6-year-old girl dies after swimming lesson mishap at Kallang

Ender

taking up swimming ?

the pool and instructor should have the parents signed an indemnity form against accidental death and other liabilities.

↡ Advertisement

RIP... reminder to self to always be vigilant with our kids and not to drop our guard. 

although i am personally a lousy swimmer (beginner classes in pri sch, sec sch, JC, army), i acknowledge and agree that swimming is a very important life skill, and will definitely ensure that my kids take up and be proficient. 

• Praise 1

Doing warm up exercises before swimming is important too as it stretches the muscles and reduce the probability of cramps, especially leg cramps, to avoid such mishaps.

Swimming is a very important skill for everyone to have.

Like riding a bicycle or driving.

You never know when you're going to need it.

Unfortunately, in this case, something went wrong.

The class is probably overstretched with inadequate supervision.

Edited by Kb27
  • Praise 1

tmd, this pool i always go since i was little. last 2 yrs also occasionally bring my kids go, bo lang one. It has got to be the most BO LANG pool in whole of SG.... instructor sleeping issit! 

RIP... reminder to self to always be vigilant with our kids and not to drop our guard.

although i am personally a lousy swimmer (beginner classes in pri sch, sec sch, JC, army), i acknowledge and agree that swimming is a very important life skill, and will definitely ensure that my kids take up and be proficient.

I'm worse. I only know breaststroke. I learnt myself. Nobody taught me. I think as long as we know how to stay afloat can liao?

For kids it is definitely important for them to learn swimming.

BTW it is compulsory for all primary schools to conduct Basic Water Survival Skills for the lower primary students.

• Praise 4

My wife was talking to me about this pool this morning cuz this is the pool she almost drowned at when she was in Primary 1. Luckily got lifeguard save her.

But all these techniques not much use unless the child wants to go swim competitively? I went for all these swimming lessons when I was young but by now, forgot all of them already. Swim like everyone else that learnt how to swim from their parents.

Water confidence prevents panic. Unless there's adverse conditions at sea or what (like riptide) I know I can always swim. If you are just a weak swimmer, like my wife and her siblings, they never really feel comfortable in the water
  • Praise 2

At the very least, everyone should learn how to stay afloat.

It's a survival skill.

1. Tread water, kicking down on water with your sole, foot arched back.

2. Moving about in deep water

3. Breathing technique, breath out in water, breath in when nose/mouth above water.

There's no need to know how to swim fancy butterfly strokes, but learn enough to keep you alive, from drowning.

• Praise 2

Turbocharged

will take a little more time for adults lor, children learn faster and also because they not malu one.

Children you scold them they still lanlan need to carry on, wife you scold her she will pack up and say " æä¸è¦å­¦äº".

When i taught my wife (then still GF) how to swim, we always hide at one corner at the lowest point of the pool. And always go on weekday afternoon when the pool was quite empty. [laugh] [laugh] [laugh]

pls hor, that one is your evil scheme, not call swimming :D

no matter how well the kids can swim, I always remind n emphasize to my kids to RESPECT the water regardless of the depth.

• Praise 1

Water confidence prevents panic. Unless there's adverse conditions at sea or what (like riptide) I know I can always swim. If you are just a weak swimmer, like my wife and her siblings, they never really feel comfortable in the water

The snorkeling at sentosa waterpark, I panicked liao when I went into the colder salted water. Even I had a life jacket, I found myself unable to control my breathin and trying to stay afloat. Took me a few minutes to get accustomed.

I think coach teach better. They can correct the strokes immediately. I watch the coach teach those kids swimming, should be in advance stage liao, cos swimming in adult pool. Always shouting at the kids on the proper technique. The parents on the side just looks on only.

Me relac one corner after a few laps and steal learn a bit. [laugh]

- Freestyle, the way u tilt ur head for breath, the way u pull ur hands.

- Breast stroke, the way u lift ur head out of water. The timing of ur breath.

- The coach always shouting to count, not sure what they counting.

- The coach dont make them swim the whole length of the pool. Only half then correct their mistakes and the swim back.

So I think not bad if got such swim coach to teach proper techniques from the beginning.

Lol so I am not the only one "stealing" tips from the coaches.

pls hor, that one is your evil scheme, not call swimming :D

no matter how well the kids can swim, I always remind n emphasize to my kids to RESPECT the water regardless of the depth.

KNN, YDCB!!! <_<  [laugh]

And yah, RESPECT the water!!!!  [thumbsup]  [thumbsup]  [thumbsup]

Supersonic

I very kiasi.   When my kids were toddlers, I hired a swim coach to give 1-on-1 lessons to them.  Older kid first for 1 hrs, then younger kid for 1 hrs.  Even then, I was in the pool keeping an eye out all the time. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4