Family trip in Eastern Europe 2017

Wind30

15 nights. Frankly I have never been to places like Paris or Rome for quite a few years. Expensive, crowded and rude service cuz they dislike China tourist... this trip Prague was by far the most crowded city. I really liked kosice. Cheap and quiet. The pics from kosice is really nice because it snowed. My advice is avoid places like Paris Rome and try Poland slovakia and Hungary.

But having said that I have booked my 2018 Dec tickets to Paris.... because we are thinking of giving the French countryside a shot

I never include Makan but makan cost is really not higher than singapore. Probably cheaper for Budapest and kosice.

Stay in Singapore also must eat what so not considered additional cost.

I usually rent Apartments so we cook sometimes. Simple stuff like herbal chicken soup or bahkuteh.

Appreciate the advice. Guess I should start planning.  :D

↡ Advertisement

(edited)

Next city is budapest.

Woke up early and reach fisherman bastion in time for sunrise.... very quiet before the hoards of tour groups descend on this place. 

Europe_prague_08.jpg

Europe_prague_10.jpg

Europe_prague_09.jpg

Europe_prague_11.jpg

Europe_prague_12.jpg

Edited by Wind30
  • Praise 4

Probably around 10k for family of 4.

Airfare 3.5k from Lufthansa Super promotion

Lodging 4.5k

Land transport 1k

Misc 1k

Good saving
  • Praise 3

Depends on context. For some that could be 2 to 3 months salary

It used to be more expensive to travel there,so it is relatively affordable now.

Air travel used to be prohibitively expensive,where only people with few tens of thousands (in today dollars) can take planes

Edited by Brass
  • Praise 2

Outside Budapest Parliament building

Europe_prague_13.jpg

We attending Hungarian Circus which is pretty old school and interesting. They have elephant trick. 

Europe_prague_14.jpg

Outside the circus

Europe_prague_15.jpg

Supermarket shopping. This is probably the number one attraction which we spent the most time in :) The milka chocolate was nice and cheap.

Europe_prague_16.jpg

Budapest train station

Europe_prague_17.jpg

Depends on context. For some that could be 2 to 3 months salary

I think it is VERY cheap if you compared it to the Europe tour packages our local travel agencies sell

• Praise 1

Probably around 10k for family of 4.

Airfare 3.5k from Lufthansa Super promotion

Lodging 4.5k

Land transport 1k

Misc 1k

That's a very reasonable price esp the airfare and a worthwhile holiday for family of 4 to reach an exotic destination though I suppose Eastern Europe is not as exotic as in the past but nevertheless less commercialized than Western Europe but they catching up n hence best to go ASAP.

• Praise 3

I think it is VERY cheap if you compared it to the Europe tour packages our local travel agencies sell

I think the responses to my comment is missing my point

Spending $10,000 on a holiday for 14 days in Europe can be considered a good price

my point was never about whether it is a good price in comparison to tour package etc.

My comment was to the line "That is actually really affordable"

There are many families to which spending $10,000 on a holiday (regardless of location) is a dream

It is not considered affordable to them. And I would think there are many around.

so my point is "really affordable" must be taken in context

If one is fortunate enough to find spending $10,000 in 15 days "really affordable" and "very cheap", then we must be grateful for the blessing

but also be empathetic enough to know that there are others who don't find it so because of their circumstances

Edited by Aventador
  • Praise 4

That's a very reasonable price esp the airfare and a worthwhile holiday for family of 4 to reach an exotic destination though I suppose Eastern Europe is not as exotic as in the past but nevertheless less commercialized than Western Europe but they catching up n hence best to go ASAP.

Prague is already as bad as Paris I think... Budapest is getting pretty crowded. I think Poland is still pretty ok. Slovakia is probably the best value for money now but they don’t have the BIG buildings like Budapest or krakow. But they have mountains, castle, snow and Ang mo buildings. CHEAP and nice food.

This June I am planning Russia and Baltic states. Russia is very expensive because of the World Cup. I think I made a mistake going during that time. Lodging is like 700 sgd a night in Moscow....

Going to make it up by spending more time in the Baltics

Your old like "Sepia" photos look good and very clear 

Took a trip to eastern Europe in 2017. 

Below are some of my pics. Used some black and white processing. Does it look good?

1. Vienna

prague01.jpg

2. Budapest

3. Budapest Train station

4. Krakow

5. Krakow

• Praise 2

Prague is already as bad as Paris I think... Budapest is getting pretty crowded. I think Poland is still pretty ok. Slovakia is probably the best value for money now but they donât have the BIG buildings like Budapest or krakow. But they have mountains, castle, snow and Ang mo buildings. CHEAP and nice food.

This June I am planning Russia and Baltic states. Russia is very expensive because of the World Cup. I think I made a mistake going during that time. Lodging is like 700 sgd a night in Moscow....

Going to make it up by spending more time in the Baltics

Thought of going to Russia last Dec but the tour agent said year end too cold for us not suitable. Share your experience and photos when you return.
  • Praise 3

Took a trip to eastern Europe in 2017. 

Below are some of my pics. Used some black and white processing. Does it look good?

1. Vienna

prague01.jpg

2. Budapest

prague02.jpg

3. Budapest Train station

prague03.jpg

4. Krakow

prague04.jpg

5. Krakow

prague05.jpg

Love the Sepia look, very classic.  [thumbsup]

:D

• Praise 1

Next city is Kosice in Slovakia. We chose Kosice instead of the capitol Bratislava because the pics of Bratislava looks very industrial. 

Tried this resturant Med Melina based on recommendations from both our hotel and trip advisor. It is REALLY good and cheap. The apple pie was really nice. Tried to go again on another day at 4pm and it was like fully booked.... 

Europe_prague_18.jpg

Below are all shots taken around the Kosice Town center with the christmas market. There is literally like ZERO chinese in the entire town... 

Europe_prague_20.jpg

Europe_prague_21.jpg

Europe_prague_22.jpg

Europe_prague_23.jpg

Europe_prague_24.jpg

I think the responses to my comment is missing my point

Spending $10,000 on a holiday for 14 days in Europe can be considered a good price

my point was never about whether it is a good price in comparison to tour package etc.

My comment was to the line "That is actually really affordable"

There are many families to which spending $10,000 on a holiday (regardless of location) is a dream

It is not considered affordable to them. And I would think there are many around.

so my point is "really affordable" must be taken in context

If one is fortunate enough to find spending $10,000 in 15 days "really affordable" and "very cheap", then we must be grateful for the blessing

but also be empathetic enough to know that there are others who don't find it so because of their circumstances

To be fair to TS, we need to quote our context as TS posted in this forum.

In this forum most of us would go on holiday every year, and I think spending $10k for a family of 4 in Europe over 15 days is considered cheap and affordable for many here.

​Not that I am not sensitive about the less-privileged. We should always be mindful of the less-privileged amongst us, definitely, but don't think the members here belong to that category.

Buying the cheapest car in Singapore is easily $70k. That would be many many months of salaries for those less-privileged families. And to think that some here, if not many, pay in cash and are getting much more expensive cars! So, relax lah.

• Praise 1

I took my first aeroplane at the age of 20 and that was a sponsored flight.

It was really not a big deal to me even though my classmates go for holiday vacation overseas but I never ....

Unless your family really have serious financial troubles, as Long as got food to eat, got house to stay, go school to go, most people are happy already.

• Praise 1

Buying the cheapest car in Singapore is easily $70k. That would be many many months of salaries for those less-privileged families. And to think that some here, if not many, pay in cash and are getting much more expensive cars! So, relax lah.

The nice thing about MCF is that there is a wide cross section of Singaporeans here

some are better off "full cash" type, but there are also those that find cars a big expense, but need it for whatever reasons - work/family. And some don't own cars too.

As we have read recently, the biggest divide now in Singapore is actually the class divide, and I can see it really is a problem

I advocate that those who are fortunate be grateful, and also empathise that there are others who are finding it tough

So lets not relax about this , for a better Singapore.

The nice thing about MCF is that there is a wide cross section of Singaporeans here

some are better off "full cash" type, but there are also those that find cars a big expense, but need it for whatever reasons - work/family. And some don't own cars too.

As we have read recently, the biggest divide now in Singapore is actually the class divide, and I can see it really is a problem

I advocate that those who are fortunate be grateful, and also empathise that there are others who are finding it tough

So lets not relax about this , for a better Singapore.

I understand perfectly where you are coming from, that that does not mean every time someone used such words like "cheap" or "affordable", we must jump in to remind them of the less-privileged around us. Let them enjoy the fruits of the labour that they deserve after working so hard. Lets leave the politics aside. Else you will be very busy going all over the forum being a moral policeman, not to mention affecting the mood of people sharing in the discussion.. 

On a side note, I am really amazed that $10k can go so far, thought Asia is the limit with this money haha. 

Ok lets not distract the good sharing here by TS. I will not post any more here.

↡ Advertisement