Electric car sharing scheme to hit the roads 12-12-2017

zipping

if the T&C to complete a usage is to hook up to the charging terminal in order to sign out, then i think it can minimize car not been charge.

so far my experience using carclub and smove, the designated lots reserved (in MSCP or malls) for these vehicle usually were not been abused, no other car will park there.

Previous user may hook up charging point when rental ends but seeing how these plugs work, it looks easy enuf for some vandal to simply unplug it.

Seeing how obikes land up in longkangs, handlebars missing, seat missing, sadly dun tink sg is ready to 'share'

↡ Advertisement

if the T&C to complete a usage is to hook up to the charging terminal in order to sign out, then i think it can minimize car not been charge.

so far my experience using carclub and smove, the designated lots reserved (in MSCP or malls) for these vehicle usually were not been abused, no other car will park there.

to add on, BlueSG can consider to have CCTV at each charging station so as to monitor and hopefully deter people who may abuse the stations. that is if they have not already been planning to do so... 

to add on, BlueSG can consider to have CCTV at each charging station so as to monitor and hopefully deter people who may abuse the stations. that is if they have not already been planning to do so...

Waiting to see the first bluesg car to appear on Stomp parked in a longkang....LOL
  • Praise 1

Yeah lor, sometimes just strange why would people want to throw bike into longkang? Don't it involves more trouble and risks to do that extra without any benefit? 

need to really open their brain to examine. 

Yeah lor, sometimes just strange why would people want to throw bike into longkang? Don't it involves more trouble and risks to do that extra without any benefit? 

need to really open their brain to examine. 

thats why SG may not be ready for bike sharing and rental of electric vehicles yet, in terms of people's mentality and culture... 

We ain't tt hopeless...

From my own experience of using such car rental companies, I think everyone follows the basic code of conduct and it certainly wasn't as bad as Obike. My friends who use Smove a lot also didn't have too much problem.

I think Obike has a too wide audience, including kids and teens who happen to be in their problematic years. But car sharing audience is at least 18++ and the penalty of sabotage is much much higher than a bike. Plus, don't think Obike records individual IC but when it comes to car sharing, such information will be shared due to insurance terms.

• Praise 2

thats why SG may not be ready for bike sharing and rental of electric vehicles yet, in terms of people's mentality and culture... 

Which is why ownership is still better because more people will take responsibility to take care of their own things, no matter how hard the situation is.

Which is why ownership is still better because more people will take responsibility to take care of their own things, no matter how hard the situation is.

which brings us back to whether our garment can setup the necessary infrastructure and eventually allow sale of fully electric cars in SG... 

Well - that suddenly happened.

Consistent with everything else these days, the amount of proactive education - i.e. how to use, charge, rent electric vehicles, as well as proper usage etiquette is lacking here. Yes, we can say that most Singaporeans are well-educated and should have the ability to do "the right thing".

But based on what we see from the reckless driver threads, as well as the possibility that these services to have stronger adoption by foreign PR/talents, how can we be certain? The answer is that we can't.

Sometimes it only takes a few black sheep to create problems for the larger community and kill a potentially excellent program/system even before it can grow to puberty. And the lack of awareness/education will be its potential downfall. Like what @Soya mentioned, we could see people not returning vehicles properly with all the charging points attached, etc.

Regarding the charges, it does make sense from a "final mile" perspective. You will use this for that grocery run from the supermarket to get home (assuming that you went public to get there) and it helps prevent you from lugging all those bags up a bus or MRT. Hence they have a 15 minute minimum booking - think about it, you can reach most destinations in Singapore within 15 minutes.

While I personally feel that while this program has the potential to be very successful, I would say that I am cautiously optimistic and hope that Singaporeans can embrace this "new" format of car-sharing. We need to shed the old mentality than we rent a car to continually (maximise) use for a fixed period, but regard it as an alternative mode of transportation (i.e. from a journey perspective).

I apologise if my thoughts are somewhat messy, but trying to keep it short and readable whilst still covering the key thoughts that I have.

Just my humble tuppence

I really wish this will work too, but I agree that there are black sheep that tend to take advantage of things like these. I've seen Smove cars abused to hell to almost undrivable standards, so I think there needs to be some rules in place, at least at first, so that people know what they should do.

As a collective society I think Singaporeans are generally not quite ready to 'share' things and be trusted to take care of them for others yet.

• Praise 2

Rental car....Most will pump Ron92.

But this electric car.... Will not have this disadvantage. Electricity is clean.

I want to try a full electric car driving experience. Can't wait for next week.

• Praise 3

Rental car....Most will pump Ron92.

But this electric car.... Will not have this disadvantage. Electricity is clean.

I want to try a full electric car driving experience. Can't wait for next week.

do share your experience with us once you try it  [thumbsup]

which brings us back to whether our garment can setup the necessary infrastructure and eventually allow sale of fully electric cars in SG... 

I don't think govt prohibits electric cars to go on sale here.

It is the matter of how the infrastructure is to be built and expand to cater for the needs of the masses and how the taxes are implemented to encourage the take up of such vehicles. 

• Praise 2

They do allow. BMW i3 already on sale.

Is only a matter of whether they want to and willing to update themselves or not with new technology. How they solve the Tesla issue is something we should look out for.

• Praise 1

They do allow. BMW i3 already on sale.

Is only a matter of whether they want to and willing to update themselves or not with new technology. How they solve the Tesla issue is something we should look out for.

BMW i3 and i8.

Nissan Leaf.

how it work? if i decide to drive from say Sengkang to Tampines, but Tampines 2 lots are occupied by the other 2 electric cars, how am I supposed to clock "car returned"?

just saw a BlueSG electric car breakdown in the middle of the road along Jurong Town Hall... ð·ð·

Wahaha....dun say I say
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1