Singaporeans killed in Arizona highway accident

Jman888

Not saying this is the case this time but we Singaporeans seem to look on long drives whether in Malaysia, Australia, USA or Europe as fun, jolly drives.

Maybe because a 30 minute drive in Singapore at 90kph is about the max we can hope for here.

We have really no idea what longer drives comprise and no idea how to plan for them.

On company training in the US i knew a local guy who drove 100miles to work each way, and he enjoyed it.

Thats about 320km per day.

Wonder what is long drive to him.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

What has this got to do with SAF or RSAF?

This is a personal trip and their personal responsibility leh.

SAF and RSAF should make it compulsory for all detachment or overseas students to be trained on fatigue assessment and have seniors to go through all driving tips, do and don't.

This case the deceased was second year student. So likely could be familiar with driving in USA.

RIP to all deceased. Including the Spanish driver.

• Praise 1

It is extremely difficult to fall asleep at the wheels in SG. It’s difficult to find animals dashing across the road. There are no crosswinds in Spore.. the list goes on..

Are you sure? Try having a heavy lunch and drive in the hot afternoon with full ac blowing on your face. The sun blinds you and you start to close your eyes. it happen to me along AYE and i almost hit the car in front.

Very often, drivers are distracted by falling objects placed on the dashboard. this is also something to avoid. 

You have not tried working 24 or 36 hours before? Must be very lucky. I worked 24hrs non-stop before. Only breaks were the 1hr lunch and dinner. Damn shacked after ending the 24hr shift.

I played 48 hours mahjong before [laugh]
  • Praise 1

Thatz what i experienced in Jeju, SK. Took three flights + change of airport to get there. Then got to drive 30+km to see sunrise peak and 30+km to the hotel.

Driving to the POI was ok. But driving to the hotel in dark and passenger sleeping was a torture for me. Lucky nothing happened.

Last year on a trip to Perth, i was in for a surprise:

Took morning (direct) flight, reached Perth at local time about 3 pm, after about 5-6 hr flight. Went to pick up rental car, and was ready to drive off around 5+pm. Took a while as we went to buy SIM card after arrival, then waited for the rental pick-up (as the company was not at the airport -- we booked too late and airport ones do not have what we needed anymore...).

The rental people looked a little surprised when my wife - who planned the trip - told then we where we were heading to when they asked.

Then i found out why.

Our destination - after about two-third of the day gone - was near Bunbury, about 180 km away. It was evening peak hours and nightfall was approaching. My elderly parents were with us on the trips, so it was necessary to arrange for toilet breaks, dinner, etc.

And of course, it was first time there. The kids and my folks all fell asleep at some points of the ride. Only wife stayed awake to help with navigation.

I think the only reason why i (we) made it was the adrenaline rush on the first leg of the trip, plus constantly reminding myself that i have a total of 6 lives on my hands at that time...

We finally reached our destination at around 8.45 pm, taking about 3 hr. I admit that I had sped in darkness on some stretches, but it was a calculated risk as i was worried that my folks would have needed more stops if i didn't...

Definitely not recommended.

• Praise 1

always plan your trip carefully, do not overstayed at one place until you have to rush to the next destination, try to reach before sun down.

I dun go for long distance drive after touch down, stay in the city that you arrive for a night before moving further.

• Praise 1

Last year on a trip to Perth, i was in for a surprise:

Took morning (direct) flight, reached Perth at local time about 3 pm, after about 5-6 hr flight. Went to pick up rental car, and was ready to drive off around 5+pm. Took a while as we went to buy SIM card after arrival, then waited for the rental pick-up (as the company was not at the airport -- we booked too late and airport ones do not have what we needed anymore...).

The rental people looked a little surprised when my wife - who planned the trip - told then we where we were heading to when they asked.

Then i found out why.

Our destination - after about two-third of the day gone - was near Bunbury, about 180 km away. It was evening peak hours and nightfall was approaching. My elderly parents were with us on the trips, so it was necessary to arrange for toilet breaks, dinner, etc.

And of course, it was first time there. The kids and my folks all fell asleep at some points of the ride. Only wife stayed awake to help with navigation.

I think the only reason why i (we) made it was the adrenaline rush on the first leg of the trip, plus constantly reminding myself that i have a total of 6 lives on my hands at that time...

We finally reached our destination at around 8.45 pm, taking about 3 hr. I admit that I had sped in darkness on some stretches, but it was a calculated risk as i was worried that my folks would have needed more stops if i didn't...

Definitely not recommended.

The Jeju road was filled with speed cameras. Every 1 to 2 km, there is one. And speed limit was 50/60km/hr only. Driving at that speed for 30+km was a pain. Esp at night and left hand drive! Really challenging.

i won't drive at night in most countries. unless it's somewhere in the cities. or just a short drive between motel/hotel and eating place.

I was driving on one of the trunk roads at margaret river at night. Lol totally pitch black, had to switch on high beam to see more than 30m in front of the car.

The next night, i made sure to go out and tabao earlier so that only the last part was in total darkness.

i think sometimes it's the fact that we don't really want to do pit stops.

When i went USA in new england or NZ, so fun to do random pit stops off the free way.

But in australia, i thought i will do the same but in the end the freeway is so far from each individual town, then it's totally not worth it to go do such random rest breaks. So in the end powered through and drove continuously for 2hr 45mins 

I'm guessing arizona is the same situation.

A few things to point out, just to share:

1) If you are new to somewhere (even for some places in SG), avoid night driving. 

2) If it is winter, days are very short. After 4-5pm, it's pitch dark.

3) 180km in NSHW might not be the same 180km elsewhere. However people here like to complain about NSHW, it is in comparison is very well lit in many places, and 2-4 lanes pretty much throughout is very wide for a long expressway. Try to find out about road conditions, if not then ask the rental company staff.

4) Did you drink while in flight ? If so, you might not want to do so know you will be driving upon landing.

5) If arriving near dinner time, just relax and have dinner at your destination city and stay for the night. Don't save on hotel stay. It's after all a vacation. You will be paying one night extra for the car anyway.

6) Don't leave planning of a road trip to someone who is not going to drive the planned route or will rarely drive. I always check my wife's plans, and add in or shift rest stops. 

The best thing about road trip is that, you don't even have to plan your itinerary down to the detail. Just plan a general direction, and stop at any bed & breakfast for the night.

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 1

SAF and RSAF should make it compulsory for all detachment or overseas students to be trained on fatigue assessment and have seniors to go through all driving tips, do and don't.

This case the deceased was second year student. So likely could be familiar with driving in USA.

RIP to all deceased. Including the Spanish driver.

I disagree.

People should take responsibility for their own decisions and actions. If long distance driving training is required, how about choosing a safe place to live? Or what food to eat? 

These are adults not kids, if they need nanny-ing to get through their lives, well, my signature says it all.

• Praise 1

Can only say such incidents are becoming too common nowadays; Even so many times with RHD (same as our side) it has happened in Aus/NZ and across the Causeway and LHD also we hear from time to time in US/Europe;(Japan we dont hear much 'cos of their strict speed limit and I guess with the unfamiliarity with the Lingo) The European/American/Oz/Kiwi roads are just too tempting to drive 'cos they look so easy and this "free and easy" concept is catching up everywhere with easy technology of GPS and smart phones we Singaporeans are just hungry to get behind the wheels; When i was driving in Rome (my son was sitting next to me) and he would warn me from time to time that I was encroaching the other side of the lane marker - we are too RHD orientated so it takes not just a few hours of driving but a few days to get the "adjustment" right;

In Italy  recently ,,,, quite a number of times I hit the wheels in the car parks kerbs - lucky just the kerb touch never kenna the rims..My son pointed out that I was going to hit, after that I deflated the opposing side tyres a little so that the rims don't kenna so easily though it may make my fuel consumption a little higher; Driver side we have no issues; After we hit highway again inflate the tyres at petrol station              

• Praise 2

Why should SAF step in when it is a private holiday?

We need less government not big government. I don't want the SAF to harass me and tell me if I should use a sitting toilet or a squating one.

Overseas detachment and students are military personnel under Mindef.

They are still required to follow military guidelines laid out.

As someone who had overseas posting during my NS there were guidelines/ brief for newbies.

But the self assessment part is most difficult. Given the need to meet short timeline of any vacations.

It's for safety measures to remind on a regular basis. Not the mundane stuff you just quoted.

Edited by Atonchia

always plan your trip carefully, do not overstayed at one place until you have to rush to the next destination, try to reach before sun down.

I dun go for long distance drive after touch down, stay in the city that you arrive for a night before moving further.

Yah, now smarter already. 

First time, we took the car from airport, and it was day time when we reached, and distance to destination was not that far.

Second time was tough... Now we know never to repeat that pattern again.  [sweatdrop]

The Jeju road was filled with speed cameras. Every 1 to 2 km, there is one. And speed limit was 50/60km/hr only. Driving at that speed for 30+km was a pain. Esp at night and left hand drive! Really challenging.

Think on the bright side. At least it was only 30+ km and not longer...

but yes, add in the LHD and night time, then it's really tough.

I better remember this in case Fatty Kim turns peaceful and we should go to Korea in future  [laugh]

Not saying this is the case this time but we Singaporeans seem to look on long drives whether in Malaysia, Australia, USA or Europe as fun, jolly drives.

Maybe because a 30 minute drive in Singapore at 90kph is about the max we can hope for here.

We have really no idea what longer drives comprise and no idea how to plan for them.

Even in SG I can have that sleepy feeling and struggling to keep my eyes open.

After that either I don't drive to work if I had a late night, or leave office early to avoid a long boring peak traffic

In Europe, the city roads and parking lots are very narrow. There's a reason most Europeans drive small cars. Similarly in Japan, they make narrow mini vans for a reason. But a lot of Singaporeans like to drive big car when overseas.

I was driving a small ( regular) golf in Italy- anyway the roads there( city area) are quite narrow and cobbled ( so very bumpy ride) and the drivers are not too kind to give way usually..... like survival of the fittest kind ..... and yes lots of small cars there and Smart cars

• Praise 1

I disagree.

People should take responsibility for their own decisions and actions. If long distance driving training is required, how about choosing a safe place to live? Or what food to eat?

These are adults not kids, if they need nanny-ing to get through their lives, well, my signature says it all.

I totally agree people should take personal responsibilities.

I am still following the safety tips/ guidelines from what I learnt from RSAF when I go on any road trips longer than 3hrs of continuous driving.

There should still be safety training for all detachment / overseas students. But it's how to remind them to do self assessment each time.

Though this accident may not be due fatigue, but ensuring good safety practice will reduce risks.

Are you sure? Try having a heavy lunch and drive in the hot afternoon with full ac blowing on your face. The sun blinds you and you start to close your eyes. it happen to me along AYE and i almost hit the car in front.

Very often, drivers are distracted by falling objects placed on the dashboard. this is also something to avoid.

Same with me.

Maybe age catching up also..

A few things to point out, just to share:

1) If you are new to somewhere (even for some places in SG), avoid night driving. 

2) If it is winter, days are very short. After 4-5pm, it's pitch dark.

3) 180km in NSHW might not be the same 180km elsewhere. However people here like to complain about NSHW, it is in comparison is very well lit in many places, and 2-4 lanes pretty much throughout is very wide for a long expressway. Try to find out about road conditions, if not then ask the rental company staff.

4) Did you drink while in flight ? If so, you might not want to do so know you will be driving upon landing.

5) If arriving near dinner time, just relax and have dinner at your destination city and stay for the night. Don't save on hotel stay. It's after all a vacation. You will be paying one night extra for the car anyway.

6) Don't leave planning of a road trip to someone who is not going to drive the planned route or will rarely drive. I always check my wife's plans, and add in or shift rest stops. 

The best thing about road trip is that, you don't even have to plan your itinerary down to the detail. Just plan a general direction, and stop at any bed & breakfast for the night.

1) Yup, night driving is stressful. Good thing was at least i'd tried it on NSHW a couple of times (only) before in the past, and also did it a few times during our first Aussie trip, so it was not a complete shock...

2) Was really thankful that it was summer in Nov/Dec for Aust. There was still a bit of light at 7 pm, i recalled, but in like 15 min, it became totally dark. At least it wasn't like my recent trip to Tokyo, when it was lights off at 4.30 pm!  [laugh]

3) The highway there i recall, got stretches that were only single lane on each side, i think. Got long stretches without any lights. The good thing was that for the most part, there were other vehicles on the highways, both directions. So at least that gave some comfort, in knowing we're not lost.

4) Lucky i'm non-drinker. Allergic to alcohol - so that helps.

5) Yah, should have stayed at Perth first. I think wife didn't expect that we'll set off with the car so late. But the peak hours would have slowed us down in any case so it just wasn't ideal.

6) Ha ha... too lazy lor... always leave planning to wife. If try to stick a foot in, also worry that she finds me more of a hindrance. Then later push everything to me, i  [sweatdrop]

In our case, we do self-drive when my parents are with us. It's easier especially for my mother who is not v mobile. But with them around, will also mean need to plan more and avoid unnecessary surprises lor... 

i won't drive at night in most countries. unless it's somewhere in the cities. or just a short drive between motel/hotel and eating place.

I was driving on one of the trunk roads at margaret river at night. Lol totally pitch black, had to switch on high beam to see more than 30m in front of the car.

The next night, i made sure to go out and tabao earlier so that only the last part was in total darkness.

i think sometimes it's the fact that we don't really want to do pit stops.

When i went USA in new england or NZ, so fun to do random pit stops off the free way.

But in australia, i thought i will do the same but in the end the freeway is so far from each individual town, then it's totally not worth it to go do such random rest breaks. So in the end powered through and drove continuously for 2hr 45mins 

I'm guessing arizona is the same situation.

We went to Margaret River too. You're right, all dark dark one. In fact, other than the main cities and towns, everywhere else also dark...

• Praise 1

Overseas detachment and students are military personnel under Mindef.

They are still required to follow military guidelines laid out.

As someone who had overseas posting during my NS there were guidelines/ brief for newbies.

But the self assessment part is most difficult. Given the need to meet short timeline of any vacations.

It's for safety measures to remind on a regular basis. Not the mundane stuff you just quoted.

This is a private trip so does it really matter if they are considered military personnel?

During 2.5 years NS, we are all military personnel - why should SAF come and disturb what I do outside of camp and even outside of the country?

↡ Advertisement