Which is the best value family car?

car_Boy_75

Hi friends!

Since the COE dropped i guess it's time to replace my family car!

i have 2 kids and 1 helper - all quite big sized, hence not looking for cars like Attrage..

Wanted the Impreza 1.6 but Subaru stopped bringing this in to SG :(

My budget is around 75-90k and these are my research results:

Sylphy - nice looking, good interior, but seems like a lot of problems ie gearbox issues and bad fc (from what i read here).. or can anyone say otherwise?

Altis - the base model is 95k which is very ex..., but reliable and spacious

Sienta - seriously considering this.

K3 - Spacious, cheaper than the rest, but bad fc and this is a very old model..

Eltantra - not many comments about this car, seems spacious too.

Any opinions from the experts here?

↡ Advertisement

Have u test driven an Altis? I love the drive, I bought a brand new Altis for my dad, he’s loving it!!!

Good resale value if u decide to change car. U lose less $, and u save on petrol. In long run, u may be better off than Koreans car.

No headache, super reliable. Before I bought my dad the new Altis, he did not service his old Altis from the 8th year till scrap!!!! The car made all kinds of funny noise, but continue to run till scrap date.... THIS IS RELIABILITY. .....Honda also cannot beat this standard. We got a few old Honda b4, we know.... lots of problem when Honda becomes old.

Got 1 honest Toyota sales person told me Sienta not safe. U better check crash test results b4 buying.

• Praise 2

Have u test driven an Altis? I love the drive, I bought a brand new Altis for my dad, he’s loving it!!!

Good resale value if u decide to change car. U lose less $, and u save on petrol. In long run, u may be better off than Koreans car.

No headache, super reliable. Before I bought my dad the new Altis, he did not service his old Altis from the 8th year till scrap!!!! The car made all kinds of funny noise, but continue to run till scrap date.... THIS IS RELIABILITY. .....Honda also cannot beat this standard. We got a few old Honda b4, we know.... lots of problem when Honda becomes old.

Got 1 honest Toyota sales person told me Sienta not safe. U better check crash test results b4 buying.

Not really concerned about resale value as this will probably my last car.. gonna drive for 10 yrs and extend the COE,.. if i live that long..

Twincharged

Not really concerned about resale value as this will probably my last car.. gonna drive for 10 yrs and extend the COE,.. if i live that long..

If you aren't concerned about resale value then I think the Korean cars will be the best value for money. 

• Praise 2

Then probably you should get a Sienta. 7 seater mini MPV .

• Praise 1

Any opinions of sylphy?

Decent family car but I won't go for its looks.

You should go test drive it for the feel.

• Praise 1

Any opinions of sylphy?

I owned the last generation Sylphy. Loved it.  

On refinement, it felt a cut above its class, including comparisons to the then Altis,  Mazda 3 and Honda Civic.  That time did not even consider a Korean as Hyundai/Kia was not very good back then. Mind you, it was slow as molasses, with the 0-100 timing of slightly faster than a e-scooter. But the CVT transmission was smooth as silk and the sound insulation was better than its comp set. 

More importantly, it had massive legroom in the rear, a top in class boot size, fantastically comfortable sofa like seats, and a host of features many cars in its comps set did not have in 2006 - stuff like keyless entry, in built GPS etc. And it turned out to be very reliable. 

Would heartily recommend the Sylphy for the practicality, the refinement and reliability, but not sure if the current gen version holds the same advantages over its comp set. 

A side note - it was a big thing for me to choose the Sylphy over the Altis back then because I was a massive Toyota fanboy, having owned 2 second hand Camrys prior to that and loving both for the famous Toyota reliability.

Edited by Fungyee77
  • Praise 2

I owned the last generation Sylphy. Loved it.  

On refinement, it felt a cut above its class, including comparisons to the then Altis,  Mazda 3 and Honda Civic.  That time did not even consider a Korean as Hyundai/Kia was not very good back then. Mind you, it was slow as molasses, with the 0-100 timing of slightly faster than a e-scooter. But the CVT transmission was smooth as silk and the sound insulation was better than its comp set. 

More importantly, it had massive legroom in the rear, a top in class boot size, fantastically comfortable sofa like seats, and a host of features many cars in its comps set did not have in 2006 - stuff like keyless entry, in built GPS etc. And it turned out to be very reliable. 

Would heartily recommend the Sylphy for the practicality, the refinement and reliability, but not sure if the current gen version holds the same advantages over its comp set. 

I read here, some say gearbox spoil less than 2 yrs, battery spoil and fc very bad.. opinions?

I read here, some say gearbox spoil less than 2 yrs, battery spoil and fc very bad.. opinions?

Did not experience it myself re gearbox and battery, so cannot comment. Served me well in the years I owned it. 

FC was not fantastic, but I was averaging 11 to 12 km/L for a 2.0L driving normally, so not bad either. 

Actually u can short list those model u like, google sgcarmart n read the drivers reviews.

I personally will take elantra or k3, the price is 5digit cheaper than the jap car n the features r much better

Impreza 2.0l is above 90k n below 100k, very spacious n cool looking.

And ya, read the sgcarmart review on altis, it might change ur views... Many brands have improved but some still remain the same

• Praise 2

Hi friends!

Since the COE dropped i guess it's time to replace my family car!

i have 2 kids and 1 helper - all quite big sized, hence not looking for cars like Attrage..

Wanted the Impreza 1.6 but Subaru stopped bringing this in to SG :(

My budget is around 75-90k and these are my research results:

Sylphy - nice looking, good interior, but seems like a lot of problems ie gearbox issues and bad fc (from what i read here).. or can anyone say otherwise?

Altis - the base model is 95k which is very ex..., but reliable and spacious

Sienta - seriously considering this.

K3 - Spacious, cheaper than the rest, but bad fc and this is a very old model..

Eltantra - not many comments about this car, seems spacious too.

Any opinions from the experts here?

Your kids need to be on child seat?

If Yes, probably get 7 seater.

Best bang for buck is Mitsubishi Outlander. Basic SUV with sufficient space.

Or you could possibly get 2nd hand car with high OMV.

If all just need seat belt.

Altis

Axio

Wish

Sienta

Increase your budget a bit and you will have more choices.

90k and 100k is only 10k difference

1k a year! That's $90 a month!

If you smoke, quit smoking and you can possibly well afford a $110k car.

Or get a Vezel

Choose the widest car with good interior space

Edited by Atonchia
  • Praise 2

Your kids need to be on child seat?

If Yes, probably get 7 seater.

Best bang for buck is Mitsubishi Outlander. Basic SUV with sufficient space.

Or you could possibly get 2nd hand car with high OMV.

If all just need seat belt.

Altis

Axio

Wish

Sienta

Increase your budget a bit and you will have more choices.

90k and 100k is only 10k difference

1k a year! That's $90 a month!

If you smoke, quit smoking and you can possibly well afford a $110k car.

Or get a Vezel

Choose the widest car with good interior space

All grown up liao.. quite big sized one.. No need MPV unless very affordable like sienta..

Considering Slyphy, K3 or Sienta.

Sienta! most affordable 7-seater in the market currently. definitely enough space for you and your family. i have 2 baby carseats and need to drive my parents around along with wife and helper so a 7-seater is definitely needed for my case. if you do not need all 7 seats, can hide the 2 seats on the 3rd row for some spacious boot space. 

safety wise, i dont think there is too much of a concern. of course you should do your own research. 

i have nothing against the other car options, but as you should be able to tell from my signature, i'm a bit biased...  [laugh]

• Praise 1

A middle class family always requires what - better mileage, space, comfortable,low maintenance and a decent value.

Stop putting people into cookie cutter categories (especially on your first post).

People have genuine needs and need to balance finance, transport and safety requirements.

Not everyone can blow $207K on a Kia Stinger 3.3 GT (although I'd love to have one too).

• Praise 1

The prudent thing is to set a budget and shortlist the available ones before deciding. Each has their strength and weakness. Sienta is good for pocket as it is cheapest 7 seater. Slightly up is wish, carens, freed etc and so on. Mainly the Japanese, Korean in the 90-110k region.

• Praise 1

All grown up liao.. quite big sized one.. No need MPV unless very affordable like sienta..

Considering Slyphy, K3 or Sienta.

If that's the case, get the Slyphy if you don't need an MPV.

Nissan cars are quite reliable too.

My 2 friend whom own this car start grumbling what u have highlighted after ~ 2 years of their ownership too. 1 of them finally managed to get rid of this car
↡ Advertisement