Cars with really poor safety ratings

therock

Now the new vios comes out liao. That's the benchmark for bnb cars.

It comes with 7 airbags, all wheel disc brakes, traction control, electronic brake force distribution, brake assist, abs, hill start assist and etc etc.. Really impressive. I will definitely consider this in future.

Sat in attrage for a long drive to airport.. Really noisy when it's picking up and maintaining at cruising speed. You can hear the engine roaring like out of breath.

But one's meat is another's poison. Everyone is entitled to their own views.

Attrage which weighs at around 900kg is the same as the old old vios which was around 900 kg. That one also came with rear disc brakes back then in 2006.

But attrage undeniably is value for money, hence 90% of it are owned by PHV companies..

Peace out..

Yea. I'm totally chill.

Don't get me wrong

Accent is a better car than attrage. Confirm.

I'm just focusing on the drum Vs disc brakes part. So much emphasis.

↡ Advertisement

These days most cars are auto mode.. For me, I am on manual transmission, needs all limbs to be on the move.. Needs to be alert..

I can imagine people sleeping behind wheels cos it just step on acceleration

Edited by Ivan_06

Frankly, I am not into this safety thing especially I don't drive frequently in NS highway in Malaysia. It is a good to have but really matter that much?

Once upon a time, where got air bags and ABS? If we look at the average cars today and compare to those of yester-years, they are pretty good liao. I wonder if there is any statistics to show accidents for the past 20 years in Singapore that are fatal due to poor safety feature against accidents due to drivers faults? No matter what safety features the car has, if you drive like F1, hard to protect you lor.

Don't forget, our max speed is 90 km/hr and we are suppose to be driving 50-60 km/hr most times or in the jam [rolleyes]

in theory yes. Slow speed equals to a safer car.

That does not equals to a idiot who ramp into a safe car.

I had to suffer a sitting duck situation. 

In a traffic jam. At the express way. Cerdric taxi rear ended my accord till it needed 1 month of repair.

Had to do a half cut to weld back the car.

In my own opinion, much as all this tech could potentially be life-saving, I would much rather have less of such tech so we don't cultivate a generation of lazy, complacent and over-reliant drivers.

Can you imagine an accident where a driver ploughed down pedestrians and he blames the car for not activating the emergency stop function due to a sensor failure?

I dread that day if it ever comes. Nothing can replace a conscientious and alert driver.

Edited by Terrylmt

In my own opinion, much as all this tech could potentially be life-saving, I would much rather have less of such tech so we don't cultivate a generation of lazy, complacent and over-reliant drivers.

Can you imagine an accident where a driver ploughed down pedestrians and he blames the car for not activating the emergency stop function due to a sensor failure?

I dread that day if it ever comes. Nothing can replace a conscientious and alert driver.

Drive manual. Support manual transmission. All my 3 rides are manual transmission.

Drive manual. Support manual transmission. All my 3 rides are manual transmission.

Now,in S'pore less & lesser Cars came in Manual Gear,only some low End Cars & Lorries came with it. -_-

Agreed,this Topic was raised by Taiwan GoCarTv Editor,these "Anti Crash System" ,is to assist the driver,cannot depends on it,control the best still by driver,just a few Weeks ago,my friend's new E-Class supposed can do "Self Parking" by itself,hit a Pole behind,He make noise with Agent,end up still need to claim Insurance for the Damage. [furious]

• Praise 1

Now,in S'pore less & lesser Cars came in Manual Gear,only some low End Cars & Lorries came with it. -_-

Ya. Back then heng accent comes with manual in 2015.. But now they also dun sell manual liao. But they have a manual one on display.

Only left suzuki swift and Honda jazz which you need to pay $10k more than auto and is on special indent basis.. :(

Edited by Ivan_06

The small overlap test only came out in late 2012/early 2013.. In the preliminary tests, most cars failed the test as it was never tested before. This includes brands like audi, BMWs and etc...

So for cars designed in 2012 or earlier, almost all would have failed the small overlap test...

For example, accent rb (released in 2012) though was a 4* NCAP car did not perform to the small overlap car. This was similar to many other cars back then. Including BMWs, audi and etc. Dun even need to mention about Japanese or kimchi rides.

But those cars who were designed and introduced much later like mitsubishi attrage, the manufacturers simply changed the structure to beat the test.....

https://youtu.be/PobXrNvxGGs

Help me understand this Euro NCAP thingy as I am beginning to feel cynical about this organisation just like the way I feel about EU emission standards all along.

From the video, you can see that the Punto's crash structure didn't crumble except where it should. There was no deformation of the A-pillars and the doors were unaffected. Back in 2005, this generation of Punto was one of the first to get a 5* NCAP rating.

Today it scores 0?? The crash structure is worth nothing now?

Or is the Zero due to a lack of electronic nannying collision avoidance technologies like lane departure, radar cruise control and autonomous e-braking, rather than any structural deficiencies? Is it wise to place too much emphasis on collision avoidance rather than collision mitigation? 

Manufacturers can tailor their cars to pass these tests with flying colours by piling on the electronic nannies but do they really protect you in a unavoidable crash? Just like how car makers tailor the cars to meet emission testing and state astronomical fuel efficiency figures that are all but unachievable in real life driving?

Can some kind soul please enlighten me and help me regain some faith in these organisations.

Edited by Toeknee_33
  • Praise 1

Help me understand this Euro NCAP thingy as I am beginning to feel cynical about this organisation just like the way I feel about EU emission standards all along.

From the video, you can see that the Punto's crash structure didn't crumble except where it should. There was no deformation of the A-pillars and the doors were unaffected. Back in 2005, this generation of Punto was one of the first to get a 5* NCAP rating.

Today it scores 0?? The crash structure is worth nothing now?

Or is the Zero due to a lack of electronic nannying collision avoidance technologies like lane departure, radar cruise control and autonomous e-braking, rather than any structural deficiencies? Is it wise to place too much emphasis on collision avoidance rather than collision mitigation? 

Manufacturers can tailor their cars to pass these tests with flying colours by piling on the electronic nannies but do they really protect you in a unavoidable crash? Just like how car makers tailor the cars to meet emission testing and state astronomical fuel efficiency figures that are all but unachievable in real life driving?

Can some kind soul please enlighten me and help me regain some faith in these organisations.

I think as times pass, expectations becomes higher and thus standards have to increase too.

Before air bags are standard to all cars, it was an additional safety feature for higher end cars back in the 90s.

Given the need to meet the buyers' desire for a low price, some of the newest 2018 cars have capitulated are are still offering only two airbags..

And many of the offerings from Kia and Honda fall into this category... 

Given the need to meet the buyers' desire for a low price, some of the newest 2018 cars have capitulated are are still offering only two airbags..

C/C deserves to be shot for Carens Ex ...

That's why people that want to try new mpvs go back to wish.

Nissan too is a offender.Treat us like crap unlike those downstairs with the features they give and safety

Thanks to the silly rules that have to reduce OMV to sell.

The day you dread is coming closer than you think. Singapore is testing self driving car and bus. In NTU, self driving mini-buses are deploy and testing in progress providing free shuttle service to MRT station.

Sometimes the rating agency also quite puzzling.

5 stars is dependent on things like lane departure warning.

Edited by Sdf4786k

Wanted to but cannot find unless pay high price for certain cars especially high end ones.  [:/]

Which type of car do you guys think is safer, in terms of surviving after hitting or getting hit? I am refering to body types like sedan, SUV, etc? Disregard the safety features like airbags, collison warnings, etc as these features are independent of body types.

And asumming the same brand and series of car.

For example, do you think a Volvo XC60 is safer or a S60 or even S90? Or no difference?

I currently prefer a sedan, but there might come a time in the future where I would place safety above anything else. SUVs?

↡ Advertisement