Singapore Bicentennial 2019

kdash

PM Lee has announced that SG will "appropriately" commemorate 200 years of the founding of SG by Sir Stamford Raffles. a Singapore Bicentennial Office has been set up by garment to look into the activities for 2019, but will be smaller scale than SG50. 

S’pore to 'appropriately' commemorate its bicentennial in 2019, says PM Lee

https://www.todayonline.com/singapore/spore-appropriately-commemorate-its-bicentennial-2019-says-pm-lee

SINGAPORE — The Republic will "appropriately" commemorate the 200th anniversary of the landing of Sir Stamford Raffles when the "important milestone" is reached in 2019, said Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong.

Noting that Singapore had marked the 150th anniversary in 1969, Mr Lee said in his New Year message on Sunday (Dec 31) that the bicentennial is an occasion for Singaporeans to "reflect on how our nation came into being, how we have come this far since, and how we can go forward together".

As Singapore approaches its bicentennial, there have been spirited public discussions about whether the occasion should be commemorated, and in what ways. Some felt that it would be inappropriate to celebrate the country's colonial past, while others believe it is an opportunity for younger Singaporeans to learn about the country's history and multicultural roots.

S’pore Bicentennial in 2019 to recapture historic events from 720 years ago

https://www.todayonline.com/singapore/spore-bicentennial-2019-recapture-historic-events-720-years-ago

SINGAPORE — As the country prepares to face future challenges, it is important for Singaporeans to grasp its history, which goes back to 1299 at the least, and to understand the struggles in the earlier years.

This is what the Singapore Bicentennial in 2019 will aim to do: Offer a window into this past and what made modern Singapore possible, veteran historian Tan Tai Yong said at a press briefing last week.

Professor Tan is an advisory panel member for the anniversary event, which will mark 200 years since Sir Stamford Raffles arrived in Singapore in 1819.

Though it is billed as the "prequel" to Singapore's Golden Jubilee (SG50) in 2015 — meaning the events that paved the way for SG50 — the bicentennial will be on a "far smaller scale", Mr Gene Tan said. Mr Tan is the executive director of the Singapore Bicentennial Office, which was set up in the last quarter of this year, along with a 16-member advisory panel that includes Prof Tan, former senior parliamentary secretary Yatiman Yusof, film director Kelvin Tong and lawyer Sujatha Selvakumar.

Edited by kdash
↡ Advertisement

Twincharged

I scared wait after party and celebration over then we are told we have to 埋单...  [sweatdrop]

i don't think so ...

i think we are already starting to pay for it already ... LOL !!

• Praise 2

I scared wait after party and celebration over then we are told we have to åå... [sweatdrop]

not to worry, we will surely need to foot the bill
  • Praise 1

I scared wait after party and celebration over then we are told we have to åå... [sweatdrop]

Yalor

Yog lah rubbish bin lah

Responsible spending abit lah

• Praise 1

Yalor

Yog lah rubbish bin lah

Responsible spending abit lah

Since when this generation of govt spend our monies responsibility?

Since when this generation of govt spend our monies responsibility?

I don’t know man

The regular day to day stuff maybe lah

But these yog abd dustbin stuff is [thumbsdown]

• Praise 1

Seems like no one have posted anything about The Singapore Bicentennial Exhibition. Went there over the super long weekend with family, and I have to say it is a pretty good show and effort. :a-m1212:  :a-m1212:

Nothing too political, and LKY was only mentioned 2 - 3 times towards the later part of the act. Hope the relevant authority will give a serious consideration to make it a perm exhibit.

bCnJpfw.jpg

xMFMFqx.jpg

WxwWdeM.jpg

3xoaahl.jpg

iJuw10J.jpg

dpURH9l.jpg

EZKkH3B.jpg

i9baZm5.jpg

b6WX5hh.jpg

iZY7hJt.jpg

• Praise 5

The last part of the show when they stimulate the rain during one of the NDP which rain heavily is interesting, since they stimulated the rain starts from light rain to heavy rain and then stopped. My shoes almost got wet from the rain.  [sweatdrop]  [laugh]

• Praise 1

Wish i didn’t throw away my stamp collection

20 years ago, resume put hobby as stamp collection

Now Resume got kind of satki stuff like rock climbing, trading, bloging,

I think now if your resume you out stamp collection, I think saltiness + 99999

I wonder how many ppl will bother. We werent even born yet. It's literally like telling grandmother story.

You mean not many people bother to go watch this bicentennial exhibition?

Heard that all ushers were volunteers. Permanent exhibit means $$$...the live performers will be sian to do the same stunts and makeup...

Forgot to add...it’s free so it’s goode

Edited by mersaylee
↡ Advertisement