Magnifying glass
  • Search this thread
  • Reply to this topic
58 replies to this topic | 221 praises

Posted 04 December 2017 - 01:05 PM

Minikong
  • Minikong
    5th Gear
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

hi guru,

my car today leaking black oil, garage call me said repair need 4k, ask me to abandon ship and change tot he new c 200, 

ad said no stock for thus year, need indent for 6 month, car time said got stock, rive away at 190k+ month end deliver, 

so what will u guys do? repair or dont repair, ad or pi?

Posted 04 December 2017 - 01:09 PM

Vinceng
  • Premium member
    Vinceng
    NOS-ed
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Repair is always the more sensible option.

Posted 04 December 2017 - 01:16 PM

Minikong
  • Minikong
    5th Gear
    Author Image

Repair is always the more sensible option.

i also think so but this year just repair, i spent around 3k plus already, plus till be 9 k, and dont know anything more anot

Posted 04 December 2017 - 01:21 PM

Vinceng
  • Premium member
    Vinceng
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

After the repairs, your car will be as good as brand new!

$ spent on repairs is still cheaper than a brand new car depreciation.

Posted 04 December 2017 - 02:05 PM

Skchiu
  • Premium member
    Skchiu
    3rd Gear
    Author Image

your car still left long time then repair is the way to go

1 Anonymous member praised this

Posted 04 December 2017 - 02:11 PM

Minikong
  • Minikong
    5th Gear
    Author Image

Only left 2 year , next might be engine mounting , Aircon compprseer and such

Posted 04 December 2017 - 02:27 PM

Ct3833
  • Ct3833
    6th Gear
    Author Image

Left two more years, if you dont repair, how much dealer will take in your car? Scrap price? 

How much would you have to write off  if you do not repair? 

The amount you have to write off your car determines if you should spend 4K to repair, so you should go ask around how much your car would worth before making further decision. Mind sharing what car are you driving now ?

Posted 04 December 2017 - 02:30 PM

Minikong
  • Minikong
    5th Gear
    Author Image

Left two more years, if you dont repair, how much dealer will take in your car? Scrap price?
How much would you have to write off if you do not repair?
The amount you have to write off your car determines if you should spend 4K to repair, so you should go ask around how much your car would worth before making further decision. Mind sharing what car are you driving now ?

Mini Cooper s , ya I am now asking around lol

Posted 04 December 2017 - 02:32 PM

Aaronlkl
  • Premium member
    Aaronlkl
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

$4k to fix engine oil leak!?

Wow ur workshop's parang sure is very sharp!

[knife]

Btw what car u drive?

hi guru,

my car today leaking black oil, garage call me said repair need 4k, ask me to abandon ship and change tot he new c 200, 

ad said no stock for thus year, need indent for 6 month, car time said got stock, rive away at 190k+ month end deliver, 

"If in doubt, Flat out!"

Posted 04 December 2017 - 02:33 PM

nazerath
  • nazerath
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

i also think so but this year just repair, i spent around 3k plus already, plus till be 9 k, and dont know anything more anot

Leak from where? How come last time not fixed?

Posted 04 December 2017 - 02:35 PM

Minikong
  • Minikong
    5th Gear
    Author Image

$4k to fix engine oil leak!?

Wow ur workshop's parang sure is very sharp!

[knife]

Btw what car u drive?

Got to tear the whole engine down as it is the gear box and the engine there the seal leak , and some other replacement

Posted 04 December 2017 - 02:40 PM

Aaronlkl
  • Premium member
    Aaronlkl
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Usually is the engine cam rocker cover gasket leakage. Need not strip down the whole engine. U hv any photo of the leakage?

Got to tear the whole engine down as it is the gear box and the engine there the seal leak , and some other replacement

Edited by Aaronlkl, 04 December 2017 - 02:53 PM.

"If in doubt, Flat out!"

Posted 04 December 2017 - 02:52 PM

Volvobrick
  • Volvobrick
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Change workshop....

Jamesc, Mustank and Lok666 praised this

Posted 04 December 2017 - 02:55 PM

Ct3833
  • Ct3833
    6th Gear
    Author Image

Mini Cooper s , ya I am now asking around lol

Nice car.   Nearly bought a used one but last min the seller back off .

The problem is dealers may quote you paper value knowing the current condition for a lifestyle car like this.

Your write off for 2 years should be about $25k(depreciation). Theoretically, to save the 4k, you  will have to write off  25-4 = 21k after knocking off the repair that you would otherwise have to pay for.

If you spend 4k to repair it, you have a chance to drive it for  many more months. Even if you will have to do some other repair, would it cost more than the yearly depreciation? likelihood not. 

Alternatively, repair it and sell for some value, maybe 8k to 9k depreciation(my guess), you still get back some money, before you  go spend 190k to buy your new happiness.  If you want to repair, go ask another one or two workshop for a assessment. 

The whole consideration  hinges on  how much the car would fetch without repair .  

And once repaired, it takes away the time pressure from yourself so that you can think more logically  if you should buy from AD or PI. if  you dont repair, your leave yourself with only one option, that is only PI if you want a C200.  

Edited by Ct3833, 04 December 2017 - 03:23 PM.

Posted 04 December 2017 - 03:12 PM

Davidtch
  • Premium member
    Davidtch
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Can PM me which ws quote you 4k?

Maybe it is a good idea to get 2nd opinion.

Mustank praised this

Posted 04 December 2017 - 04:17 PM

AltisOwner
  • Premium member
    AltisOwner
    Supercharged
    Author Image

Brother, my suggestion is you should go to other workshop to check and get second opinion before committing to $4K repair.  My previous Toyota car, 10 years ago also had an engine oil leaking detected and after checking it found that only the casket cover need to replace and only cost around $100+, unless your car have many other problems.

Wish you all the best.

Freeder, Jamesc, Pocy and Sunny praised this

Posted 04 December 2017 - 04:21 PM

Beregond
  • Beregond
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Your car i not sure.
But most car if between engine and gearbox leaking engine oil.
High chance is the flywheel oil seal.
Which wont cost much even if alot of labour to replace.
Mustank praised this

Posted 04 December 2017 - 04:22 PM

Civic6228
  • Premium member
    Civic6228
    Supercharged
    Author Image

My friend in the same situation ... He was offered  paper value for his Y2010 car. Driving on make more sense as depreciation will be lower compared to buying a new car.

However, do all your repairs now, you would have longer time to enjoy the car before scrapping it. 

Posted 04 December 2017 - 04:23 PM

Soya
  • Soya
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Thot TS gonna ask leak oil change oil gasket how many hundred dollah?

Not leak oil so gotta buy new $190K car....

MCF sibei rich

Posted 04 December 2017 - 04:30 PM

Beehive3783
  • Premium member
    Beehive3783
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

$4K can do engine swap already.

Change oil seals only, your garage need to use such a big chopper or not? [laugh]

hi guru,

Jamesc and Mustank praised this
Cheers
Ben

Back to General Car Discussion  ·  Cars Top Reply to this topic
SgCarMart Quotz

Quick Reply

Tags: mercedes-benz and 2 more...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users