Singaporeans killed in Arizona highway accident

Jman888

This is what happens when the co-driver never slap the driver when he's starting to nod off. RIP.

Not to be mistaken. I'm not talking about the Singapore co-driver aka LTK.

• Praise 1

RIP

I have driven this route before. The journey from Las Vegas to GC is about 5 hours. I left my hotel 630 in the morning. Reach GC around 12 noon and I have only 4 and a half hours of daylight left. I left GC in a rush due to unfamiliar driving in the dark. Manage to reach LV at 930pm with all my energy drained. On My second trip, I stay one night at the national park and I believe I can manage better. The speed limit on this hwy is 65 - 75 mph. My advice for fellow drivers is don’t rush and squeeze all the itinerary too near. Relax and have sufficient rest in between.

• Praise 3

i took helicopter ride from LV to GC

approx 9-10 hours drive 2-way LV-GC-LV is a serious test to any driver (armature, season or experienced)

even the day trip bus ride is sibei tired

Edited by Wt_know

i took helicopter ride from LV to GC

approx 9-10 hours drive 2-way LV-GC-LV is a serious test to any driver (armature, season or experienced)

even the day trip bus ride is sibei tired

I think main reason is most people drive from LA to lv anyway. So their thought is might as well make use of the car.

Sometimes it's not just tiredness. Boredom may be another cause also

This is where the driver must be aware that he must then take a pit stop

• Praise 2

The thing is, most people will still choose to self-drive iin foreign land for free and easy sight seeing, whether it is USA or Japan or wherever. It is part of the activity.

For 30 years I have resisted the idea of self drive in foreign land.  The problem is that I can be careful, I can be fresh and awake, but I will never know enough of the road culture, road condition and habits of other drivers in a foreign land. And that itself is dangerous enough for me.

I think taking bus and train can be equally fun. 

Edited by Icedbs
  • Praise 1

Thatz what i experienced in Jeju, SK. Took three flights + change of airport to get there. Then got to drive 30+km to see sunrise peak and 30+km to the hotel.

Driving to the POI was ok. But driving to the hotel in dark and passenger sleeping was a torture for me. Lucky nothing happened.

• Praise 2

For 30 years I have resisted the idea of self drive in foreign land.  The problem is that I can be careful, I can be fresh and awake, but I will never know enough of the road culture, road condition and habits of other drivers in a foreign land. And that itself is dangerous enough for me.

I think taking bus and train can be equally fun. 

There is always risks in driving, especially highways. you can be extra careful but the other drivers you have no control. I have self driven in Scotland, Australia, etc, generally the drivers there are courteous and they follow the laws. 

Avoid night driving as the tendency to dose off is higher. Navigator should keep talking to the driver or at least provide something to munch  [:p] 

Most important of all, don't rush and if you missed, make a turn at a safe location. That half an hour can make a big difference.  

• Praise 5

Mr Justin Yeo Jun Xi, 22, was among the top A-level graduates in Dunman High School in 2013, and received the SAF Merit Scholarship in 2015. His sister Justlyn Yeo Jing Hui was the sole survivor in the silver Hyundai the Yeo family was travelling in.

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/saf-scholar-among-dead-in-us-car-crash?xtor=EREC-16-1%5BST_Newsletter_AM%5D-20171228-%5BSAF+scholar+among+dead+in+US+car+crash%5D&xts=538291

• Praise 2

Sometimes on mcf i see some ppl post their driving itinerary oso i pengsan

Trying to rush & cover too much within a day kinda defeats the purpose of a 'holiday' doesn't it?

• Praise 3

Not saying this is the case this time but we Singaporeans seem to look on long drives whether in Malaysia, Australia, USA or Europe as fun, jolly drives. 

Maybe because a 30 minute drive in Singapore at 90kph is about the max we can hope for here.

We have really no idea what longer drives comprise and no idea how to plan for them.

• Praise 1

SAF and RSAF should make it compulsory for all detachment or overseas students to be trained on fatigue assessment and have seniors to go through all driving tips, do and don't.

This case the deceased was second year student. So likely could be familiar with driving in USA.

RIP to all deceased. Including the Spanish driver.

Not saying this is the case this time but we Singaporeans seem to look on long drives whether in Malaysia, Australia, USA or Europe as fun, jolly drives.

Maybe because a 30 minute drive in Singapore at 90kph is about the max we can hope for here.

We have really no idea what longer drives comprise and no idea how to plan for them.

It is extremely difficult to fall asleep at the wheels in SG. It’s difficult to find animals dashing across the road. There are no crosswinds in Spore.. the list goes on..

It is extremely difficult to fall asleep at the wheels in SG. It’s difficult to find animals dashing across the road. There are no crosswinds in Spore.. the list goes on..

You have not tried working 24 or 36 hours before? Must be very lucky. I worked 24hrs non-stop before. Only breaks were the 1hr lunch and dinner. Damn shacked after ending the 24hr shift.

SAF and RSAF should make it compulsory for all detachment or overseas students to be trained on fatigue assessment and have seniors to go through all driving tips, do and don't.

This case the deceased was second year student. So likely could be familiar with driving in USA.

RIP to all deceased. Including the Spanish driver.

Why should SAF step in when it is a private holiday?

We need less government not big government. I don't want the SAF to harass me and tell me if I should use a sitting toilet or a squating one.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 5