Hong Kong - A Night / Day through the New Year 2018

carloverguy2017

I was in HK and Macau for the first time, around the same time as you. Seriously I couldn't tell apart the PRCs until they spoke. Crappy thing is when you speak Mandarin to HKers they think you are PRC, and give you their infamous attitude. And my Cantonese sucks, don't dare to speak it, lest the tone of 搭飞机 and 打飞机 sounds the same.

My observation of HK people, they seem to have a lot of integrity, despite their curt attitude. Overall Macau was more pleasant than HK.

Talk to HK people in English lo. Lol. Definitely not advisable to talk in Mandarin in HK, cause they would treat you quite hostile like the PRC. 

↡ Advertisement

Talk to HK people in English lo. Lol. Definitely not advisable to talk in Mandarin in HK, cause they would treat you quite hostile like the PRC. 

And they will look at you as if you are some strange banana 鬼佬. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Better polish up my Cantonese before going there again.  [laugh]

And they will look at you as if you are some strange banana 鬼佬. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Better polish up my Cantonese before going there again.  [laugh]

Look at you at some strange banana rather than they look at you as if you are PRC lo. Many people in HK understand and speaks English de.

If you just speak broken SIngapore Mandarin, they sure know you are NOT PRC.

It's only when you try to pronounce words properly, like "Shi" and "Si" then they recognize you as PRC.

And a Lighter becomes  打火鸡 

↡ Advertisement