6-year-old girl dies after swimming lesson mishap at Kallang

Ender

Turbocharged

i will also be the same next time. but now have to be more vigilant as this case highlighted.

Most outsource to the trainer.

The child will swim thru the length of the pool. Parents won't walk up and down as the child swims.

Nobody expected this to happen. Rip..

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Most outsource to the trainer.

The child will swim thru the length of the pool. Parents won't walk up and down as the child swims.

Nobody expected this to happen. Rip..

also complacency right. Maybe first few times, parents kanchiong will do all these, then 8-10 lessons down the road? will u do that? i think really only the very careful/vigilant parent will do so.

Turbocharged

also complacency right. Maybe first few times, parents kanchiong will do all these, then 8-10 lessons down the road? will u do that? i think really only the very careful/vigilant parent will do so.

True true.

I don't walk up and down but my eyes will follow from where I sit at the bench.

I do lose sight at times but will scan immediately

It is very very important in Singapore to make your kids learn swimming

so many pools around, condo pool, seaside

even you don't stay condo sure got kids party 

I had one close scare right in front of my face

when kids were young, was in the Capella pool

the pool design is very dangerous for young kids. The adult pool and kids pool is separated by a wall that is just at the water surface

so the kids were on one side and we were on the other side

my kid was at the separator and just climbed over the divider easily. Immediately depth is 1.5 metre i think

so drop straight down

luckily we noticed immediately, still feel fear thinking back

if our back was turned at that moment will be terrible

• Praise 1

Both my kids take swimming lesson at this age also.

But I always make a point to be in the pool also whenever they have swimming lesson. I know the coach can't have eyes all over 12 kids with him.  :ignoring:

Same for another 3 more parents and we just chat beside the pool and at the same time, watch out for the group taking lesson even those are not out children.  -_-

Thought you in the pool is Bio-ing charbor one :XD:

I taught my children how to swim myself, all 3 of them. And it is always 1 on 1 when I teach them, we go into the pool together and out of the pool together.  I may not have taught them better than a swimming coach can do , but I personally know what is their abilities to survive in water. 

Swimmers will know that it is not all that easy to identify a drowning, and the person gets cover up by the water faster than anyone can expect, saving someone in the water is totally different from saving someone on dry land. 

If you got the time and the abilities to change and stay in the pool near to your kids, why cant you make the effort to teach your kids yourself? At least it is a skill that they will remember that was taught to them by their dad, a skill that who knows one day may save their life, or help save another life. 

Whenever their classmates came over to play in the pool, most of the time they will ask my kids how they know how to swim. Standard answer "my daddy teach one", and standard reply " wah your daddy so good".  That feeling is priceless!!!  ^_^  ^_^  ^_^

• Praise 4

Yeah sure but when u swimming u won't pay attention right. I used to swim like few laps while my kids played at the wading pool but there was once my girl walked over to the adult pool before my wife could stop her to kaypoh what I was doing. So I stopped doing that. Cos my wife also need to eyes on the younger one.

when you are swimming laps, most of the time you wont even notice what is happening 2 m away from you, talking about what is happening in another pool.  [laugh]  [laugh]  [laugh]

The pool is totally a different place from a stadium track or a park.  [:p]

The Singapore Civil Defence Force confirmed it was alerted to "a case of drowning" at the swimming complex at about 7.20pm on Dec 20. A female was sent to Tan Tock Seng Hospital in an unconscious state, said SCDF. 

didn't mention the exact timing but i guess could be around 6pm+.

do they still having lesson at that hour?

The public pool I go to, normally all kids swimming lessons ends at 6pm. 

Adults swimming lessons start at 6 or 7pm.

I taught my children how to swim myself, all 3 of them. And it is always 1 on 1 when I teach them, we go into the pool together and out of the pool together.  I may not have taught them better than a swimming coach can do , but I personally know what is their abilities to survive in water. 

Swimmers will know that it is not all that easy to identify a drowning, and the person gets cover up by the water faster than anyone can expect, saving someone in the water is totally different from saving someone on dry land. 

If you got the time and the abilities to change and stay in the pool near to your kids, why cant you make the effort to teach your kids yourself? At least it is a skill that they will remember that was taught to them by their dad, a skill that who knows one day may save their life, or help save another life. 

Whenever their classmates came over to play in the pool, most of the time they will ask my kids how they know how to swim. Standard answer "my daddy teach one", and standard reply " wah your daddy so good".  That feeling is priceless!!!  ^_^  ^_^  ^_^

i tried to teach my wife to swim but i think didn't work out well. She can barely swim  [laugh]

i tried to teach my wife to swim but i think didn't work out well. She can barely swim  [laugh]

will take a little more time for adults lor, children learn faster and also because they not malu one.

Children you scold them they still lanlan need to carry on, wife you scold her she will pack up and say " 我不要学了". 

When i taught my wife (then still GF) how to swim, we always hide at one corner at the lowest point of the pool. And always go on weekday afternoon when the pool was quite empty.   [laugh] [laugh]  [laugh]

Edited by Tianmo

I suggest try and teach your kids yourself first, it is also a form of bonding.

At least get the basic, and if want something more advance or want some papers,  the professionals can come in later.  ^_^

At least get the basic, and if want something more advance or want some papers,  the professionals can come in later.  ^_^

I'm ok teaching my girl. She's not difficult to teach but I want her to meet more other kids at her classes. Learn how to more sociable.

She's kinda of a loner and she's the oldest grandchild by 2 years + also. I'm too busy to meet up with my friends for playdates and she's again the oldest also.

Like music class, there's no real interaction. Her preschool class is already same group for years liao.

Edited by Lala81

I think coach teach better. They can correct the strokes immediately. I watch the coach teach those kids swimming, should be in advance stage liao, cos swimming in adult pool. Always shouting at the kids on the proper technique. The parents on the side just looks on only.

Me relac one corner after a few laps and steal learn a bit. [laugh]

- Freestyle, the way u tilt ur head for breath, the way u pull ur hands.

- Breast stroke, the way u lift ur head out of water. The timing of ur breath.

- The coach always shouting to count, not sure what they counting.

- The coach dont make them swim the whole length of the pool. Only half then correct their mistakes and the swim back.

So I think not bad if got such swim coach to teach proper techniques from the beginning.

• Praise 1

It is very very important in Singapore to make your kids learn swimming

so many pools around, condo pool, seaside

even you don't stay condo sure got kids party

I had one close scare right in front of my face

when kids were young, was in the Capella pool

the pool design is very dangerous for young kids. The adult pool and kids pool is separated by a wall that is just at the water surface

so the kids were on one side and we were on the other side

my kid was at the separator and just climbed over the divider easily. Immediately depth is 1.5 metre i think

so drop straight down

luckily we noticed immediately, still feel fear thinking back

if our back was turned at that moment will be terrible

True. I believe the number of close shaves like yours number in the thousands annually given the pools we have. Thats why for my kids the very first external lesson they take is always swimming starting from 3 yrs old. I myself had a close shave drowning in a deep pool when i was about 10. Luckily a friend reached out from the side pulled me to him when i was about to submerge for the last time. Wasnt my time yet. Saved my parents a bucket of tears.

check out the pool wall dividing the kids side and adults side that is below the surface

I called the hotel after that, not sure if they improved it since then

post-99939-0-73770600-1515738091_thumb.jpg

• Praise 2

I'm ok teaching my girl. She's not difficult to teach but I want her to meet more other kids at her classes. Learn how to more sociable.

She's kinda of a loner and she's the oldest grandchild by 2 years + also. I'm too busy to meet up with my friends for playdates and she's again the oldest also.

Like music class, there's no real interaction. Her preschool class is already same group for years liao.

Mayb thats her character, may not be a bad thing also. But i am sure as she grows up, she will find her own gang of friends.  ^_^

Twincharged

My wife was talking to me about this pool this morning cuz this is the pool she almost drowned at when she was in Primary 1. Luckily got lifeguard save her.

I think coach teach better. They can correct the strokes immediately. I watch the coach teach those kids swimming, should be in advance stage liao, cos swimming in adult pool. Always shouting at the kids on the proper technique. The parents on the side just looks on only.

Me relac one corner after a few laps and steal learn a bit. [laugh]

- Freestyle, the way u tilt ur head for breath, the way u pull ur hands.

- Breast stroke, the way u lift ur head out of water. The timing of ur breath.

- The coach always shouting to count, not sure what they counting.

- The coach dont make them swim the whole length of the pool. Only half then correct their mistakes and the swim back.

So I think not bad if got such swim coach to teach proper techniques from the beginning.

But all these techniques not much use unless the child wants to go swim competitively? I went for all these swimming lessons when I was young but by now, forgot all of them already. Swim like everyone else that learnt how to swim from their parents.

My wife was talking to me about this pool this morning cuz this is the pool she almost drowned at when she was in Primary 1. Luckily got lifeguard save her.

But all these techniques not much use unless the child wants to go swim competitively? I went for all these swimming lessons when I was young but by now, forgot all of them already. Swim like everyone else that learnt how to swim from their parents.

Me too, learnt swimming at this pool last time in 1989 when I was sec1. Compulsory swimming lesson by school.

I didnt have such personalised coaching before. My swimming skills came from my swimming lessons in Sec 1 and from PTI in the Navy.

↡ Advertisement