SG's number of old will soon match young for first time

kdash

Many types of work still requires humans making decisions, personal interactions etc.

Healthcare and early childhood education are two sectors that can use technologies to accomplish more, but require more humans to spearhead. Technology cannot replace humans in some of those industries.

Thus is the local workforce adequate to fill in the gaps of the more humane complex work instead with technology complementing them on the manual work?
↡ Advertisement

Healthcare (especially nursing) and early childhood educators - how many locals are in those sectors or aspire to go into those sectors?

Thus is the local workforce adequate to fill in the gaps of the more humane complex work instead with technology complementing them on the manual work?

TS are you reminding me? [bigcry] Age is just a number. It is how you age gracefully through good planning. I am still planning although I am a little late :a-confused: 

more policy changes coming up in future? in terms of more FT/FW coming in, and higher taxes to support the senior citizens... 

Why not cut the majority of ministerial salaries by half? That will alone save the country millions of dollars every year to deal with the aging population problem in future. While the country is facing a serious issue like this, all the more we should look into the expenses of the country and cut those that are unnecessary and wasteful. 

While I do not advocate using the reserves for such problems, we should scrutinize such unnecessary expenses and use whatever dollar to solve the problem, till there is no other choice, then we should consider increase the taxes. 

Try to migrate to retire.

It's not totally the problem of the CPF scheme but the costs of living in the future will just keep increasing at levels that the CPF scheme cannot even catch up.

That does not help in the dying alone part. Only helps in the cost part.

So which country to live the final journey and why would one do that after working hard all your life here?

As long as there is a balance of financial prudence and splurging on rare occasion during our economically viable age. All of us would have accumulated a decent nest egg.

If got decent inheritance, all the relatives will appear.

If nothing all disappear.

The harsh realities of life.

Mass immigration is not the answer. Think about it. The immigrants will also get old, and sooner, because they come in their late twenties to forties.

Best solution is to bite the bullet like Japan.

Or, in Singapore's case, annexation by a bigger country is also a good idea.

Really? I f**k you 

Singapore's number of old will soon match young for first time

http://www.todayonline.com/singapore/singapores-number-old-will-soon-match-young-first-time

more policy changes coming up in future? in terms of more FT/FW coming in, and higher taxes to support the senior citizens... 

So meaning what? The younger generation will be taxed more? Our childrens' livelihood is going to be tough if that's what they are saying. If we do not save enough for our old age now the burden will be passed to our children. No wonder so many ppl thinking of leaving. But if other parts of the world face the same issue where are ppl going to settle?

If worse come to worse old liao also must work to survive. Die early might be a better option. Knn.  [smallcry] 

TS are you reminding me? [bigcry] Age is just a number. It is how you age gracefully through good planning. I am still planning although I am a little late :a-confused:

haha bro, better late than never... we may not be able to count on our kids to take care of us, but at least we have the means to support ourselves hopefully...

So meaning what? The younger generation will be taxed more? Our childrens' livelihood is going to be tough if that's what they are saying. If we do not save enough for our old age now the burden will be passed to our children. No wonder so many ppl thinking of leaving. But if other parts of the world face the same issue where are ppl going to settle?

If worse come to worse old liao also must work to survive. Die early might be a better option. Knn. [smallcry]

agreed... thats why we cannot just count on our kids but to try to find additional sources of passive income if possible, to tide us through our old age... the way i see it, we will need to work until very old age...

If worse come to worse old liao also must work to survive. Die early might be a better option. Knn. [smallcry]

Actually increasing life expectancy is a curse rather than a blessing.

If worse come to worse old liao also must work to survive. Die early might be a better option. Knn.  [smallcry] 

you called? :a-rip:

[laugh]  [laugh]

SG garment is disputing UN report's figures... but what cannot be disputed is the trend towards an ageing society... the projected 1:1 ratio in 2050 is quite worrying... 

Elderly to make up almost half of S’pore population by 2050: United Nations

http://www.todayonline.com/singapore/elderly-make-almost-half-spore-population-2050-united-nations

The dependency ratio will also halve to almost 1:1, with one adult supporting a child or an elderly person. In 2015, there were 100 adults – persons aged 20 to 64 years – supporting about 50 children and elderly persons. But by 2050, 100 adults would have to support about 95 children and elderly persons.

↡ Advertisement