardy (Leicester), Danny Welbeck (Arsenal), Marcus Rashford (Manchester United)

Tom Heaton, James Tarkowski, Lewis Cook, Jake Livemore and Adam Lallana have all been formally put on standby.

11 defenders (if include Delph and Dier) and some average gk?

England gonna play ultra defensive and pump long ball to Kane? :D

Yup..... they are playing what JM favourite tactics when he was with Chelsea, "parking a double decker" ......     :we-all-gonna-die:

:XD:

This England team got no pressure lah. Good for them...

Just look at the team, will anyone put any hope on the team to go far? I am not confident they can get out of group stages leh.

Young as well as a few others who can't start regularly for their clubs, as in the team. Means National team is worse off than the clubs...

Yes, unlike his predecessors; seems like Southgate is not under pressure and the FA has backed him to groom this team with an eye for success at WC2022 instead. That's why Loftus Cheek and TAA is in the squad for exposure and experience. 

TAA is really a surprise pick cos they already have 2 RBs in Walker and Trippier. This England squad has only 2 players above 30 ie Cahill and Young but whilst I can understand why Cahill is chosen (leadership and experience at the back), I'm struggling to understand why Young gets the nod when Rose and Delph can cover LB. Shld have chosen Bertrand if LB is required or another MF like Wilshere who though injury prone, can provide creativity which is sorely lacking in the middle of the park.

• Praise 3

Hypersonic

not to worry. his wallet not as fat as LHL's 

seriously? The person whose personal wealth is estimated at 20billion USD?  :blink:  :blink:  :blink:

• Praise 1

Hypersonic

Yes, unlike his predecessors; seems like Southgate is not under pressure and the FA has backed him to groom this team with an eye for success at WC2022 instead. That's why Loftus Cheek and TAA is in the squad for exposure and experience. 

TAA is really a surprise pick cos they already have 2 RBs in Walker and Trippier. This England squad has only 2 players above 30 ie Cahill and Young but whilst I can understand why Cahill is chosen (leadership and experience at the back), I'm struggling to understand why Young gets the nod when Rose and Delph can cover LB. Shld have chosen Bertrand if LB is required or another MF like Wilshere who though injury prone, can provide creativity which is sorely lacking in the middle of the park.

they should have brought lallana. though it's a big gamble given his fitness

He's the only ball playing midfielder they have.

they should have brought lallana. though it's a big gamble given his fitness

He's the only ball playing midfielder they have.

Agreed that Lallana could make a difference esp coming from the bench. He definitely would be worth a risk over Young who though is a willing performer who carries out coach's instructions diligently, offers little else.

I suppose the down side on Lallana is that he may not be match fit and with the WC less than a month away n with very few games to get him back to match fitness, it would be a tough ask to bring him along?

• Praise 3

Hypersonic

Agreed that Lallana could make a difference esp coming from the bench. He definitely would be worth a risk over Young who though is a willing performer who carries out coach's instructions diligently, offers little else.

I suppose the down side on Lallana is that he may not be match fit and with the WC less than a month away n with very few games to get him back to match fitness, it would be a tough ask to bring him along?

If u are 1-0 down and looking for a solution on the bench with 15mins left, what the hell can they bring on?

Vardy? he won't work on a team defending deep.

Young? Might as well don't do anything

At least lallana can play the ball through the middle still.

england playing 3-5-2? dier and henderson middle with ali free to roam

Southgate has played 3 at the back a few times but most of the England defenders bar Cahill don't operate with 3 at the back at club level so abit risky at a high level tournament without the sufficient games to prepare? The modern game requires teams to play with 3 at the back in some games at least so in the long run, I can see this happening.

Alli in a free role can cause havoc so a good idea if u ask me n this system requires FBs with great pace and energy which England do have in Walker, Trippier and Rose, so some food for thought for sure.

• Praise 3

hmm... what made FA suddenly so benevolent? Mgr they decided to try out southgate who has little experience (= low expectation).

players also they let them gain experience and no need pressure the team...

All the past managers must be super envious of southgate... Big Sam most regretful lah...

And yes, whole team is dun have a ball-playing player - if wilshere and lallana are not included. will be pump long balls and chiong already...

If u are 1-0 down and looking for a solution on the bench with 15mins left, what the hell can they bring on?

Vardy? he won't work on a team defending deep.

Young? Might as well don't do anything

At least lallana can play the ball through the middle still.

yah lor... bring in welbeck who will run and then trip over the ball, or maybe hope young can earn a penalty [bigcry]

i seriously doubt they'll get out of group stage...

Southgate has played 3 at the back a few times but most of the England defenders bar Cahill don't operate with 3 at the back at club level so abit risky at a high level tournament without the sufficient games to prepare? The modern game requires teams to play with 3 at the back in some games at least so in the long run, I can see this happening.

Alli in a free role can cause havoc so a good idea if u ask me n this system requires FBs with great pace and energy which England do have in Walker, Trippier and Rose, so some food for thought for sure.

this WC will be a good test... and with less pressure... hopefully they do well

Hypersonic

And yes, whole team is dun have a ball-playing player - if wilshere and lallana are not included. will be pump long balls and chiong already...

Without an Eriksen, how can Kane and Ali shine.

So actually lallana is definitely worth a gamble. especially in world cup where teams will be disciplined.

if that's the case then why not blood sessegnon too? he's probably the brightest english talent atm

this WC will be a good test... and with less pressure... hopefully they do well

not hopeful.

england is like liverpool.

• Praise 1

hmm... what made FA suddenly so benevolent? Mgr they decided to try out southgate who has little experience (= low expectation).

players also they let them gain experience and no need pressure the team...

All the past managers must be super envious of southgate... Big Sam most regretful lah...

yah lor... bring in welbeck who will run and then trip over the ball, or maybe hope young can earn a penalty [bigcry]

i seriously doubt they'll get out of group stage...

England's group not the most difficult other than Belgium.

Tunisia and Panama if England can't overcome them I think even the FA's benevolence would be tested! 

Past that, England would face Group H opponents which are Poland, Senegal, Colombia and Japan, again not the most difficult so I feel quarter-finals could be a possibility with semis being considered a success, good luck England!!

if that's the case then why not blood sessegnon too? he's probably the brightest english talent atm

not hopeful.

england is like liverpool.

Good call on Sessegnon and again not that I'm picking on him, surely a better choice than Young?

Well Pool did reach the UCL Final this season so England can follow their footsteps? I surely hope so!

• Praise 5

Tunisia and Panama if England can't overcome them I think even the FA's benevolence would be tested! 

Past that, England would face Group H opponents which are Poland, Senegal, Colombia and Japan, again not the most difficult so I feel quarter-finals could be a possibility with semis being considered a success, good luck England!!

Good call on Sessegnon and again not that I'm picking on him, surely a better choice than Young?

Well Pool did reach the UCL Final this season so England can follow their footsteps? I surely hope so!

lol

perrenial underachivers.

but yes. sessegnon is definitely better than young. at least can play fwd too if need be.

welbeck is another waste of space.

but then again.

england not many talents la.

who else to bring.

Without an Eriksen, how can Kane and Ali shine.

So actually lallana is definitely worth a gamble. especially in world cup where teams will be disciplined.

Absolutely. No supplyline to Ali and Kane, and they are going to be like S League only lah. Southgate hoping to replicate last year's Spurs team play Rose and Walker as wingback to cross to Ali and Kane? no need go through the middle therefore no need ball-playing midfield?? He left out Eriksen from the equation lah. Hendo can only control possession at the back and will not go forward, and neither is he good on the ball. Not creative type. Who else is there?

Lallana really wasted. If he's fit and playing well this season, he could do so much for club and country...

Good analysis, bro!

I didn't realise England has it so easy... If really cannot even clear first hurdle, well, FA can look for another manager again lor [laugh]

But you never know, things could easily go wrong for England, as we have seen so many times...

Im a Starhub cross carriage user for Singtel BPL matches..

apparently after calling in..I was told that if starhib folks renew the contract for 2 years can only watch the match on the handphones and not on TV...

so this makes paying the $94 inevitable if you wish to catch matches live on your 55inch TVs.. [dead]

Just re-contract with Singtel for the free World Cup. Now my new 49" tv got good use.

↡ Advertisement