Bike-sharing: oBike, Ofo, or Mobike?

Lmws214

It is NOT stupid idea.

It is residents of Republic of Singapore is NO BETTER than residents of PRC.

i beg to differ. when you have 100 bikes for a limited space, overcrowding is inevitable. i am not just referring to abandoning bikes in the drain which are not  common. why didn't the share car scheme try what the share bike does?

the comcept is flawed before even it starts. 

↡ Advertisement

i beg to differ. when you have 100 bikes for a limited space, overcrowding is inevitable. i am not just referring to abandoning bikes in the drain which are not  common. why didn't the share car scheme try what the share bike does?

the comcept is flawed before even it starts. 

100 bikes take up less space than 100 cars.

Edited by Davidtch

100 bikes take up less space than 100 cars.

true, try to park them near a crowded bus stop. haha. cars need COE for? Just how many these share bikes we have in this tiny city? 

Agree. 

Just look at rental cars. 

When renting cars overseas, you will know that the condition of the rental cars are much to be desired despite the car rental company washing and vacuuming it prior to handing it to you.

If not for the clause in the rental agreement allowing them to charge to your credit card any significant damage the rental car was returned with, I suspect the rental cars will be in a far worse shape. 

That is based on my rental experience in Australia and USA. 

With no rules on where to park and no penalty for abuse of the bikes, how will those bike rentes know how to behave? If the government is not willing to do the job, the bike sharing companies themselves have to do it. Apparently they are not that committed. 

Bicycle how cheap only, still need other people to sponsor? Cannot get one for yourself and use?

People will have more responsibility if they have ownership of something.

true, try to park them near a crowded bus stop. haha. cars need COE for? Just how many these share bikes we have in this tiny city? 

It all boils down to proper planning and users etiquette.

Agree. 

Just look at rental cars. 

When renting cars overseas, you will know that the condition of the rental cars are much to be desired despite the car rental company washing and vacuuming it prior to handing it to you.

If not for the clause in the rental agreement allowing them to charge to your credit card any significant damage the rental car was returned with, I suspect the rental cars will be in a far worse shape. 

That is based on my rental experience in Australia and USA. 

With no rules on where to park and no penalty for abuse of the bikes, how will those bike rentes know how to behave? If the government is not willing to do the job, the bike sharing companies themselves have to do it. Apparently they are not that committed. 

If users in Shanghai can use shared bike properly, why Singapore ppl cannot?

It shows that Singapore has not arrived yet in term of civil mindedness.

Bicycle how cheap only, still need other people to sponsor? Cannot get one for yourself and use?

People will have more responsibility if they have ownership of something.

Take folding bike up MRT/Bus, ppl like you KPKB.

Bicycle parked at MRT station will be stolen regardless of condition.

HOW?

• Praise 1

Take folding bike up MRT/Bus, ppl like you KPKB.

Bicycle parked at MRT station will be stolen regardless of condition.

HOW?

Then take responsibility and secure the bicycle to prevent it from being stolen.

I have a friend who cycle to MRT station everyday for almost 20 years. His bike is never stolen. If there are people like him can do it, don't see why others don't.

Then take responsibility and secure the bicycle to prevent it from being stolen.

I have a friend who cycle to MRT station everyday for almost 20 years. His bike is never stolen. If there are people like him can do it, don't see why others don't.

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/average-of-100-bicycles-stolen-each-month

Average of 100 bicycles stolen each month

I know this is 4 years ago.

Edited by Davidtch

It all boils down to proper planning and users etiquette.

in general this is true. however, if you issue permit for too many bikes without consideration how these bikes are going o park in crowded areas, it is simply not going to work. either people has to learn not to use them for certain location or expected to ride them back to where they took the bike and then take public transport again. 

Your friend is super lucky la. Many people also secure their bike and yet can get stolen lo.

• Praise 1

Your friend is super lucky la. Many people also secure their bike and yet can get stolen lo.

I don't know it's about luck but he changed locks before and his bike is not those fanciful one. Can ride is ok for him.

I don't know it's about luck but he changed locks before and his bike is not those fanciful one. Can ride is ok for him.

You Friend must be riding dis bike... BOH Lang ai Chooree one....

post-167240-0-44118800-1534008721.jpeg

• Praise 1

You Friend must be riding dis bike... BOH Lang ai Chooree one....

This kind of condition with more faded paint, but bigger bike and wheels and very high seating position (DIY), and no basket. 

If users in Shanghai can use shared bike properly, why Singapore ppl cannot?

It shows that Singapore has not arrived yet in term of civil mindedness.

It doesn't work here, means it doesn't work.

You can't change people's bad behaviour overnight.

Maybe it will take centuries.

Just try to ask them to return tray in hawker centre, you get the same bad result.

It doesn't work here, means it doesn't work.

You can't change people's bad behaviour overnight.

Maybe it will take centuries.

Just try to ask them to return tray in hawker centre, you get the same bad result.

while it take every individual to support any scheme, the people spearheading such scheme must also know what it is all about and not just use their mouth.

many hawker centers don't even have space to walk, no need to talk about tray returning center. evsn if there shelves, nobody is clearing them. we are more focus on creating more stalls to increase revenue than anything else

Bike sharing firm Mobike is to pull out of Manchester after losing 10% of its cycles each month to theft and vandalism.

The Chinese firm said too many had been stolen, dumped in canals and bins, had locks hacked off or been set on fire.

Manchester has become the only city among 200 worldwide to lose the service because of persistent crime.

Mobike said it had already "processed refunds" and would start removing its fleet imminently from the city streets.

Mobike General Manager Jan Van der Ven said the company was "very grateful" to the city, which was the first in Europe to adopt the scheme last July.

Bike sharing firm Mobike is to pull out of Manchester after losing 10% of its cycles each month to theft and vandalism.

The Chinese firm said too many had been stolen, dumped in canals and bins, had locks hacked off or been set on fire.

Manchester has become the only city among 200 worldwide to lose the service because of persistent crime.

Mobike said it had already "processed refunds" and would start removing its fleet imminently from the city streets.

Mobike General Manager Jan Van der Ven said the company was "very grateful" to the city, which was the first in Europe to adopt the scheme last July.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-manchester-45422065

_103124807_mediaitem103124806.jpg

Bike sharing seemed to be doomed to failure...